BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Beckham In Town

Texan, I'm with you on this.

We have a similar approach down here. The codes are structured to keep the competition as even as possible by use of salary caps, drafts etc. It takes an exceptional club to maintain a team at the top of the competition when the financial demands of the top players mean that they will transfer to other clubs.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply
What it says, I think, is that there's competitive balance in MLS. Right or wrong, this is something that is considered desirable in all American sports. (As an aside, it's kind of amusing that as a matter of politics or economics, far more Americans believe in unregulated competition and the operation of free markets than Europeans, but in sport it seems to be the opposite.)

Now if one MLS club were allowed to buy up all the established stars and promising young players from all the other clubs, that side would almost certainly "happily compete in one of the big leagues." The U.S. is one of the few countries where the national team is likely better than any of the clubs, which speaks to the decentralization of talent (as well as, to be fair, the difficulty of attracting foreign stars to MLS). Now an MLS XI would probably be competitive with the national team, and the reality is that the big clubs -- Man Utd, Chelsea, AC Milan, Real, Barca, Lyon, Ajax, Porto, Bayern, not to mention Wisla Krakow, Dynamo Kiev, Dinamo Zagreb, Olympiakos, Rangers, Celtic, FC Copenhagen, Rosenborg, etc -- are little more than Best XIs from their own leagues.

Now I'm digressing, and maybe I didn't properly understand your point. But what I'm trying to say is that I don't think the lack of one dominant club says anything about the quality of the league. I, like most fans of European football, can find something to enjoy even when watching a match where I'm 95% certain of the result. But I think there's something to be said for a game where you really have no idea what's going to happen beforehand, and that's the case for probably 9 in 10 MLS matches.

I disagree with you slightly there. Whilst there is a huge difference in quality between the likes of Manchester United and Chelsea and teams like Wigan or Fulham, there is still a huge amount of talent spread throughout the top 6-8 teams. One of the major reasons why it is more difficult for a league like the premiership to achieve equal quality throughout the league is because there are simply not enough players. Unlike sports like the NBA or MLB where they are without doubt the best league going (I'm not denying the fact that there are quality players in other leagues, but American leagues in those sports do still really stand alone), the Premiership has to compete with a host of other top quality leagues. Of course salary caps, drafts and a trading system help to keep the league balanced, but a lot of it is also down to the large source of players relative to the number of teams and the fact that every single one of them will want to play in that league.

I'm not saying that the lack of one dominant club makes the league worse, but there will always be a best side and at the moment that best side in the MLS is not anywhere near good enough to compete in any of the good European leagues. The system in the United States prevents clubs from establishing long term dynasties that can go unchallenged, but it doesn't prevent them from putting together top quality sides (say like the Bulls of the 90's or Celtics of the 80's).

I came across this article on the subject which is quite good, although it seems a little too defensive and set on proving that the MLS isn't "that" bad.

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/columns/story...os1&cc=5739

I find one of the most interesting obstacles against soccer growing in the US is the fans themselves. There are many US fans who are always on about who is the better fan. It makes it tough for people to start following the sport because they just get beaten back with "you don't know anything - I know all having followed the sport since I was in the womb."

Exactly the same thing happened when hockey took off here in Belfast.

What it says, I think, is that there's competitive balance in MLS. Right or wrong, this is something that is considered desirable in all American sports. (As an aside, it's kind of amusing that as a matter of politics or economics, far more Americans believe in unregulated competition and the operation of free markets than Europeans, but in sport it seems to be the opposite.)

It's a very good thing. For example the new NHL is now highly competitive with previously unfancied teams competing against and beating powerhouse franchises like New Jersey, Detroit, Colorado and Toronto. Anaheim came from nowhere (albeit with some hugely talented players) to walk the league and blow out the Senators for Lord Stanley.

Best.

TV show.

Ever.

