BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Pro Evolution Soccer 2008

How do you get the option file? Is it downloadable of the PSN or do you have to transfer it from PC to PS3 via, say, USB stick?

You cant get it from the PSN as its not really legal - in a way. You see, FIFA have bought the licenses for teams, kits and what not. What the guys at Konami do is give you a team edit option in game. So some sad sack will sit for a week editing all of the faces/kits/names - there will be loads out there trying to out do one another (some even sell said option file on ebay). Once they have finished editing they just save their game and their saved file is the option file which will be put up on the net for the rest of us to download and transfer via usb stick to our PS3. It will then load when your game does.

(it wont work when playing online though)

The thing I always find is that it doesn't really matter anyway. Play a game of Fifa. Look at the game itself and not the cut scenes.

Can you see the badges - no

Can you see the sponsors - no

Can you see the beads of sweat that they said would be so next gen - no

So it beggars belief why some people say that its so important to them to have this in the game - yes the cut scenes are nicer but its the game play that matters the most and Pro Evo has bags of it and Fifa doesn't.

• Replies 285
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Kamy100

Hmmmm PES2008 is not looking to promising from what I hear.

Couple of people who I know/trust have been sent promo copies of the PS3 version. These guys are huge PES fans and all 3 of them have told me that the game has one huge problem that it is very fast. They said that players run around like they are on drugs, in fact one of them said that when playing as Brazil he can quite often get Lucio to run from defence to attack. They say that this has led to gameplay which is way to fast and is leading to games against human opponents finishing 6-4 etc. They also report that there is slowdown when during cut scenes etc (this on a next gen system is atrocious).

The only slight positive note is that after a couple of days play once they had got used to the extreme pace of the game they started to enjoy it, the new animations work very well and the ball physics are excellent. Player faces are also excellent.

Other bad news is that latest issue of play magazine has panned the game and given it 70%, again this review mentions the fact the game is made wholly unrealistic because the game is just to damn fast.

You cant get it from the PSN as its not really legal - in a way. You see, FIFA have bought the licenses for teams, kits and what not. What the guys at Konami do is give you a team edit option in game. So some sad sack will sit for a week editing all of the faces/kits/names - there will be loads out there trying to out do one another (some even sell said option file on ebay). Once they have finished editing they just save their game and their saved file is the option file which will be put up on the net for the rest of us to download and transfer via usb stick to our PS3. It will then load when your game does.

The bolded bit was what I was asking :P Can you just save it then put it onto PS3 in the USB slot?

Hmmmm PES2008 is not looking to promising from what I hear.

Couple of people who I know/trust have been sent promo copies of the PS3 version. These guys are huge PES fans and all 3 of them have told me that the game has one huge problem that it is very fast. They said that players run around like they are on drugs, in fact one of them said that when playing as Brazil he can quite often get Lucio to run from defence to attack. They say that this has led to gameplay which is way to fast and is leading to games against human opponents finishing 6-4 etc. They also report that there is slowdown when during cut scenes etc (this on a next gen system is atrocious).

The only slight positive note is that after a couple of days play once they had got used to the extreme pace of the game they started to enjoy it, the new animations work very well and the ball physics are excellent. Player faces are also excellent.

Other bad news is that latest issue of play magazine has panned the game and given it 70%, again this review mentions the fact the game is made wholly unrealistic because the game is just to damn fast.

Hopefully:-

1. It will just be after playing slooooooow fifa that PES seems faster

2. It could also be the same old PES problem we get every year the new game comes out where you say that the new one is rubbish after the first couple of plays but soon realise how much better it is.

Anti-Dingle-Brigade Posted Today, 18:22

The bolded bit was what I was asking Can you just save it then put it onto PS3 in the USB slot?

Data such as saves/music/clips/photos can be transferred over via the usb stick but as far as I know not the demo's. What would be to stop some people downloading the paid games and then sticking them on the net for everyone to get for free?

I don't agree about there being no contest, a lot of it is down to the skill of the people holding the controller. Not bragging but I've won over 40% of my online games with Rovers (or Lancashire, as we are the pride of the county after all). What cheeses me off about PES6 on Xbox Live is that very few people pick their favourite team. It's more often than not Inter Milan or Barcelona. I'm very narrow-minded on this but I couldn't bring myself to keep playing with a team because the players have better skill. Boring!!!

