BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Spurs

Eddie

I couldn't believe how many times Sherwood mentioned that Robinson had been making mistakes. I've no idea if Robinson and Sherwood were friends before the show but I suspect they aren't now.

Spurs looked shambolic at the back. Please let Jol stay another week - we could get 6 or 7 against them on Sunday if he's still there.

• Replies 411
  • Created
  • Last Reply
So who was in goal for Spuds tonight?

Cerny.

If we can beat Spurs come Sunday I'll be lost for words. This season bar the UEFA-exit has been utterly magnificent so far! Samba signing a five year extension, Santa Cruz looking increasingly like the bargain of the season, McCarthy turning up for games again, Dunnie's doing better and better, Bentley's audacity and flair and I could go on. We even have a couple of players that haven't even hit top form yet, Morten Gamst Pedersen in particular, and to top it all off we're getting injured players back from injurie; Nelsen and Reid most notably.

However, in the past when we've been optimistic about the results we always seem to hit a slump. My feeling is that we'll not win in four games now, and bounce a little bit back come Xmas leaving us at 8th. Also these last few words should neutralize any jinxes put in place in the first paragraph.

We were Jol's first game after he took over from Santini. Just our luck that Spurs who had been on an awful run were galvanised so much by the new set up that they beat us. Lets hope that we are Jols last game and not their first game under a new manager ........ especially if that new manager is one that we all think so highly of.

btw Tonight Dawson made Titus Bramble look like Franz Beckenbaur!

I'm always worried when we play sides who are horribly out of form, I tend to think we'll help them out. Just look at Pompey, no away win this year and they get a nice one at Ewood. No matter how well or poorly they are playing I always think a game against Spurs will be tough. If we can get a win out of this one it would be a great result. Having said that, given their form and general state of affairs if we don't get a win then we will have missed out. I know that is an odd way to look at it.

I'm always worried when we play sides who are horribly out of form, I tend to think we'll help them out. Just look at Pompey, no away win this year and they get a nice one at Ewood. No matter how well or poorly they are playing I always think a game against Spurs will be tough. If we can get a win out of this one it would be a great result. Having said that, given their form and general state of affairs if we don't get a win then we will have missed out. I know that is an odd way to look at it.

Eddie, I think you have called it absolutely right. A double high anxiety fixture with a real Catch 22.

I reckon Gatafe will roll them over on Thursday and then he will be out (the next prem manager to be sacked has dissapeared from William Hill)

Dont know if this will be good for us or bad either way, hopefully they are tired out and we stuff them on sunday

Im afraid this is all set-up for a Spurs victory. It will be Jol’s last chance to get a result and rovers as usual we will oblige, as we usually do against struggling sides.

I really hope not , because I dislike Spurs and revel in there misfortune

'fraid I've got to agree with Bazza here. We've got a long history of providing succour to the needy.

still Spuds in the bottom 3 :)

pffft

Im pretty gutted about this as I have been planning to go for ages but can't get tickets as I don't have any record on the Rovers database (never bought a ticket in advance, always on the door/from people selling on tickets they can't use home and away).

Anybody know any way I could get hold of 2 tickets for this game? Im a regular on here, obviously not a Spurs fan chancing his arm, and absoluely able to pay immediately if met beforehand at a local pub.

Im pretty gutted about this as I have been planning to go for ages but can't get tickets as I don't have any record on the Rovers database (never bought a ticket in advance, always on the door/from people selling on tickets they can't use home and away).

Anybody know any way I could get hold of 2 tickets for this game? Im a regular on here, obviously not a Spurs fan chancing his arm, and absoluely able to pay immediately if met beforehand at a local pub.

I wouldn't have thought we would sell out our allocation, do you have to be on the database for all away games?

Hi - first time poster and all that!

I personally don't think it's a bad time to be playing Spurs. I appreciate we have a poor record against the struggling sides (last season especially), however that's not been the case this season - Middlesborough, Birmingham and Sunderland aren't exacly setting the Premiership on fire this year and we've had no hiccups with them.

Spurs are desparately looking for a win which could "turn around their season" - that's didn't happen last night obviously. If it had they would have been confident going into our game - as it now stands they won't be (regardless of their result on Thursday).

