BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Sutton Quits Playing

My memories of Sutton - one sticks in the mind above all others

Anfield - I think the score was 1-1

Open net - if he hit the ball with medium force it would have been in Liverpool's goal and the premiership would have been won with many minutes to spare.

As it was, he gives the ball a flicking toe poke, the ball moves towards the net in slow motion, and just as it is about to cross the line........... cleared, and many minutes of agony for us all.

Turned out alright in the end, but I still kindda resent him for missing that chance.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Shearer

Got

To

Leave

A

Big

Gap

In

Terms

Of

Quality

Garner

Newell

Jansen

Gallacher

Bellamy

Sutton

McCarthy

IMO three players picked inbetween Shearer and Bellamy are picked on not only their goals but the love that the fans had for them, they were like cult heroes, we all know Matty never got to fulfil all of his potential but many of us still rated him as a top top player, probably for the goals he scored to get us back in the Premiership.

I'v put Sutton so far down the list, as i do believe that Shearer made him, he could never lead the line on his own IMO even though he were a target man. He was a very good player but if all rumours that were around at the time, say he were faking injury when the going got tough, that is unforgivable and as such tarnishes his reputation.

TBH though when i were growing up he were my favourite player when Shearer left, had a couple of signed photo's of the man, bought from the club shop when it were a club shop back in November 1997 before the Everton match that we won 3-2 with Duffer getting a start and a goal.

Just looked at Ozziejones picture and i should really move him higher up the list because i doubt we would have won the title without him. Kinda contradicted my own argument on him but ah well :P

always find it amusing to see how different fans see things! i guess that's one of the great things about the game!

for me - sutton is 2nd only to shearer.

countless times in the championship season, sutton gave shearer the easy assists....yet when sutty was in amazing positions and shearer should have returned the favour, he often didnt.

such a classy player. he was on another level to newell, jansen et al.

my fave memory? playing chelsea away. him and ward had a long running battle with le beouf and dessaily (sp!) it was a brutal 90 mns when all 4 of them didn't let up for a second.

when sutty scored at the death, he went runnng up to le beouf and slapped his forehead repeatedly....

for some reason - it absolutely tickled me!

shame he spoiled things at rovers by not playing and feining injury ( or so the rumours said!)

I think Super Atko has just signed another 1 year deal with Barcelona. B)

Sutton was a fantastic goal scorer but a despicable human being. Super Al preferred playing with Newell who he thought was a better all round proposition, but Sutton was more effective.

Archived