BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Beckham In Town

Sydney will probably batter them. I went to their game vs Manly Utd on wednesday expecting to see Juninho but he didnt play!
If you're really desperate you could head out to Penrith next Wednesday in the hope he'll play, or better yet wait until the first game of the A-League season.

As for ale, I know a certain Victorian based Rovers fan will probably be up here during the Labour Day long weekend.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 9 months later...

It's not Wimbledon, but it still takes something to keep your cool and to have the skill to hit the ball that far and within the goal when you do have people around you. It isn't absolutely amazing, but he's probably the only player on that pitch who could have done it, at least, the only one who I think would do it without a large slice of luck.

It's not Wimbledon, but it still takes something to keep your cool and to have the skill to hit the ball that far and within the goal when you do have people around you. It isn't absolutely amazing, but he's probably the only player on that pitch who could have done it, at least, the only one who I think would do it without a large slice of luck.

similar to a Graham Hawkins goal at ewood! or was it Mc Namee!

:rover:

Just out of curiosity, how many of the players on that pitch have you seen play before (on TV or in person, as I'm not fickle about that?) :)

Practically all of them. As I grew up in America I've watched the MLS for a long time and still keep an eye on it and watch it when I can. By their own admission the other players say they couldn't have done it.

I'm guessing that the "I couldn't have done it" statements are more to appease the marketting giant of the goldenballs machine more than anything else... After all, if everyone thought they could do it, they'd lose the cachet of having another "amazing" beckham goal. IMHO, it was a good bit of skill, but hardly something that should be "impossible" for a skilled professional. Then again a good goal by a 'star' always becomes a great goal, and a great goal by an average player always becomes a good goal.

As I said before, I didn't think it was fantastic, but it has also been dismissed by a lot of people in Europe as simply having been an open goal (including Sir Loud-Mouth Bentley). Less skilled players than Beckham can do it and will sometimes, but I think the majority of the time they either won't get a good enough connection or they'll snatch at it. I'm sure every player on that pitch could do it, but had it been any of the others I doubt they would have shot so early and I would have been surprised had it gone in, I wasn't surprised to see Beckham pull it off.

Archived