BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Maceo Rigters

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The guy scored 4 goals - its not like he was banging in hat tricks - left, right and center!

True. If he had banged hat tricks, his price would have been £10M+. Given the fee, definitely worth the gamble. For £250k (or whatever the fee was) you can't get ANY Football League player.

I feel sorry for him - leaving aside the money he's made, it must be a very demoralising thing to have his dream crushed.

It was a terrible signing - Grabbi-esque in everything but the transfer fee.

A little homework should have had the alarm bells ringing. Before the Euro Champs he was a no-mark winger who had made little impact in a second rate league. Since did one Euro U21 championship make a player?

This is the victorious Dutch Euro U21 manager talking about his team's tactics and Rigters: full article

'Klaas-Jan Huntelaar's goals had taken us to the title in 2006, but he was not available anymore. Then I remembered the tactics at team handball. There you have a guy running deep in the opponent's half. He is creating havoc around the circle. I needed someone in my team who would permanently be on the edge of off-side, making the field as long possible.

'He could be played in by a long ball, which he should chase. If he would take possession, he would have to keep it and wait for the others. Most forwards tend to go to the goal immediately which leaves the rest an enormous distance to cover. This takes so much energy. So now I only needed someone to perform this tactics.

'I found Maceo Rigters, who was having an indifferent season at NAC Breda, but suited perfectly in my plans. Meanwhile Ryan Babel moved around him to take the loose balls. It worked great.

So basically, Rigters played a dog-after-stick role and his pace was effective in the tactics. Take him out of the tactics and - well, he's hopeless.

Good luck to him back in Holland. He must be pretty down.

• Backroom

I hope he can go back to Holland and pick up were he left off, not his fault he isn't good enough for our league.

All the best to him.

How could it have been worth a gamble? He was useless and has cost a lot of money.

Waste - end of story.

In 1975 and 1976 I put £10 on the nose for Red Rum to win the Grand National.

He was useless and cost me all my money.

Waste-end of.........................................

Rigters cost 400k and has earned a relative pittance in wages in his time here. I can't believe the dramatics over this. It hardly even registers as a gamble. He was a young player that cost very little that didnt work out. It happens. The fact that we're criticising Sparky over it shows how little it happens to us.

Rigters cost 400k and has earned a relative pittance in wages in his time here. I can't believe the dramatics over this. It hardly even registers as a gamble. He was a young player that cost very little that didnt work out. It happens. The fact that we're criticising Sparky over it shows how little it happens to us.

I'm not criticising anyone T4E. I can understand the "worth a gamble" viewpoints, but fact is the gamble failed, and was always likely to fail because of his playing record. Oh - and he is still costing us money and might do for some time yet.

That's all, no big deal.

Really interesting article R6, I feel sorry for the lad too, to go from Rovers to Southend and get rejected by them must be gutting.

Agreed, what an enormous waste!

When he scored that goal for Holland that beat England in the U21's, who'd have thought that he would end up getting rejected by Southend, his wheel's have all come off!

I feel sorry for him - leaving aside the money he's made, it must be a very demoralising thing to have his dream crushed.

It was a terrible signing - Grabbi-esque in everything but the transfer fee.

A little homework should have had the alarm bells ringing. Before the Euro Champs he was a no-mark winger who had made little impact in a second rate league. Since did one Euro U21 championship make a player?

This is the victorious Dutch Euro U21 manager talking about his team's tactics and Rigters: full article

'Klaas-Jan Huntelaar's goals had taken us to the title in 2006, but he was not available anymore. Then I remembered the tactics at team handball. There you have a guy running deep in the opponent's half. He is creating havoc around the circle. I needed someone in my team who would permanently be on the edge of off-side, making the field as long possible.

'He could be played in by a long ball, which he should chase. If he would take possession, he would have to keep it and wait for the others. Most forwards tend to go to the goal immediately which leaves the rest an enormous distance to cover. This takes so much energy. So now I only needed someone to perform this tactics.

'I found Maceo Rigters, who was having an indifferent season at NAC Breda, but suited perfectly in my plans. Meanwhile Ryan Babel moved around him to take the loose balls. It worked great.

So basically, Rigters played a dog-after-stick role and his pace was effective in the tactics. Take him out of the tactics and - well, he's hopeless.

Good luck to him back in Holland. He must be pretty down.

I wouldn't be too sorry for someone with 2 years to go on a £15,000 a week contract. It will stop him feeling too down as well I suspect!

I wouldn't be too sorry for someone with 2 years to go on a £15,000 a week contract. It will stop him feeling too down as well I suspect!

Where have you got £15,000 from? I can't imagine he's on anything like that as a basic wage...maybe with appearance and performance add-ons, but he's obviously not hitting those.

Archived