BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Gay Men!

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply
That article certainly reaffirms one thing: that David James is more articulate and intelligent than your average football player.

I'd say he is, but also be wary of ghost writers and editors. You see some athletes who are obviously quite thick write some well written articles from time to time.

As for homosexuals in football, I think it is a problem throughout sport. Obviously people don't like to know that the player they admire is gay, maybe it makes them feel uncomfortable and question whether or not the feelings they had as a result of it were somewhat homosexual. Examples of openly gay athletes in any sport are few and far between, I don't know if I can ever really see that change, which is a bit of a shame as there must be a good number of them out there who have to hide it, at least from the public.

You give it a go then , give us a full report .....and then we'll discuss it :unsure:

A full report?

I thought I raised the points for discussion, but never mind, I'll stick to the football. :tu:

How?

"Down the years I could easily have been accused of being gay. I was a bit different - I modelled for Giorgio Armani, sparking rumours over which designers wanted to get into my pants; I practised yoga; I read, I paint. I've been to The Boardwalk - a gay club in Manchester - although I was with my wife at the time, and I've even driven past the local gay dogging spot in Devon - there were a couple of guys in tight black shorts and vests looking like Village People try-outs.

I have a number of gay friends and although they wouldn't want me shouting from the rooftops about their sexuality, I'd like to encourage them to come out. I accept that it's easy for me to say that, but how many more years will it be before we can talk openly about gay men playing professional football? From next season homophobic chanting is outlawed, which is a start. It'll still take some sort of new age hero to be the first to come out, but I just hope, for football's sake, that it happens soon."

David James' fee for this article will be donated to Stonewall

Kinell Matt! :rolleyes:

Kinell Matt! :rolleyes:

If anything it makes him less likely to bat for both teams. A gay or bisexual man isn't likely to write an article like that, especially since the majority of them would fight tooth and nail to keep thier sexuality hidden. The fact that he has donated to a charity that fights for the rights of the LGBT community just shows that he supports it, nothing more. It is good to see an article like that, he is obviously comfortable enough in himself to be able to discuss it openly. The fact that you have suggested that he bats for both teams just on the information in that article says more about you than it does him. I think your response has shown exactly what I was talking about in my opening post. Is it just ignorance or are you being a wind up merchant?

A gay or bisexual man isn't likely to write an article like that, especially since the majority of them would fight tooth and nail to keep thier sexuality hidden.

Prob some truth in that Pugg...... I'd guess a gay man would be far more likely to start up an internet discussion on the subject under an anonymous name. ;)

Prob some truth in that Pugg...... I'd guess a gay man would be far more likely to start up an internet discussion on the subject under an anonymous name. ;)

LOL, who said I was a man?

LOL.... Who said that I was alluding to you?

If the cap fits though.......

I think anyone with half a brain could see what you were alluding to...

The little wink at the end, the fact that I have started this discussion, your previous comments etc etc. I don't even know why I am replying to you lol, your always trying to wind people up.

So for your knowledge...if you were alluding to me, it is pretty impossible for me to be a gay male, as I am female. Not that it matters, but I just wanted to let you know that there is no other motive for me to start this discussion, than for the sake of a nice little debate. Mind you, it might have been a better experiment if I had pretended to be. I take it you wont have a discussion about something like this because you are scared that someone might accuse you of being gay? Or are you not happy in your own sexuality Theno?

That just about sums it up nicely Pugg. I thank you. :rolleyes:

You imply something and then when I take it the way you implied it, you attempt to change meanings.

You really do just insult people instead of engaging in a debate, don't ya? I noticed your the person who started tha A-Levels thread, maybe there is a link there somewhere, between mocking people with formal qualifications and being unable to discuss things in an intellectual manner. Bless ya! :wstu:

Why doesn't David James mind his own business and leave the private lives of his fellow footballers where they should be - behind closed doors ?

Who the hell does he think he is advising gay footballers to come out of the closet ? It's their business and nothing to do with him .

Somehow I get the impression that he's only thinking about himself ; promoting the image of an ever so liberal , modern footballer - not thick like those others who don't go to art galleries and practise yoga .

Just another pretentious , self regarding to$$er . He'll be claiming to be an intellectual soon .

......and looking at the goal he let in today , perhaps he should be concentrating on another disturbing aspect of today's football .........his own all too frequent errors in goal !

Why doesn't David James mind his own business and leave the private lives of his fellow footballers where they should be - behind closed doors ?

Who the hell does he think he is advising gay footballers to come out of the closet ? It's their business and nothing to do with him .