Set new heights on the Unintentional Comedy scale. In one way I now know why the English hate her so much (very haughty), in another I can see what David sees in her (fun gal).

I 've got to agree with you there it was so bad it was untrue! It couldn't have been scripted better!

Are there any US-based people who saw it? What has been the reaction over there?

I 've got to agree with you there it was so bad it was untrue! It couldn't have been scripted better!

Are there any US-based people who saw it? What has been the reaction over there?

I didnt see it but i havent heard it been advertised but once so that means it must not be all that good. After Britney Spears sorry sorry atempt at showing how she´s "keepin it real" people i think really dont want some thing thats already been done. It seems to me that its kinda like the Jessica Simpson show and showing how dumb she is without her really having to try, and whats with her head? Its like 10 times bigger then her body. Im suprised she doest fall over in a slight wind with that beach ball for a head shes got there. Now if it where "Victoria Beckham comes to America while not telling anyone she has tuberculocous on her internatinal flight". Now if that were the show..Hot damn i would take time off work to watch that train wreck. :lol:

I didn't see it myself, but there's a message board for a US based football radio show done by two ex-pats that was ranting about it.

basically, it was one of those shows that you can twist whichever way you want. If you wanted to make her look like a nit-wit, that could easily be upheld. Ifyou wanted to make her look fun and hip, same thing. If you wanted her to just look liek a trophy wife... a tad harder, but yeah....

It'd be itneresting to see if it got ratings, but I'd wager that it didn't since it had no hype behind it, the key to any major ratings splash here.

But speaking of TV spectacles, it was nice to see the MLS all stars dominate Celtic last night. Strachan was complimentary of the side, which is nice to hear. I'm always curious to see how these end up, since you have a pre-season Celtic against a team of in-season professions who are playing with players they'll oppose next week. It'd be nice to get Jan's point of view on the whole thing.

I didn't see it myself, but there's a message board for a US based football radio show done by two ex-pats that was ranting about it.

basically, it was one of those shows that you can twist whichever way you want. If you wanted to make her look like a nit-wit, that could easily be upheld. Ifyou wanted to make her look fun and hip, same thing. If you wanted her to just look liek a trophy wife... a tad harder, but yeah....

It would be interesting to see if it got ratings, but I'd wager that it didn't since it had no hype behind it, the key to any major ratings splash here.

I saw about half an hour and it was shocking. Typical "fly on the wall" tosh that is all over our screens. She didn't cover herself in glory and played up the glamourous footballers wife very well. I rarely see footage of her, only pictures, but she's far too skinny for me and wouldn't make my to do list, Yanks seem to think she's gorgeous though. It won't last long, much like the rest of the hype.

To fuel the standard debate the MLS All-Stars beat Celtic 2-0 last night. I don't read much into it but Steve Nicol had a bit to say: Stop having a go. Strachan was complimentary too: They were excellent.

ESPN is showing Galaxy v. Chelsea on Saturday. They will be a tad peeved if Beckham doesn't play as they have been ramping up the advertising.

ESPN is showing Galaxy v. Chelsea on Saturday. They will be a tad peeved if Beckham doesn't play as they have been ramping up the advertising.

I for one am not all that trilled about the game matchup. Chelsea has a good chance of winning but im going with the Galaxy. The game its self was sold out for the longest time now.I was luckey enough to have a friend that got hooked up via the Galaxy asst coach, but my little sisters BF tryed and tryed but couldnt buy one.

There also making a huge to do on the radio here in LA and having all sorts of contests for people to try and win tickets to the game. Shame when he dosent play and everyone gets all mad.

I think people take her more seriously than she takes herself.

Exactly . I watched it on repeat last night and thought she came over quite well ....considering she's married to Beckham and worth squillions .