So you dont agree that the Rovers players tire quicker and that the ball sometimes bounces off them (yes even after using the control button) and passs go astray where as a Barca player can run all day and trap anything that comes their way.

As I say I have beaten people with Rovers so its not just down to "the skill of the people holding the controller"

Yeh I agree that the players tire quicker but I wouldn't say it's no contest when you play Rovers against a top team. But your last sentence kind of contradicts itself? Correct me if I'm wrong, but what I'm getting at is that I've played people who just run in a straight line with Adriano but I've beaten them. Better team = many victories is not always true, and I have played against people who played with lower teams who would do some serious damage if they played as Inter. Therefore a lot of it is down to the person behind the controller, just work your tactic around the opposition, keep posession etc. It is possible!

Edit: Just on the AI thing, I hope it's not one standard AI for every team, I hope somehow part of it is tied in with the skill of the manager, along with a bit of randomness. Maybe too complicated to do...

Do you have a PS3? I wouldnt mind giving you a game - by all accounts you sound awsome at it

Me and my housemates are probably getting the pes 2008 for PS2. PS2 option file - this guy seems to deliver the stuff when it comes to updated option files, he delivers for PS3 as well. Is this a reasonable price for the update? or can I get it easier or cheaper any where else?

You can get it eaiser and cheaper if you wait a week - they will be everywhere to download for free (Kamy is normally first in with the links but if not the Pes Forum might have them up)

Guest Kamy100

DO NOT PAY FOR IT.

These option files will be made by PES fans for FREE.

When the PS2 option file is released I will post a link for it on here.

cheers guys, but how can I transfer it from pc to ps2?

You need a Max Drive (you can get one from Play.com) Its just a usb stick really that translates the save on the pc to your ps2 - I am sure Kamy posted exact instructions in last years option file thread

Failing that get someone you know with one to put it on their memory card and transfer it over to yours

Guest Kamy100

A good review of PES2008:

This has been one of the most difficult reviews I’ve ever done. Even more so because it’s on a game from the PES series. What is usually something easy to write, (write superlatives here etc), became something much more thoughtful and time consuming.

There’s no doubting many of you will have skimmed to the bottom to see that I gave the game 8/10. The difficulty of reviewing PES 2008 his year more than any other is rather than trying to justify why I didn’t give the game a 9 or even 10, I find myself trying to explain why it didn’t score much lower. How you find PES 2008 is going to be how you approach the game. Expect something groundbreaking and revolutionary then look away now. Expect the same addictive gameplay that will have you hooked until next year’s version, then you won’t be disappointed.

Without beating about the bush, PES 2008 on next-gen isn’t the title that it should’ve been. The most recent version on the PS2 gave Konami a fantastic starting block for the new next-gen era. To their credit they’ve developed the core gameplay from that version and evolved it into the most complete PES yet. One thing you will notice when you get onto the pitch is the feel of the game. It’s much more considered and heavy, with the ball and players carry much more weight to them. Besides this initial adjustment time needed, the game is the same as it ever was. You’ll be passing the ball about like a pro and stringing together some inspiring moves in no time. This similarity may be a sign of not much ambition shown by the developers, but to many it’s a case of ‘if it aint broke…’ etc etc. You can agree to both points, but you can’t get away with the fact that Seabass and his team have created a special game engine. To change it and risk losing an incredibly loyal fan base would be a catastrophe, and they’ve certainly played it safe.

While you may separate camp by sticking with the tried and trusted formula, everyone who picks up the game will be very satisfied with their experiences. And it’s on the pitch where the game still shines. As mentioned passing is still as crisp, with nice new animations to go with each distribution. The same goes for shooting, although you’ll need to give yourself some time to adjust to the slight change in its mechanics. In previous versions the outcome of your shot would depend on various situations (player skill, opposition pressing etc), and it’s much more integral now. This goes hand in hand with the goal keepers, who now are more skilled in shot stopping and one on ones – even if they do parry back into dangerous areas consistently. They anticipate where you are going to shoot much better, while covering all angles amazingly well. This leads to an even more satisfying feeling when you do score, if that’s possible. The ‘keepers animations also have been given a boost, making them look incredibly realistic when making those ‘for the camera’ saves. The same can be said for all the players, also specific player animations haven’t really been upped since last-gen. With more power to work with though they look even more lifelike, with players having more exaggerated movement when turning and tussling for the ball.

