SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] England's Injury Crisis

• Replies 451
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Backroom
Is this a biased title or what!??

the title tries to put a completely different spin on things, trying to make Bentley sound public enemy no.1 again! :angry:

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/200...89520-19655384/

Nicko, if you know this guy.... give him a kick in the balls!

Much of the same from Paul Hyward of the Daily Mail.. here ... scroll down to the piece 'McLaren right to leave Bentley in the garage' .. what a t8sser !!!

So you want Gerard to be punished for picking and choosing his matches .

That's the problem - Bentley being "punished".

What the hell, is he good enough yes? Well get him in the team. I don't remember Wales punishing Giggs for picking all the Welsh games he wanted to play in. McLarens' talking rubbish.

How come Gerrard is in the squad, he has already said he won't play for England against Germany, but he will play for Liverpool tomorrow?? So Bentley can't pick & choose but Gerrard can???????

Gerrard's got a broken toe for crying out loud, Bentley just wanted a rest. There's a whole world of difference in that.

What the hell, is he good enough yes? Well get him in the team. I don't remember Wales punishing Giggs for picking all the Welsh games he wanted to play in. McLarens' talking rubbish.

Don't be pedantic Den, I'm sure you know fine well the relative worths of Giggs to Wales and Bentley to England. Even so, I don't think Giggs ever sat out a competitive game or tournament, which is what Bentley did.

It wouldn't even have been a foregone conclusion for Bentley to be in the squad if the U21 incident never happened. He's still third choice at best for the right hand side, and the revival of Wright-Phillips will make that even harder.

Even Bentley himself said he expected to be punished, so how everyone can be up in arms about it here is beyond me. I don't like McClaren at all, but because he's an easy target everyone is hopping on the bandwagon, when in fact it was a player of ours that is in the wrong, not him.

Don't be pedantic Den, I'm sure you know fine well the relative worths of Giggs to Wales and Bentley to England.

What's pedantic about a fair point. Going on those principles LeC, it depends how good you are, whether you get punished or not? How silly is that.

Bentley and Rovers could have easily "created" an injury to avoid the U21 championships. However they played it straight and took the consequences. Second-choice Steve would never have had the backbone to stick 2 fingers up to the press and pick Bentley anyway. And there are many, many dubious examples of sudden injuries clearing up after missing FULL international friendlies, often involving teams playing in red...

However, more on topic is the fact that Second-choice has now nicely got his excuses lined up - no skipper, dodgy Gerrard foot, no Rooney, no defenders - for when we don't qualify, and no doubt the dismal performances up to this point will be swept up in a collective gnashing of teeth and "poor me's - what could I do about the injury crisis".

To all those who are throwing brickbats at McClaren for leaving Bent's out of the England squad, have you considered that he may actually be doing it for Bentley's good and also his own good. Have you considered what would have happened if he HAD picked Bentley in these circumstances? Just imagine the unholy furore that would have broken out in all the media and amongst the supporters of just about every club in England (Rovers excepted, of course). It would have totally destroyed the future England career of Bentley and made it so that no future England manager would even DARE to consider him for England again. To say nothing of McClarens own future!

If you think about it, that could be the very reason that he did not pick him this time, and in the call to tell Mark Hughes and Bentley of the decision he did say that he could not pick him this time but that he would play for England in the future. Surely that says it all.

To all those who are throwing brickbats at McClaren for leaving Bent's out of the England squad, have you considered that he may actually be doing it for Bentley's good and also his own good. Have you considered what would have happened if he HAD picked Bentley in these circumstances? Just imagine the unholy furore that would have broken out in all the media and amongst the supporters of just about every club in England (Rovers excepted, of course). It would have totally destroyed the future England career of Bentley and made it so that no future England manager would even DARE to consider him for England again. To say nothing of McClarens own future!

If you think about it, that could be the very reason that he did not pick him this time, and in the call to tell Mark Hughes and Bentley of the decision he did say that he could not pick him this time but that he would play for England in the future. Surely that says it all.

If he had included Bentley in the squad I think it would have quickly blown over. Maybe he would have had to have made a quick comment, but I don't think there would have been any national uproar.

• 2 weeks later...
Great another posistive Rovers fan. :rolleyes:

Long-term Bentley will get in the England squad and he was very good last season and deserved a call-up, but so far this season he hasn't been up to scracth and doesn't look like an international footballer. I'm sure he'll recover his form at some point this season, hopefully and quite possibly very soon, but if there was an England squad to be announced tomorrow and I was the England manager he wouldn't make it. Personally I feel that the player we have who most deserves a place at the moment is Warnock.

SWP has had an extremely good start to the season - better than Dave has. That much at least is fairly obvious, isn't it?

Swp will be first choice, i'd imagine, but there's a squad place available.

Dunn will have to improve on his performances to even get in McClaren's thoughts, Derbyshire however?

Swp will be first choice, i'd imagine, but there's a squad place available.

Dunn will have to improve on his performances to even get in McClaren's thoughts, Derbyshire however?

I can definitely see Dave being in this next squad, but I don't think Dunn or Matty stand much of a chance. Dunn is playing in a position where we are over-saturated with talent and he doesn't really offer anything more than Gerrard or Lampard to make up for the fact that he doesn't score as many goals as them. Matty is playing well but I don't think he's a player we should start with at the moment - so therefore I can't really imagine him being lined up for England already. Perhaps in the future when he is a proven 15 goal a season striker, but even then we've seen how difficult it is for the likes of AJ and Darren Bent, both of whom are better than Matty at the moment.

Archived