Very English sense of humour I thought - quite dry and self deprecating . The bit with the blow up doll was excellent ..... :tu:

Not sure what my mate AESF made of it all , though .... :huh:

Well today was the big day. Beckham finally set foot on the pich for the first time as an LA galaxy mid fielder. Now I happened to watch the pre game show and OMG :o the hype and hoopla they made over becks actully made me sick. First of all they got all huffy puffy because he didnt come out on the pitch and warm up the team. They also hardly payed any attion to Chelsea witch actully made me chuckle because it was look heres this big bad team from england and they practily forgot to run there starting line up.

Now i have to say that john terry got man of the match for scoring the only goal of the game but it would have to be xaiver (ex middlesboro defender) that really saved galaxys ass today. Came up big on a lot of plays on set peices and crosses to help hold chelsea.

Did the EX prem champs play there hearts out...NOPE having seen Chelsea play over the seasons and even in person i would have to say that they putted around a lot and looked as to hold back. Now i would have to as i wouldnt want to get any pre season injurys but i had to answer that question just in case any one was asking.

Ok back to him actully playing. I think what made me the most ill was the fact that they actully had a f**in Beckham cam!!! They actully had a camera that would pan to him when ever he moved. The anouncer kept saying "Oh look he laceing up his soccer shoes, Oh wait hes taking his shoe off". Seems as Becks injuryed ankle was bothering him but toward the end of the game he got up and starting warming up and everyone and there mom cheared as though he had just save an old lady from getting hit by a car while crossing the street. Well after about 6 mins of warming up he ran off to the locker room to was reported to have been an ankle "re-wrap".

Well at exactely 77.30 in the game he made his debue as an LA Galaxy player and every one went nuts. From what i counted he got a total of 11 or so touches and none were all that great. He fed a long ball to Landon Donoven and it didnt produce much. He also had a bad touch that got away from him and was tackeled pretty hard by Chelseas's new signing Steve Sidwell (formerly of Reading). Now as the tackle looked hard it didnt really catch him all that badly except his trailing foot which caught his bad ankle. He went down and was down for about 1 min 30 and then poped up and was running around like he was good to go.

Now seeing as this match was an exabition match it was said that Jose morino had told his player that IF beckham were to play that all his players were going to "take it easy" on him seeing as it was "his day". I thought that was nice but it showed really how much better a top team from England is then a second to last place team is in the USA. Sad but its the truth.

Over all i really wasnt impressed with the game and of corse i wanted Chelsea to lose but i didnt get my way. :angry: Rovers Luv!!!

Nice report. Sounds like the rest of the team are going to have to live in his shadow no matter what. From the sounds of it, the leader of the x-men (xaiver) should have been given more praise but he isnt going to get a look in with Becks around.

What you have to understand RoversFanUSA is that this kind of thing dosent just happen when Becks is flying the flag in the USA it also happens here too. If you listen to Sky commentator Andy Gray on a regular basis you will learn that the bias to the big teams/players is shocking. Tugay will blast a volley from 35 yards and of course it will be clapped but soon forgotten about. Paul Scholes does it a week later and it will be the best technical goal you will have ever seen. Same with other things. A pass will go over to Ronaldo and he wont trap it properly and he will blame Darren Fletcher who messed the pass up.

Just seen some clips of the Becks Party on sky - hell mate, your county really know how to go over the top dont you :lol:

Nice report. Sounds like the rest of the team are going to have to live in his shadow no matter what. From the sounds of it, the leader of the x-men (xaiver) should have been given more praise but he isnt going to get a look in with Becks around.

What you have to understand RoversFanUSA is that this kind of thing dosent just happen when Becks is flying the flag in the USA it also happens here too. If you listen to Sky commentator Andy Gray on a regular basis you will learn that the bias to the big teams/players is shocking. Tugay will blast a volley from 35 yards and of course it will be clapped but soon forgotten about. Paul Scholes does it a week later and it will be the best technical goal you will have ever seen. Same with other things. A pass will go over to Ronaldo and he wont trap it properly and he will blame Darren Fletcher who messed the pass up.

