BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] England's Injury Crisis

Judging by what I've read on this side of the pond and reading between the lines of McClaren's constant reference to the word character I would bet David's not getting anywhere near the squad.

Ironic that Pearce after making such a fuss about Bents has welcomed the Villa lad back. I was always taught that honesty is the best policy, I guess not.

• Replies 451
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Based on his form last season and the probable injuries Bentley is a logical choice for the right midfield berth. However he is automatically disqualified from playing for england because he plays for rovers. The U21 withdrawl is just a nice excuse - it's the blue and white halves that cost him from playing for england.

As for the others - they won't even get near due to competition. One thing that really annoys me is that regardless of fitness Owen and Rooney are always automatic for england. Yes they're both class acts but if you're not fit enough to play it doesn't matter how much talent you have you'll be of limited use. I'm tired of england always choosing favourites when they're blatently not fit enough to play.

Personaly I don't give a toss about any poxy friendlies and would be delighted if none of our players got picked for any international teams. Its certainly not the fact that they play for Rovers that stops people getting picked. Fair enough, there is some big 4 bias but its not an anti-Rovers bias. Remember a few years ago half the England team were Rovers players. Truith is we haven't had anyone anywhere near the England team in the last decade so thats why no-one's been picked. I'm pleased that Bentley pulled out of the waste of time tournament he was picked for in the summer but he must have realised at the time that there would be a price to pay and he couldn't expect to get straight into the full England team.

Bentley not in the next England squad.

I don't know McLaren's reasons yet, but by inference of his last quotes saying that he wanted to know whether Bentley had the right attitude, this suggests that he thinks that he hasn't,

McLaren would have been better to keep his thoughts to himself.

Mclaren really can't afford to be complacent and continue not picking the best players at his disposal- his job's on the line

i can't understand the article now on the bbc website- all it says is hughes says bentley won't be in the squad for the germany game, but it offers no substance as to why this is the case.

as for bentley not getting picked simply because he plays for rovers- i consider that not to be correct. while there is a clear bias towards the big 4 in terms of making the squad, i doubt very much that there is a specific bias agianst us.

as for bentley not getting picked simply because he plays for rovers- i consider that not to be correct. while there is a clear bias towards the big 4 in terms of making the squad, i doubt very much that there is a specific bias agianst us.

Hmmm. If this scenario had occurred at one of the big four, I doubt McLaren would be so public about the affair. The players "attitude" wouldn't be being discussed in public. Much the same as Stuart Pearce wouldn't have made his comments about Bentley, if it had been Paul Scholes.

It's an absolute shame that Bentley has not been called up to the senior squad.

However, would it be that Hughes has informed McClaren not to call him up for the friendly, but will be available for the competitive fixtures. I don't know the exact stance, but it's fairly bizarre to me.

I watched the Wigan vs Boro match last night during which Heskey as usual squandered several chances <_< . I used to shudder every time he turned out for England.

Heskey + football (nevermind england) = simply doesn't do.

Derbyshire would be well above Heskey in terms of a call-up.

On last nights performance, I would not pick him for Chorley, ne-mind England.

Good to see you've taken the time to watch him when he came on as sub for the U21s and the fixture vs Middlesbrough last week.

It's not as if England's blessed with a huge choice at this moment and time!

stuff england. we're going to get battered by the hun anyway. and i hope that we get stuffed too, so that we can sack mcclaren and start again. the bloke has no balls ("i'm dropping beckham" / "i love david"...).

rooney hasn't scored for a couple of years now. crouch isn't even good enough for liverpool (though he does score for england), defoe never plays (anywhere), owen hasn't been good since around 2003, bent is overrated at 16m.

we consistantly pick players who either under-perform, are unfit, play for the 'big' teams...

Derbyshire would be miles away from a call-up if I was the England manager. He'd be behind Rooney, Owen, Defoe, Johnson, Ashton and Bent for sure, then you'd get onto other fringe players. I'd be happy to be wrong, but I can't ever see him playing for the senior side.

Good to see you've taken the time to watch him when he came on as sub for the U21s and the fixture vs Middlesbrough last week.

It's not as if England's blessed with a huge choice at this moment and time!

I didn't see the U-21 game but was at Boro and thought his overall game was poor. Bar setting the goal up for Roque!

How many crap corners did he take last night? About 10?

I do like him though and do rate him too.

It's an absolute shame that Bentley has not been called up to the senior squad.

However, would it be that Hughes has informed McClaren not to call him up for the friendly, but will be available for the competitive fixtures. I don't know the exact stance, but it's fairly bizarre to me.

I don't think that could happen to a player who has yet to establish himself in the side, let alone the squad. Only a very senior player could opt out of friendlies without putting himself out of the squad for future games.

sooner the better mclaren gets the sack the better, hes a poor manager, picks the same sven like team that does nothing..i cant see him being here after euro 2008, would be brilliant if he was sacked before it..

not picking the best english right winger in the premierleague just proves how crap he is, because he will go for useless players like dyer and jenas..

bentley doesnt have to pick another country to play for, because weather its under mclaren or not, bentley will be an england player..

A shocking decision by McClaren. Bentley may have pulled out of the U21 squad due to some vague 'fatigue' he was suffering from but he's not a trouble-maker, not an egotistical prat, and not a flaky last resort. Based on his most recent form, he is the best rigt-sided player in the Premiership beside Cristiano Ronaldo. McClaren's penchant for continually snubbing him is baffling.

If he played for Liverpool, Spurs or United he would undoubtedly be a squad regular even if he was warming the bench at any of those clubs.

I, for one, am very glad that Bentley's not in the England squad and would be fully behind McLaren if he chose Heskey. In fact, the more dollopers McLaren brings in, the better.

spot on. jenas, heskey, lampard pick them all and get sacked McClaren.

At least our most improved player doesn't run the risk of injury!

McClaren should watch the Santa Cruz goal at Boro and consider the fact that if Bentley emulates this cross only once for England, it will be one of the few bits of decent football any England fan will have seen since he took the helm.

just had a massive rant to F365 and the Mayo show, however something that came up on Mayo's show is that it might be, looking at what DB's said, that 15th choice Steve has spoken to DB and said that he will be in the squad for the qualifiers but as "punishment" he'll miss the Germany game.

If thats the case, I will change my mind about 15th Choice Steve and rename him 10th Choice Steve

Archived