BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Sutton Quits Playing

When he was in his prime at Rovers, the best player I've ever seen anywhere, anytime, holding the ball up with his back to goal.

Very fond memories.

Shame his off the field antics probably prevented him from being a lot more successful than he eventually was.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Whatever...

Look how many goals he laid on for Shearer.

Mike Newell laid on far more.

You could have laid on goals for Shearer, he was that good.

Sutton for me is at best 10th in the best strikers of the last 15 years due to Cole, McCarthy, Bellamy, Gallacher, Shearer, Newell, Jansen, Garner, Speedie and Sir Roy Wegerle.

I'd love to find out the real reason behind his absence in our relegation season, and subsequent move to Chelsea despite the "I'm staying" comments.

Still my favourite player of all time and not just in a Rovers shirt.

If you think he is your favourite rovers player of all time, all I can say is that you obvioulsy haven't been to many games! In the one season that Speedie was at Ewood he ranks higher than Sutton as does Bellamy.

My dad wasn't a fan of him either to be fair. I thought he was fantastic. My mums got a picture up at home with me and my two younger brothers all lined up in Sutton 9 shirts. England wise he was also unlucky he played at a time when we had a host of top strikers - Shearer, Sheringham, Ferdinand, Fowler, Cole and so on. If he was at his peak today he'd be a certainty for the squad with the likes of Defoe, Bent, Crouch and Johnson around.

B)-->

QUOTE(Ste B @ Jul 6 2007, 01:11 ) 524550[/snapback]
I'd love to find out the real reason behind his absence in our relegation season, and subsequent move to Chelsea despite the "I'm staying" comments.

The second one is easy. We wanted the 10m to balance the books a little in the wake of relegation.

I'd put him at number three in the striker list behind Shearer and Bellamy.

The second one is easy. We wanted the 10m to balance the books a little in the wake of relegation.

I'd put him at number three in the striker list behind Shearer and Bellamy.

Don't keep running the club down Rev. My recollection is that Sutton had a relegation get out clause. He earlier said he would stay if we went down, but after his move to Chelsea, he said that at that time of that promise, he thought we would not be relegated.

In effect - he lied to the fans. Nowt to do with the club wanting the cash.

I'd put it

Shearer

Sutton

Bellamy

McArthy

Garner (caught his last few seasons).

Gallagher

Newell

Speedie

Surley you mean Kevin Gallacher and not Paul Gallagher? Does Matt Janesn not make it in there? If he hadn't had his accident he would have been up there with Shearer.

Don't keep running the club down Rev. My recollection is that Sutton had a relegation get out clause. He earlier said he would stay if we went down, but after his move to Chelsea, he said that at that time of that promise, he thought we would not be relegated.

In effect - he lied to the fans. Nowt to do with the club wanting the cash.

Wasn't there also rumours of him feigning injury in that last season?

Does Matt Janesn not make it in there? If he hadn't had his accident he would have been up there with Shearer.

Whoa there! Jansen was great but no-one is up there with Shearer. In terms of quality (rather than my personal favourite) I go:

Shearer

Bellamy

Jansen

Sutton

McCarthy

Surley you mean Kevin Gallacher and not Paul Gallagher? Does Matt Janesn not make it in there? If he hadn't had his accident he would have been up there with Shearer.

Sorry yeah K Gallacer and I knew i'd missed one with Jansen. I'll stick him in now!

Whoa there! Jansen was great but no-one is up there with Shearer. In terms of quality (rather than my personal favourite) I go:

Shearer

Bellamy

Jansen

Sutton

McCarthy

I didn't say he was up there, what i said was "if he hadn't had his accident he would've been up there with Shearer". But we'll never know will we.

B)-->

QUOTE(Ste B @ Jul 6 2007, 01:11 ) 524550[/snapback]
Sutton for me is at best 10th in the best strikers of the last 15 years due to Cole, McCarthy, Bellamy, Gallacher, Shearer, Newell, Jansen, Garner, Speedie and Sir Roy Wegerle.

Seriously - or have I missed a joke? Cole was well past his prime when we signed him; Bellamy was a one-season wonder, as is Benni if he gets his way; Gallacher spent as much time in the treatment room as he did on the pitch; Jansen was at his best in a lower division; Garner was cruelly denied the chance to play in the Prem; Speedie was shipped out as soon as we got promoted; Wegerle hardly played at all...

Ashley Ward (17 for Crewe), on the other hand, had all the skill in the world.

Kevin Gallacher wasn't remotely in Sutton's class imo.

I agree with you there, when the going got tough Sutton wasn't interested.

I'm sure there were rumours of the same when he was playing for Big Club in the same situation. Can't blame him really in that case :D

Just found this:

Sutton apology.

Although rovers got the best money Rev, he wasn't pushed out, he said he wanted to leave.

Did everyone spot that bit about Dahlin at the end?

Had to pay out the useless bloater a settlement for the last year on his contract - and subsequently our insurance claim failed!

aaaarrrrrgghhhh !!

Sutty should in my opinion be held in very high esteem for his on the pitch efforts at Blackburn. I hear things about the off pitch side, but know nowt about them. Always appeared to give 100%, and always looked orgasimic after scoring ( :unsure: ) for us, I will never forget the noise at Ewood when his last minute free kick against Newcastle got us into Europe-unbeleivable.

But whatever you may think of Sutty, think about this.

_42466096_roverstitle416.jpg

Without him, I'm not sure this could have happended.

Archived