BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Sutton Quits Playing

I think he deserves a thread of his own.

Chris Sutton is forced to retire from pro football due to his eye problems. He has been a great for us, from 1994 to 1999. Scored 50 goals in 131 appearances, and earning the England call. Formed a deadly partnership with Alan Shearer (The SAS) that allowed us to be champions back in 1995. He even was top scorer a little after.

SUTTON_Chris_19970830_NF_L.jpg

0,,10303~171836,00.jpg

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Fantastic player. Bet he must regret the whole England B incident though. Possibly a better centre half than a centre forward IMO - and even showed he could play centre mid for Celtic. Was brilliant against us there for Celtic in the UEFA Cup at Ewood.

I never really forgive him for going to Celtic. Throw that in with his performance vs Tugay at Ewood and the fact that most people consider his Parkhead days as the best of his career and it took a lot of the gloss off Sutton in my eyes.

Silly, I know. Sad news anyway, did well for us.

Although.........maybe he's faking it so he doesn't get properly injured and rule himself out of a big Summer move?

I know Sutty left an awful taste for many people who understood what went on prior to his departure BUT

So many fantastic memories of Sutty though. Two favourites were his overhead pass to set Shearer on his way to grab the decisive goal in the 3-2 win at Spurs just after Sutty came back from injury towards the end of the 95/6 season I think then a cracking solo goal in the first minute at Selhurst to set up a 1-0 win against Wimbledon in 97/8

He was shear class on his day.

Like I said in another topic, I will always remember fondly his goal at QPR in april 95 :brfc:

Always thought his best days for us were when shearer left and he became the main man up front.

He didn't leave in the best way but then Brian Kidd was in charge.

Sutton was outstanding for us. His hat-trick against Leicester. His free kick in the last minute at Newcastle, the countless assists for Shearer (who wanted Newell as his partner). Sutton's passing and vision was better than any of the strikers we've had at the time or since and his performances for Celtic in Europe (v Juve springs to mind).

Great player for us. Thanks Sutty...

Repeating much of what has been said, but yeah fantastic player on his day.

Fave memory of him was going to Aston Villa early in the 97/98 season and seeing him complete a first half hat trick, also his free kick at home to Newcastle on the last day of that season to fire us back into Europe was a great moment.

In my opinion he was one of most over rated players ever to wear the blue and white halves! Shearer made him what he was, he only had one good season after Shearer left. If I remember rightly he spent most of his time injured. He soon proved how good a player he was when he moved to Chelsea for £10M and only scored one goal.

In my opinion he was one of most over rated players ever to wear the blue and white halves! Shearer made him what he was, he only had one good season after Shearer left. If I remember rightly he spent most of his time injured. He soon proved how good a player he was when he moved to Chelsea for £10M and only scored one goal.

Whatever...

Look how many goals he laid on for Shearer. No one's saying he was better than Shearer but Shearer's best football was when Sutton played with him.

Whatever...

Look how many goals he laid on for Shearer. No one's saying he was better than Shearer but Shearer's best football was when Sutton played with him.

Football is all about opinions as is this message board. He doesn't and never will rank in my top players ever to play for Blackburn.

Football is all about opinions as is this message board. He doesn't and never will rank in my top players ever to play for Blackburn.

So who are they then (this should be interesting).

So who are they then (this should be interesting).

Nathan blake and Ashley Ward rank higher than Chris Sutton! On a serious note, Top players to play for Blackburn in my era have got to be Simon Garner, Alan Shearer, Colin Hendry, Damien Duff and Terry Gennoe. I could continue but I don't see the point. That's my opinion anyway, but as I said football is all about opinions.

What a low opinion of mr Sutton you have my friend.

That may be YOUR opinion but did you go to EACH game that Sutty ever played for Rovers ? In all that time I think I missed 1 and for me he was a very close second to Mike Newell as Rovers number 2 striker in the recent era.

Have you not got him mixed up with nate Blake or Ashley Ward?

What a low opinion of mr Sutton you have my friend.

That may be YOUR opinion but did you go to EACH game that Sutty ever played for Rovers ? In all that time I think I missed 1 and for me he was a very close second to Mike Newell as Rovers number 2 striker in the recent era.

Have you not got him mixed up with nate Blake or Ashley Ward?

I can assure that I went to every home game he played and probably the majority of away games and in my opinon he does not rank as a top striker. It seems to me that you can't have an opinion on a player on this website without someone having a go at you. People will be telling me next that Grabbi is one of Blackburn's best ever strikers!

I thought he was at his best on the edge of the box with the ball at his feet and his back to goal. Defenders found very difficult to get the ball off him, and you just knew he was going to lay it off somewhere useful, more often than not into Shearer's path or wide to the wing, then turning his man to get in a poaching position.

A very good player.

The first time I saw him in the flesh though was when he played at the heart of Norwich's defence the day we put seven past them!

Thats not the case Blakey. In over 35yrs of watching Rovers he happens to be IMO one of the very best we have ever had.

Thats your opinion and i respect it. I've been going for around 25 years and my Dad for around 50 years and he agrees with me, so we'll just have to agree to disagree on this one.

Archived