BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Top 10 Waste Of Money Players

He was also a key part in the side that finished 6th the following season and it was his partnership with Stead that saved us from relegation later on (Stead scored more of the goals, but he couldn't have managed it without Cole).

at rovers, his stats read : 83 apps, 27 goals. now, bearing in mind, he scored 13 in his 1st season for us, i think its a poor return for an 8M fee and 60K a week in wages.

....weren't rovers bottom at one point??

dont recall being bottom (but i could be wrong). we were certainly close to, if not in, the relegation places.

at rovers, his stats read : 83 apps, 27 goals. now, bearing in mind, he scored 13 in his 1st season for us, i think its a poor return for an 8M fee and 60K a week in wages.

but he would have continued at a better rate had players like jansen, duff & dunn been around.......at United Cole was a goal machine.....while he was in the team.

but he would have continued at a better rate had players like jansen, duff & dunn been around.......at United Cole was a goal machine.....while he was in the team.

i'm not convinced. his body language was shocking, and especially away from home, his performances were poor at best.

14 goals in 2 seasons is a shocking return, for a player with his reputation.

That is harsh! I always thought Cole was great in a rovers shirt, and yeah you can say that Jansen was the top scorer that season but it was because he had a good player alongside him, and yeah we finished 10th but when Cole signed we were 18th!! and for a side at 18th to gamble 6.5million on one player and staying up is a rather astute bit of business considering it was worth 20 million to stay in the league at that time and lets not forget he scored in both the league cup semis and the winner in the final... just a little contribution! If we are looking at waste of money players lets stick to the Davies, Grabbi's etc of this world and leave legends like coley well alone!

That is harsh! I always thought Cole was great in a rovers shirt, and yeah you can say that Jansen was the top scorer that season but it was because he had a good player alongside him, and yeah we finished 10th but when Cole signed we were 18th!! and for a side at 18th to gamble 6.5million on one player and staying up is a rather astute bit of business considering it was worth 20 million to stay in the league at that time and lets not forget he scored in both the league cup semis and the winner in the final... just a little contribution! If we are looking at waste of money players lets stick to the Davies, Grabbi's etc of this world and leave legends like coley well alone!

Wouldn't go as far as to call him a Rovers legend, but other than that I totally agree with you post. Here are a few more that didn't work out, and that should be ahead of all most of the ones in the list already:

Scott Parker - Charlton -> Chelsea £10 mill (~10 starts in 18 months)

Wayne Bridge - So'ton -> Chelsea £8 mill (from everpresent at Southampton to an average of less than 20 games a season for the past 4 years)

Robbie Fowler - Liverpool -> Leeds £11 mill (managed about 25 games...)

Michael Owen - Real Madrid -> Newcastle £16 mill (14 games/7 goals in 2 years)

There probably a good few more.

I think with Cole it's no coincidence that Stead had his best matches in a Rovers shirt alongside Cole. Cole's movement off the ball was always excellent, giving his strike partner chances and he also seemed good at developing Stead's game.

The Times did a better 50 worst transfers on July 18th.

We're in at 27 for Kevin Davies and 23 for Grabbi. On the other hand the 13th worst is Sutty heading to Chelsea. There's a little explanation for all of them. Some real bad ones in there!

They also did a 50 top transfers.

Brad's 48 and Shearer's 34, and Coleman to Fulham is 47.

Some good ones in this. The 2nd top one is a transfer from 1925. Again a little paragraph explaining exactly why. Interesting stuff.

Archived