Somehow I get the impression that he's only thinking about himself ; promoting the image of an ever so liberal , modern footballer - not thick like those others who don't go to art galleries and practise yoga .

Just another pretentious , self regarding to$$er . He'll be claiming to be an intellectual soon .

......and looking at the goal he let in today , perhaps he should be concentrating on another disturbing aspect of today's football .........his own all too frequent errors in goal !

I agree to an extent. It is their business and no one should tell them to come out of the closet. They should only do it if they feel comfortable doing so, not to make some kind of statement.

He might very well be thinking of himself, I hope not. I think he was probably trying to get the topic out there and show that men can talk about these issues and that he would support his gay friends if they chose to come out. Well I hope that was his intentions.

Any man should support his friends whether they are gay or not . What has their sexuality got to do with it ? If they decide to stay in the closet then that is something James should respect and support . It's all very well saying they should come out ....not too easy for the bloke who actually does do and has to live with the consequences .

By pontificating on such issues I suspect James is getting a little above himself . Despite his massive intellect he hasn't quite thought this through . :rolleyes:

Any man should support his friends whether they are gay or not . What has their sexuality got to do with it ? If they decide to stay in the closet then that is something James should respect and support . It's all very well saying they should come out ....not too easy for the bloke who actually does do and has to live with the consequences .

By pontificating on such issues I suspect James is getting a little above himself . Despite his massive intellect he hasn't quite thought this through . :rolleyes:

Of course a man should support his friends. You are allowed to talk about supporting your friends through something specific though, for example my friends mum is ill in hospital at the moment and so I let her know if she needs anything I am there, but just because I say I'll support her through this doesn't mean I wouldn't support her any other time.

Their sexuality comes into it when he wants to raise the issue specifically of gay men not being accepted in football. We don't know the situation, maybe his friends have been saying that they feel that no footballer would welcome gay men, or talk about it openly in the media, and so he may have decided to do something about it. Like I said, I agree that if his friends want to stay in the closet then he should support that, but we don't know if that is the case. Maybe they want to come out but feel they can't. I just think that it is refreshing for a man to be comfortable talking about it openly, even though he must have known that some people would question his sexuality because of it.

Any man should support his friends but it isn't always the case, especially regarding this subject, and so I think some reassurance from a friend is good. How many guys on here if their best friend told them they were gay would support them and be just as good friends with them? I know a lot of men who wouldn't.

Probably because we are looking at sport. I'm certainly aware of more lesbians in sport, plus most women's sports are less high profile. That in itself probably explains why they are more willing to be open about it.

Pugg / Phil you two appear to be dealing / debating solely with male homosexuality.... why is this?

I really don't know .

Perhaps we should widen the discussion to include trannies and cross dressers etc ....

Do you reckon Robbie Savage should start the game tomorrow ?

I really don't know .

Perhaps we should widen the discussion to include trannies and cross dressers etc ....

Do you reckon Robbie Savage should start the game tomorrow ?

lol!

Theno, you remind me of Adrian Durham from talksport. He likes to say things just to wind people up too ;) .

Lesbians seem to be accepted in sport, hmmm maybe it is because people see lesbians as the stereotypical butch woman and so they think it is 'manly' and therefore acceptable. Where gay men are seen as the stereotypical camp corrie barman and so therefore no place in sport. I have a feeling Theno was implying something totally different but I won't comment on that as I may get it wrong again ;)

lol!

Theno, you remind me of Adrian Durham from talksport. He likes to say things just to wind people up too ;) .

Lesbians seem to be accepted in sport, hmmm maybe it is because people see lesbians as the stereotypical butch woman and so they think it is 'manly' and therefore acceptable. Where gay men are seen as the stereotypical camp corrie barman and so therefore no place in sport. I have a feeling Theno was implying something totally different but I won't comment on that as I may get it wrong again ;)

Lesbo's are accepted in Tennis. Has anyone noticed the new tennis racket handle design by martina navratalova ? Its shaped like a dildo and is sold by David Gold at brum FC :rolleyes:

Lesbo's are accepted in Tennis. Has anyone noticed the new tennis racket handle design by martina navratalova ? Its shaped like a dildo and is sold by David Gold at brum FC :rolleyes:

I'm desperately trying to think of a crack about sweet spots!........ or did I just do that? :rolleyes:

lol!

Theno, you remind me of Adrian Durham from talksport.

I've heard of him but I could'nt comment oh his abilities as I rarely listen to talksport. The only one that I can readily identify by his voice is Mike Parry. Oh and Hawksby and Jacobs but they are crap imo.

Archived