BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Other Premier League Happenings

• Replies 5.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Quite a subdued weekend.

Man U look all at sea, they got lucky yesterday but I do think that it hit Brown's chest and not his arm.

Arsenal battered City but couldn't score.

James for England? He is back to normal after letting Lampard's shot in.

Does anyone else think that Birmingham should have worn a different kit against Derby? That white front must have confused someone.

Anyone watch Valencia V's Villerael. Villerael won 3-0 and Valencia down to 9 men after about 60 mins. Also sky were meant to show Barca however due to contractual issue they were unable to show it. Henry started on bench and came on in the second half.

Something of a random observation but don't you think that David Moyes is a Alex Ferguson in the making? Look at the way he spends money!

Whilst some managers such as Mark Hughes and Arsene Wenger like to look around and pick up pauper-to-prince style bargains - Moyes prefers the Fergie option of stumping up with huge amounts of cash for 'made-to-order' players. Now, that tactic isn't doomed for failure, and Baines is in all likelihood a good signing, but there is a definite lack of imagination in his transfer dealings. The research seems rather lacking. We need a striker - let's buy Yakubu/Beattie/Johnson/latest flavour of the month for a massive sum - never mind that we're paying a premium. "Don't bother with trying to stretch the pennies - we have £5 million so why not sign Per Kroldrup?!"

These signings can work (albeit carrying the risk of the player flopping under the weight of his own transfer tag) but it seems to me that both Ferguson and Moyes are not making efficient use of their resources. Why sign someone like Yakubu or Fernandes (both were only prospective deals for Everton but the intention was there) for ludicrously high fees when Mark Hughes has shown you can pick up someone like Santa Cruz/McCarthy/Bellamy for relative peanuts (shall we call them cashewnuts?).

Ferguson and Moyes have proven themselves as excellent managers. Imagine how good they'd be if they understood prudence?!!!! :unsure:

My view, not a handball at Utd Spurs game. I thought that first time and the replays show me nothing to want to doubt it. Close though, made all the more dubious by him putting his arm out, a reflex action to break his fall. Did not such much of the other games so little to comment on.

I actually don't think it was handball by Brown because he moved his towards the ball after it had it his chest.

Whether he moved his hand or not is irrevelant, if it hit his chest it hit is chest, or am I reading you wrong.

Something of a random observation but don't you think that David Moyes is a Alex Ferguson in the making? Look at the way he spends money!

Whilst some managers such as Mark Hughes and Arsene Wenger like to look around and pick up pauper-to-prince style bargains - Moyes prefers the Fergie option of stumping up with huge amounts of cash for 'made-to-order' players. Now, that tactic isn't doomed for failure, and Baines is in all likelihood a good signing, but there is a definite lack of imagination in his transfer dealings. The research seems rather lacking. We need a striker - let's buy Yakubu/Beattie/Johnson/latest flavour of the month for a massive sum - never mind that we're paying a premium. "Don't bother with trying to stretch the pennies - we have £5 million so why not sign Per Kroldrup?!"

These signings can work (albeit carrying the risk of the player flopping under the weight of his own transfer tag) but it seems to me that both Ferguson and Moyes are not making efficient use of their resources. Why sign someone like Yakubu or Fernandes (both were only prospective deals for Everton but the intention was there) for ludicrously high fees when Mark Hughes has shown you can pick up someone like Santa Cruz/McCarthy/Bellamy for relative peanuts (shall we call them cashewnuts?).

Ferguson and Moyes have proven themselves as excellent managers. Imagine how good they'd be if they understood prudence?!!!! :unsure:

I think you're way too harsh on Moyes. when you talk ot Everton money to ManU money that's not an apples to apples comparison. ManU can take on a flop signing and not be hurt by the lost money/wages. Everton doesn't have that luxury so they have to be much more frugal. not as frugal as Rovers, but still...

Most of Moyes signings have been great at the price paid (Lescott, AJohnson, Nuno Valente(for a time), Manny Fernandes, Phil Neville) and some have been HUGE with the price paid to value to team(Mikkel Arteta, Cahill, Howard). He's had some busts, Kroldrup, and he's had some underwhelming signng, but you cannot compare that to Ferguson.

Do I think Hughesy is better? sure, but I also don't begrudge Moyes in his dealings. he might pay top dollar for a few folks (Yakubu is more out of necessity than anything else) but if the board would have backed Hughes in 2005 wouldn't you have liked to see Bellamy AND McCarthy on the same team? Everton can make those buys but don't make it a habit. They usually buy three or four guys a summer and maybe 1 or 2 guys in the winter. whether they are overly paid or not, they have their budget and Moyes makes it work.

Despite the £millions spent the only teams who seem to have improved from last season are Citeh, who to be honest couldn't be any worse, and Liverpool, whose spending seems to be in the £billions!!.

Rovers are a bit stronger for the addition of Santa but really it shows the laziness of Prem managers these days that the crop of summer signigns was all they could come up with for mega money.

Think this is why agents are getting so much cash, they just send some clip DVD's out and some lazy-ass manager pays £8m for a player no better than a League One player but who sounds more "exotic".

Would be two excellent signings for Villa and that's why we need new investment sooner rather than later.

We're just not at the races, when players like Bellamy, Yakubu and Defoe become available.

Not so much of a problem if the "big 4" are snapping them up but a big problem when our immediate rivals like Spurs, Everton, West Ham and Villa are.

Anyone watch Valencia V's Villerael. Villerael won 3-0 and Valencia down to 9 men after about 60 mins. Also sky were meant to show Barca however due to contractual issue they were unable to show it. Henry started on bench and came on in the second half.

Card happy in la Liga this weekend. Saw Getafe/Sevilla and Getafe had 2 reds in the first half - one for a handball at midfield.

Villa have given up on Davies and are buying Zat Knight for £4m.

They're buying Knight???? Am I alone in thinking he's pants? I'd be suprised if ffan rates him. If Samba had made no progress since his arrival I'd put him about the same level as Knight. Thinking as I type, I suppose with that line of thinking there's maybe a lot of potential, but 4 million is a hell of a lot to pay for potential.

Am I alone in thinking he's pants?

No, you're not.

Knight is a liability. Every time I've seen him play, his awareness and positioning have been rank. Given his physique, I'd always thought he would probably develop into a pretty decent CB, but he's been at Fulham for something like 8 years. The only thing he seems to excel at is being clumsy and error-prone.

I'm very surprised that Villa are interested in him - particularly at £4m (?!)

Knight is a liability. Every time I've seen him play, his awareness and positioning have been rank. Given his physique, I'd always thought he would probably develop into a pretty decent CB, but he's been at Fulham for something like 8 years. The only thing he seems to excel at is being clumsy and error-prone.

Can't stand Knight. Never forgiven him for head butting Stead as he ran past him and getting away with it, scot free. :angry:

Plus, he's useless.

Villa have given up on Davies and are buying Zat Knight for £4m.

Holy sheepkronk! £4m for Zat Knight? Based on that valuation I'm worth £2m, rising to £4m if I gave up the smokes! Villa come and get me ;)

Zat Knight's got to be worth 2 kebabs at best!

Holy sheepkronk! £4m for Zat Knight? Based on that valuation I'm worth £2m, rising to £4m if I gave up the smokes! Villa come and get me ;)

be careful with your birmingham allegencies there simon........ ;)

be careful with your birmingham allegencies there simon........ ;)

Lest anyone gets the wrong end of any sticks let me say I dislike Big Club and Villa Villa Villa pretty equally.

If O'Neill's daft enough to fling money at Zat Knight (rhyming slang :)) he might as well chuck me a couple of mill at me while he's at it.

Archived