There’s something that many games can’t quite encapsulate, and that creating an emotional attachment with the player. It’s something PES does incredibly well, and something that gripped me the first time I played the game. Playing a Milan derby, I was locked in a tough battle until I scored a peach of a free kick with Pirlo minutes from the end. To say I jumped out of my seat and ran around the room screaming is an understatement! This had more impact with the player due to the incredibly detailed goal celebrations. When scoring a goal you really are treated to amazingly lifelike reactions, with the stars all having signature celebrations. These go out of the window when you score an important goal however, with players going mental and running over to the subs bench to get everyone involved!

Along with the feeling of scoring Seabass & co also have managed to make every player feel and play differently from one another. Players like Kaka and Seedorf can hold onto the ball easily and dictate the pace of the game, while Inzaghi can be brushed off the ball - if he’s not busy being caught offside! Perfect player representation has always been a factor in the series since it first emerged many years ago both visually and how everyone plays. And it’s visually where the game can, at times, look very much next-gen. Zoom into any of the well known player faces and you’ll witness an incredible attention to detail. Players like Michael Owen and Kaka are photo realistic, as are (unfortunately) the handsome Man Utd striking partnership of Tevez and Rooney. Like I mentioned, these details are only impressive when you zoom into the action. Once you pull the camera back the visual quality drops immensely, having the ‘what happened?!’ affect. It doesn’t ruin the experience by all means, but certainly leaves you questioning why the game suffers from slowdown. The same can be said for the crowd detail. While in the pre-match build up they look as detailed and animated as the players on the pitch themselves, once the game starts they become heavily pixelated and very ugly to look at.

Staying on the pitch, Konami have added something totally new to proceedings…DIVING! One subject that has been on the forefront of complainers minds is the ability to simulate. By pressing L1+L2+R1 your player falls to the ground trying to win a free kick or penalty. 90% of the time you will be cautioned by the referee, although I’ve been able to win quite a few penalties when playing the game. So far in my time playing PES 2008, I haven’t seen the computer try it on me yet. It will be interesting to see if it becomes an issue after prolonged play.

Another thing you’ll notice is the commentary change. For many years now Brackley and Brooking have been the two guys in the PES commentary booth, so it’s very sad to see them go. The new duo of Jon Champion and Mark Lawrenson do a decent job (Champion more so, Lawro not so much), although it’s a case of bad script more than anything else. While Champion seems to flow in his assessments quite well, Lawrensons ‘round-up’ ramblings feel like they’re straight from a script and get annoying very quickly.

Onto the front end, the game modes available in PES 2008 aren’t anything new. Whilst Master League now has a proper 2nd division and a few pics here and there to try and make it more involving, the impetuous to go on season after season doesn’t remain. Especially seeing as the teams that go into your intending league are never from the same country! The edit mode this year on next-gen gives with one hand whilst taking away with the other. The ability to scan your own face and team logo into the game is an important and much welcomed feature, and certainly adds to the realism you can re-create within the game. This unfortunately is the only high point in the mode as so many options have been minimised. Shirt templates and player edit functions have been severely stripped without reason. Along with this the menu screens are over complicated and bland, looking like an afterthought rather than a thoughtful inclusion.

Something that you won’t be able to get away from is the notable slowdown issues that the game suffers. When I played the first game I was stunned and shocked about the frame rate, its something I don’t expect from a next-gen game of any kind. After using the option to install onto the HD though things got considerably better, even though replays still are extremely choppy. You’ll also realise that playing in particular stadiums causes the slowdown to increase and make it more notable. The simple answer is to stay away from them, but to have to do that simply isn’t on. Added to the fact that the game only has 15 stadiums in the first place makes it totally unacceptable.

This considerable flaw to the game is the only major gripe that I have with PES 2008, and one of the reasons I wasn’t sure about whether to score it lower than an 8. In my eyes we shouldn’t have to accommodate slowdown and frame rate issues in next-gen, when it’s quite obvious the hardware can easily handle it. Lazy programming? Not understanding the hardware? Not enough time/people to complete the game? Whatever the reason, it’s certainly going to affect how many fans perceive the game.