Just seen some clips of the Becks Party on sky - hell mate, your county really know how to go over the top dont you :lol:

Bit like Derbs goal today, got sick of hearing how lucky it was. I thought it was well struck and bounced right before the keeper, just like you want on a bumpy pitch. Now call me cynical but I have a feeling had Mssrs Ronaldo or Rooney done that it would have been described as brilliant, technically perfect, or what a smart player or some other mushy gushy ###### sloppy gooey stuff that drools from the 'tater's mouths

Fast becoming sick of all the hype surrounding Beckham / Galaxy on SSN. Jeez, they can't seem to get enough of sucking his . . . well, I'm sure you get the idea! I'm sure it won't be long before Sky get the MLS, to indulge in their obsession. :angry: I'll be glad when the Premierhip season kicks off.

• 3 weeks later...

Just in time for the prem start, Becks made an appearance in a MLS league game, finally... to a packed house in DC, 40K+ in attendance. Came on as a sub ~4 mins after his side went down to 10 men.

The announcers claimed he looked good, I beg to differ. He looked slow and lazy, but did his role, sat in the middle and tried to distribute, which he did poorly. Although, he had one nice through ball only stopped by a bit of brave defending and acrobatics by the keepere to make a sliding tackel and then NOT touch the ball with his hands as he slid out of the box, and had one free kick which he put into a dangerous spot. He was a tad wasteful overall though.

Galaxy actually had two very good chances to equalize while down a man, but the attacking sub missed two chance that could be thought of as sitters. Becks did nothing for all of them (except and easy switch of fields for one of the crosses).

Maybe now the hype will die down a bit! :)

Well the hype down this part of the World is huge as he and the Galaxy are playing Sydney FC at the old Olympic Stadium. At the moment with the game three months away there's talk of more than 40,000 tickets already being sold for what is a Mickey Mouse game :o

I was at the match

honestly the spectacle of the "event" was plain annoying, but it did draw ~47000 people to a football match mid-week. (Typically the stadium is capped at ~24500 for matches but this one was "special")

Not quite a derby match but DC was playing LA who is a long time rival and the team DC has beaten twice to win the league championship.

Most of what was said about Becks by the other poster is true - seemed to be a defensive MF and his passing, while an improvement of most of the MLS quality, was lacking for him. I say this in contrast to Xavier's first game where he was conecting 60 yard passes exactly on target. Then again Xavier had more than 2 full training sessions with his squad before playing.

Best part was seeing a supporter group banner that read "we sing better than your wife"

all in all, the atmosphere was far greater than normal, and thankfully pro-DC. The only real annoying moment came in the frist half when Becks started to warm up on the sidelines. Before the match, he didn't warm up with his squad (unless he was doing so on his own "backstage"), so given this and the fact LA was rather poor in the first half, it was certanily a distraction when 20000 people start screaming because a man gets off the bench to start jogging.

i thought becks showed why he is a class player, when he came on...immediately providing his team mates with 3 0r 4 golden opportunities to equalise. his calmness on the ball was a far cry from his team mates always seeming to be rushing and panicing when in posession and not really knowing what to do. the way i saw it was that some of the rest of the team are simply not good enough and are totally not on the same wave length as becks. defensively, the galaxy are simply atrocious.

Well the hype down this part of the World is huge as he and the Galaxy are playing Sydney FC at the old Olympic Stadium. At the moment with the game three months away there's talk of more than 40,000 tickets already being sold for what is a Mickey Mouse game :o

Sydney will probably batter them. I went to their game vs Manly Utd on wednesday expecting to see Juninho but he didnt play!

Sydney will probably batter them. I went to their game vs Manly Utd on wednesday expecting to see Juninho but he didnt play!

You're down here, and you haven't let us know?

Time for an ale or three lads.

How long are you here for BR?

I'm away next weekend 18/19th, going to Fiji on 1/9 for a few days but can make any other date.

Archived