BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Jack Walker

laughatthedingles

Chances are, if it wasn't for the influence of Jack Walker I wouldn't be a Rovers supporter. The man lay the foundations for some of my best memories and I'm sure there are many individuals like me, not from the East Lancs region, who are staunch BRFC Ambassadors. So thank you Jack Walker for giving the small town team, poor on resources but rich with history and heritage, the financial muscle to compete with the Big City clubs in this modern-day climate in which financial muscle is crucial. (I'm still buzzing over yesterday! Bet Jack had the best seat in the house)

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Chances are, if it wasn't for the influence of Jack Walker I wouldn't be a Rovers supporter. The man lay the foundations for some of my best memories and I'm sure there are many individuals like me, not from the East Lancs region, who are staunch BRFC Ambassadors. So thank you Jack Walker for giving the small town team, poor on resources but rich with history and heritage, the financial muscle to compete with the Big City clubs in this modern-day climate in which financial muscle is crucial. (I'm still buzzing over yesterday! Bet Jack had the best seat in the house)

If it wasn't for Jack I would not be a Rovers fan either...Now I'lll always be one..My Nephew is a Rovers fan too..

What an adventure, thanks Jack - you thought (and did) big. Inspirational, a man of the people, humble yet successful, a true original. Sadly missed, but your dream lives on - what a legacy. One man, one vision - but made so many dreams came true for so many.

Edited by DingleBaiter

Given the depth of affection that so many hold JW in is it not time that the town council actually recognised the man who must rank as one of Blackburns favourite sons? In true comic fashion they missed a good chance with the naming of the new Iron Bridge so it might be appropriate upon completion to re-name Barbara Castle Way as Jack Walker Way.

Down at ewood today and went over to the statue to take a look at the lovely flowers that had been left. Thought a Rovers fan had perhaps placed them but to my shock, and surprise i suppose the flowers sat there where from Fred Walker. The card read To my brother on what is your 7th anniversary love Fred and family. Brings home really that he may have been part of this great club, but he was also someones brother, father and uncle. Found it strange, but nice that the flowers from a family member where there.

There are more this morning, from his brother.

Given the depth of affection that so many hold JW in is it not time that the town council actually recognised the man who must rank as one of Blackburns favourite sons? In true comic fashion they missed a good chance with the naming of the new Iron Bridge so it might be appropriate upon completion to re-name Barbara Castle Way as Jack Walker Way.

I know - but i didnt think they could have 2 in the same town.

QUOTE (mrsjansen @ Aug 17 2008, 17:02 )

I know - but i didnt think they could have 2 in the same town.

Yes Jack Walker Way is the main road that runs through the Oakdale and Fernhurst Farm estates. Anyway RIP Jack never to be forgotten thanks for making my dreams come true.

Edited by old darwen blue

We were incredibly lucky to have a benefactor like Jack. Matthew Harding at (pre- Abromivich) Chelsea was similar as was Jack Hayward at Wolves & as is Steve Gibson at Boro.

Despite all the rubbish you'll read elsewhere Jack put a lot of his money into rebuilding Ewood Park & establishing Brockhall as a world-class facility. He didn't spend tons of money on "buying the title."

KMD did that with some astute buys. OK, he did splash the cash a bit, but nothing like the big spenders do now.

Just an aside, and it's a bit of an obsession with me:

The fifteen players who played the most league appearances in that season that we won the league

(in brackets) are listed below, along with their transfer fees)

Alan Shearer (42) £3.3m from Southampton in 1992

Henning Berg (40) £0.4m from Lillestrom in 1993

Chris Sutton (40) £5.0m from Norwich in 1994

Graeme Le Saux (39) £0.65 from chelsea in 1993

Tim Flowers (39) £2.0m from Southampton 1993

Colin Hendry (38) £0.03mfrom Dundee in 1987

Tim Sherwood (38) £0.5m from Norwich in 1992

Stuart Ripley (36) £1.2m from Middlebrough in 1992

Mark Atkins (30) £0.04mfrom Scunthorpe in 1988

Jason Wilcox (27) £0 from the youth team

Ian Pearce (22) £0.3m from chelsea in 1993

Paul Warhurst (20) £2.7m from Sheffield Wednesday in 1993

Tony Gale (15) £0 from West Ham in 1994

Robbie Slater (12) £0.3m from Lens in 1994

Jeff Kenna (9) £1.45mfrom Southampton in 1995

That's a total of £17.87m over roughly three years.

Please feel free to copy & paste into anywhere you think needs it. It is correct.

I was there at Anfield. I don't think I've ever been so happy for both myself and someone else (Jack.)