BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Foreign Rovers Fans

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Hey, AmericanRover12, there are a few other Rovers on this messageboard from the easern coast of the states, I know of Boston, Florida, DC, Philly, myself in DE (eariler from Maine)....

In 2005 there was a "mini-reunion" from the 2003 Rovers in America visit, with 6-8 of us meeting up for the UEFA Cup Final and then DC vs LA (one of us was visiting from LA and had his horribly ugly shirt from the early years).

If anyone wants to come down again, just let me know

Other supporters have used this forum in the past for meet-ups as well (I think there was an Aussie one within the past year)

Hey, AmericanRover12, there are a few other Rovers on this messageboard from the easern coast of the states, I know of Boston, Florida, DC, Philly, myself in DE (eariler from Maine)....

well when i move in to school next thursday, ill be only about a half hour out of philly. A rover's get-together for a match at a bar or something would be spectacular.

Great stories from everyone, kinda know where people are coming from because I'm a big fan of the LA Dodgers, yet have never been anywhere near LA. The stories do show though that people get introduced to teams by following certain players, therefore signing some more Americans, Australians or even a Singaporean might be good for the club! Keep up the support!!

(Live in Blackburn, about 10 mins drive from the ground, Grandad, 2 Grandmas, 2 Uncles, Dad, Mum, Sister and 3 cousins all season ticket holders, didn't have much choice really! :D)

well hellooo thar.

i am the only blackburn supporter i know. Born and bred Canadian (London, Ontario, Canada) now doing a year of uni in Wellington NZ. My family back home has ties to Liverpool but of course I had to be different. That left me with a choice: so one day I had decided that 'yes, i am going to make the effort to follow the EPL' (we got 3 matches per week on Sportsnet, and I just loved football too much to not have a team anywhere).

I sat in front of the computer, figured out how the league worked, etc. and researched all the teams in the top flight. Being a Toronto Maple Leafs hockey fan I know the torture of watching a team with all the resources in the world flounder year after year. Thus, I decided to choose an 'underdog' team that came from a proud history with prior successes and the probability of continued top flight participation. A longstanding epic rivalry was also a requirement (Damn you Burnley, Damn you all to hell!). I wanted to have a quality online location to follow the team when i could not watch games on tv. After much pondering and research = Voila! Blackburn Rovers and BRFCS fit the bill nicely (loved the distinctive uniform too hehe). That was in 2002. I read the message boards every day and catch as many matches as possible on tv (if they are shown on replay i just avoid the sportsnews for a few days). Better yet - in January i'll be moving to London (UK, not my hometown in Canada = confusing) and will be able to attend my first match at Ewood. THAT will be a great day.

My brand new jersey is on its way (finally!!!!!!!!) from the official team shop: home kit / 4 / Samba

... and that's my little blackburn story.

cheers,

-Ashraf

ps. 2-1 to rovers this weekend.

1st time i came across blackburn was the match against norwich (7-1 scoreline) a long long time ago. since then ....... its all blackburn....

also, i think that the name of the club, the jersey and my personal favorite........ the badge (red rose in the middle) are just simply so damn beautiful, my love for this club is beyond words....

have been a loner for too long. please tell me someone out there in singapore share the same love as me..... :lol: thanks......

Interestingly many foreign fans (including me) started supporting Rovers after our first season in the EPL (the jersey, the 7-1 nd the badge were decidng factors in my case as well!). OTOH not many started supporting after we won the league..

well hellooo thar.

i am the only blackburn supporter i know.

Impossible as you're a member of these boards ;)!

But for 'us' foreigners it would be, as mentioned in this thread before, very helpful to get some advice on the town of Blackburn. Getting there is 'plannable' by the internet, but that same world wide web doesn't gives much advice about staying overnight. Maybe some (americans) people who've been there already have some tips on good and cheap hotels IN Blackburn? Check the 'away travel' thread, all the input is more than welcome.

Impossible as you're a member of these boards ;)!

But for 'us' foreigners it would be, as mentioned in this thread before, very helpful to get some advice on the town of Blackburn. Getting there is 'plannable' by the internet, but that same world wide web doesn't gives much advice about staying overnight. Maybe some (americans) people who've been there already have some tips on good and cheap hotels IN Blackburn? Check the 'away travel' thread, all the input is more than welcome.

I'm sorry! I don't know any good, cheap hotels in Blackburn!

Someone must know some, though?

There seems to be a number of foreign/travelling fans that visit this site that want to attend games and meet up with fellow Rovers fans - probably preferably people that they 'know' from on here?