Gradually for me the slowdown factor became less of an issue. After the initial shock of it being there, I started to enjoy the game for what it was. There been much talk about the core being too similar to its PS2 roots, but these roots actually save the game in the end. For all its flaws the same addictive PES gameplay is there underneath the underwhelming front end. It’s something you can’t get away from, and the reason why we’ve been playing the series for an incredible amount of years. Where this game lacks it much needed element to justify its existence on next-gen, the ‘soul’ of the game more than makes up for it. The essence of PES will strike a cord with everyone who picks up the controller and, while sounding like a cliché accustomed to the PES series, will keep you hooked until next years version. Surely, you can’t ask for much more than that?

Gameplay: 8

Graphics: 7

Longevity: 9

Overall: 8

Hmm, reading that review has got me thinking:-

Shirt templates and player edit functions have been severely stripped without reason

Does this mean that the option file will be rubbish and we wont get the proper kits after all (not that I am that fussed)

Something that you won’t be able to get away from is the notable slowdown issues that the game suffers. When I played the first game I was stunned and shocked about the frame rate, its something I don’t expect from a next-gen game of any kind. After using the option to install onto the HD

Does this mean that you wont need the disk and if so why not just rent it and take it back to the shop once installed?

Guest Kamy100
Hmm, reading that review has got me thinking:-

Shirt templates and player edit functions have been severely stripped without reason

Does this mean that the option file will be rubbish and we wont get the proper kits after all (not that I am that fussed)

Something that you won’t be able to get away from is the notable slowdown issues that the game suffers. When I played the first game I was stunned and shocked about the frame rate, its something I don’t expect from a next-gen game of any kind. After using the option to install onto the HD

Does this mean that you wont need the disk and if so why not just rent it and take it back to the shop once installed?

Nope Option File will be excellent. as they will be using the photo import feature for the kits, so they will look excellent.

Although the game is installed on the hard drive you will still need this disc, by installing it on the hard drive it just means the PS3 reads some of the gameplay stuff of HD and helps reduce/eliminate slowdown.

Nope Option File will be excellent. as they will be using the photo import feature for the kits, so they will look excellent.

Although the game is installed on the hard drive you will still need this disc, by installing it on the hard drive it just means the PS3 reads some of the gameplay stuff of HD and helps reduce/eliminate slowdown.

Ah, good news about the option file then. About the install on the HD though. Can this be done with any game? (Yes, I know I am being a lazy git here and should read the instructions for myself :ph34r: )

Guest Kamy100

Hehehe, nope it is specific games only. I guess konami realised the slowdon issues so gave us that option. Still poor that this is happening but at least by installing it on the hard drive it can be eradicated. Another cool feature is that now you can use your master leaguet team online, although the person you are playing has to agree to let you do this, still cool that you can now play your friends with master league teams!!

Hehehe, nope it is specific games only. I guess konami realised the slowdon issues so gave us that option. Still poor that this is happening but at least by installing it on the hard drive it can be eradicated. Another cool feature is that now you can use your master leaguet team online, although the person you are playing has to agree to let you do this, still cool that you can now play your friends with master league teams!!

Ah can you.

(To the tune of yellow submarine)

Number 1...is Paul Cocker

Number 2....is Paul Cocker

etc

etc

etc

We all dream of a team Paul Cockers, a team of Paul Cockers a team of Paul Cockers

I really wish I could get playing this :(

Is the motion sensor on the controller there? (The tilt sensor thing)

Not that I know of. Also, I dont know how they could implement it either - maybe pen saves?

El Tombro Posted Today, 17:42

QUOTE(Kamy100 @ Oct 22 2007, 15:31 )

Now I'm confused... can we edit the kits by ourselves or not?

Yes we can.

Ah can you.

(To the tune of yellow submarine)

Number 1...is Paul Cocker

Number 2....is Paul Cocker

etc

etc

etc

We all dream of a team Paul Cockers, a team of Paul Cockers a team of Paul Cockers

That song is reserved for Nathan Blake!

Argos are giving away a free Pro Evo football this year when you purchase PES2008 on any format.

Archived