Of course the worst case scenario is Jol getting potted before then.

Incidentally I went onto a Spurs forum today and a lot of the talk was of Hughes being touted as a possible successor to Jol?!? Why would he possibly want to move there? Surely it's the Gamst thing from summer/January all over again - Spurs fans have serious delusions of the status their club is held in!

There are about 200 tickets left for this game. Normally we have them on open sale, but because Tottenham have sold out the home areas, and taken our optional extra allocation no doubt they have requested that we put them on limited sale, hence the 'on sale to database supporters only' statement.

Your only option is to do precisely what you have done previously to get a ticket. Next time get your name associated with the ticket you have purchased, it isn't hard at all, just call up after the weekend of a game and state which seat/row of a home game you have purchased and get that assigned to your details.

You could try the London supporters branch www.manymilesfromhome.co.uk as they may be able to assist, but leaving it until this late stage isn't ideal either I'm sure you'd agree.

I hate to say it but possibly because:

a: they have a larger transfer kitty (unless they spent up over Summer!);

b: *cringe* Tottenham with Hughes at the helm could attract very high profile players (capital city club and all that).

On the other hand Rovers, as a low key/profile club, possibly suits Hughes down to the ground. Becoming Tottenham manager is probably as bad as taking on the England job. Huge expectations with a set of average players (by Premiership standards).

Lets not be daft... Spurs have a bunch of excellent players- Berbatov, Lennon, Zakora, Bent, Defoe, Keane, Malbranque, Bale, Chimbonda. A far deeper and more varied range of attacking talent than we have here. If Hughes went there he could clean up over a three year period I am sure as he got the best out of what was available and would have the money to buy in who he wanted (which I am sure would include a few of our players).

However I am not really worried as:

a) Things are going very very well at Rovers (crowds and Europe aside) and very very poorly at Spurs.

B) The Spurs board have bungled handling Jol and I am sure Hughes would be dubious about how his own role as Spurs manager would be affected by the chairman and so on.

c) I doubt the director of football system suits Sparky.

d) Sparky is now reaping the rewards of 3 years hard work. He will be curious to see what he can achieve with this team he has built for virtually nothing. Like Mourinho winning the European Cup with Porto, if Hughes can make major inroads into the big four with Blackburn then his reputation as a quality manager is assured.

There are about 200 tickets left for this game. Normally we have them on open sale, but because Tottenham have sold out the home areas, and taken our optional extra allocation no doubt they have requested that we put them on limited sale, hence the 'on sale to database supporters only' statement.

Your only option is to do precisely what you have done previously to get a ticket. Next time get your name associated with the ticket you have purchased, it isn't hard at all, just call up after the weekend of a game and state which seat/row of a home game you have purchased and get that assigned to your details.

You could try the London supporters branch www.manymilesfromhome.co.uk as they may be able to assist, but leaving it until this late stage isn't ideal either I'm sure you'd agree.

London Branch has rules on ticket applications too - namely you have to be a paid up member and apply 2-3 weeks in advance by post with full payment ... so they ain't going to be able to assist for Sunday.

It's great seeing Spurs going through such a torrid spell. They are a team that I thoroughly dislike and it goes to show that you can spend all the money in the world on players, but you won't go anywhere, unless you can get them to gel. I'm sure Hughes could do a good job with those players, but then again he is doing it his own way at Rovers. I'm sure there is some money to spend if needs be, but he doesn't just go and spend it on a big name that won't necessarily work out.

We are playing them at the right time. They are low on confidence and their defence looks weak. You could say that because they are in poor form, they are a dangerous team, which is true to some extent. But I'd rather play them now, when they are playing like crap, than if they were on a great run of form.

Okay - who were smirking complacently about Michael Chopra's transfer fee?

A debut doesn't make a season (as we know from Brett Emerton amongst others) but mark my words, Chopra is gonna have a prolific season. The media fawn over Andy Johnson and his pace and eye for goal. For Johnson, see Chopra.

BTW Spurs are a different/inferior side without Aaron Lennon.

Me...and i'm still smirking!

Archived