Does anyone ever make sure that they've got a good welcome at Ewood from their fellow fans? There's been a few rallying calls on here recebtly for help meeting up before games etc and I haven't spotted any responses, although people might have PMed them.

I'd hate to think of somebody travelling from say, the US, and attending a game without actually getting to speak to anyone (especially as we can be a pretty miserable bunch in East Lancs sometimes). It must be really daunting visiting a new country and attending at the cauldron(?) that is Ewood.

Maybe this goes on without me knowing?

I have always quite liked the way Dunfermline AFC have dealt with this situation. Whenever a foreign or ex-pat supporter of the club is at the match it is always announced over the PA and the crowd respond by giving them a good clap. The visitor is also invited by the club to one of the supporters bars for after match drinks and the chance to meet with any other supporters that are there.

I have always quite liked the way Dunfermline AFC have dealt with this situation. Whenever a foreign or ex-pat supporter of the club is at the match it is always announced over the PA and the crowd respond by giving them a good clap. The visitor is also invited by the club to one of the supporters bars for after match drinks and the chance to meet with any other supporters that are there.

Wow. :tu:

A US supporter from LA ( called Patrick, I think) was invited to the Radio Rovers commentary box a few years back. I happened to call from Sydney after the game and had a few words with him and Gerald.

Now THAT is cool! Be nice for the Rovers to roll out the carpet for foreign fans, especially when i'm there in Sept.! :rolleyes:

I'm going along with the recommendation by American and going in for the Fernhurst when I come over. As far as any other recommendations, I've not seen much other than the posh hotels like the Dunkenlagh, Millstone, etc. Every hotel seems to be on the other side of Blackburn from Ewood as well!

I was surprised that there were no B&B's in Blackburn. There might be, but I never came across them over the internet and I've not seen one recommended through here...

well when i move in to school next thursday, ill be only about a half hour out of philly. A rover's get-together for a match at a bar or something would be spectacular.

Hypo-Luxa and I have already set up a meet up for Saturday's Blackburn-Everton game here in the Dallas-Fort Worth area. We'll also be trying to get this one Everton supporter to join us from a baseball blog that we both post on as well.

Since the Setanta USA Channel (now Setanta North America) took over half of the Premier League & UEFA responsibilities from Fox Soccer, ESPN and PPV last season we've been on the TV a lot more here in the US. We had an average of about 12-15 matches (all competitions) on live each year before 06-07. Last year saw 31 of 53 matches (6 of 8 UEFA, 5 of 7 domestic cup, 20 of 38 league) screened live last season, as well as quite a few others on a delayed basis. That kind of exposure is sure to bring about an increase in American supporters anyway.

groo

Any plans for a euro away trip this season? I've been on the official site for over a year and a half and was at the semi last season with a lad from Dundalk who's also a member.

We're hoping to make it to the next away game in Europe, so I'm just wondering if you have any plans? (PS, I'm not planning on stalking you or owt LOL) :lol::tu:

Hi Brian,

Thanks for the message. Will PM you or indeed you could do likewise. Will try a few away games in Europe next season, but I won't be able to go as I'm changing jobs and mid-weeks are basically a non-goer for me. A few members are very keen in this possibility. Heading over this Thursday and put in an application for a season-ticket.

Hello everybody!

I started supporting Rovers in 1990, so that's 17 years now! :rover: I've been once at Ewood Park(1999, we won) and once in london(2001 we lost to Spurs :angry: ), my third game was last week when Rovers finally arrived to Finland :P ...so just 3 games live, but seen about 200-300 games from tv or internet...BRFC has been part of my life every single day since 1990 and long may it continue!

PS. I remember when I was at Ewood and people were shouting "We're blue' we're white' we're fuc#ing Dynamite!". I been using that shout here in Finland(in pubs if we're on tv etc.) and it freaks people out!(and they are asking if I'am from england? :D )

Both of my parents are from Blackburn. I was born here in Australia and i would look in the paper for results every now and then but didn't really care one way or the other.

Then in 2000 i went to England and Blackburn for the first time to visit family which i have lots of in Blackburn. I arrived in August and everyone was talking about some man called Jack Walker who had passed away. This Jack Walker had something to do with the club but i didn't know what it was. My uncle Mick then took me to the next rovers home game after Jack Walker passed away against Norwich. I quickly learned who Jack Walker was and how much of a great man he is. We beat Norwich 3-2 and i became a rovers fan for life, even if i did have 10quid on a 3-1 result and we let them score a 2nd lol.

When i got back to Australia i brought a computer and have followed rovers ever since. I still have the match day program from that day with Uncle Jack on the front. I still even have the ticket and can tell you the seat i had, Darwen end lower row 5 seat 85 :lol:

Archived