[Archived] Santa Cruz

Best striker since Shearer?  

133 members have voted

1. 1. Is he the best since Shearer?

• Yes.
    • No
    • Grooby is better than santa.
    • Yes, but he'll be gone by the end of the season
    • Yes, but he'll still be around for a few years yet.
    • No, he's nowhere near to the mighty Shearer

I think this signing is all about hughes expecting to be in europe and having good cup runs this year. Last season when we were in the uefa cup the players were getting tired. This time around he is going to be able to play mccarthy and cruz for a prem match and then mccarthy and roberts for a european match and still have alot of talent on the bench.

• Replies 532
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'm not sure about him to be honest. It smells like he's coming more to hypen himself up for the big clubs. And Roberts and Derbyshire have earned their chance for us, I really wouldn't want to keep them on the bench all season.

I have no problem with that as it means he will be scoring goals. The man is 25, if the height of his ambitions is playing for us then maybe he isn't as good as we all expect, mind you given his goal scoring record he doens't have alot to live up to.

Roberts will still be first choice, he has been our best striker in pre season.

Decent signing for the money.

I have no problem with that as it means he will be scoring goals. The man is 25, if the height of his ambitions is playing for us then maybe he isn't as good as we all expect, mind you given his goal scoring record he doens't have alot to live up to.

Roberts will still be first choice, he has been our best striker in pre season.

Decent signing for the money.

I'd much rather have half-decent players whose passion is Blackburn Rovers, than "superstars" who leave us as soon as someone big comes knocking (Bellamy). We can't progress as a club without players who are willing to put the team first.

I'd much rather have half-decent players whose passion is Blackburn Rovers, than "superstars" who leave us as soon as someone big comes knocking (Bellamy). We can't progress as a club without players who are willing to put the team first.

They give you quality though, without such quality we would struggle. That type of palyer gives you the edge. Sure in an ideal world you want a player that would give everything for the club and wouldn't ever move, a Shearer for newcastle. I don't think it's possible though. I'd much rather have benni scoring 20 and moving on in a couple of seasons than have a dickov scoring 5-7 a season and staying for his whole career.

I agree with your point but i'm not sure it's practical if you want to do well in the premier league.

I certainly wouldn't. Gallagher and Ciaran Donnelly can love Blackburn as much as any fan, but they won't take you to the next level like Bellamy did - because they're not good enough.

Now, on what basis can you say Santa Cruz is here only to make him more attractive to bigger clubs - and why the hell does it even matter? He's signed for £3,8m, if he scores fifteen goals and earns himself rave reviews - his price might triple - and it will only do Blackburn good. The end result is what matters, to me anyway, I don't really care about Santa Cruz' reasons for wanting to do well as long as he does.

One thing's for sure, we certainly have great depth to our squad. Hughes has obviously learnt from last season.

You have to wonder where Derbyshire and Rigters will fit in. Personally, I think Hughes will be employing Rigters on the wing a fair bit next season.

I just can't understand why there are people questioning the signing. Yes his record may look awful, but you don't stay at bayern munich for as many seasons as he has without being class. He is still only 25! I'm genuinely excited about him. Looking at our front line, we've now got 2 champions league winners as our strikeforce. Surely, this is something for us all to be happy about.

One thing's for sure, we certainly have great depth to our squad. Hughes has obviously learnt from last season.

You have to wonder where Derbyshire and Rigters will fit in. Personally, I think Hughes will be employing Rigters on the wing a fair bit next season.

Rigters and Derbyshire are both versatile and can play on the wings, and with us fighting on four fronts, I'm not worried that either will suffer from lack of game time. This signing also gives Hughes the possibility to adjust his lineup (even more) according to who we're facing and that'll hopefully give us more points than last season. I don't think McCarthy will 'burn out' like he did during last season as he can rest a game in-between without us worrying who'll score when he's not on the pitch - it'll keep everyone on their toes which can only be a good thing Imo.

Think it's an excellent signing! As someone pointed out a few days ago, he doesn't have a particularly good goalscoring record but he is still held in quite high regard due to his footballing talent. I think the fee paid was relatively low (some reports I've seen say £3.4mil whilst some say £3.8mil) so if we don't get a return through goals at least it's not a lot lost especially considered to other "big" forward signings we've made in recent years. Besides, I have every faith in Hughes' ability to bring the goals out of him and for a striker who is lacking goals, I don't think there's a better role model than Hughes.

If anyone goes as a result of this I think it will be Gallagher or Jeffers. Hughes has made it perfectly he does NOT want to sell Benni, Matty or Jay (and obviously not the new boy either, Maceo) but I see this as crunch time: it must now be decided whether or not Gally will ever be good enough to play regular first team football for us (I think not because a player his age should already have more first team experience if he was good enough) and also whether it is worth keeping Jeffers in a gamble that he might get good again (and again I think not because with so many decent strikers we don't need to gamble on him at his age - should have sold him to Ipswich but maybe we will now Hughes has signed another).

Archived