BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Other Premier League Happenings

• Replies 5.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Saw the second half of the Villa v Chelsea and was impressed by Villa.

Nice to see as we head into the international break that just 3 points separate 1st from 12th in the Premier League table tonight.

Perhaps English football at the highest level is going to become interesting again?

I was thinking the same Philip.

Villa defended resolute and they have attacking players, especially on the wings, who will always cause problems because of their pace.

O Neill is similar to Hughes is that he expects nothing less from his players with regards to their work rate.

Good to see Chelsea lose, bad in that they will be fired up for us. Funny how Terry has a couple of tugs at a Villa players shirt and gets the free kick in his favor.

The bloody comediantators are as bad. Watched some of ManU and the Mackems yesterday. Smart save by the Sunderland keeper, brown is it? and the comediantator brushed it off as he was stood there anyway, I thought he did well having to move to get to the ball. Today a Villa player blasts a shot right at Cech and it's a brilliant save. It's always the same, Drogba skys one and it's oh just did not quite get hold of it or but did you see the approach work or just a bit unlucky. If we do that it's oh what a terrible effort.

I'm sick of these bozos talking like we know naff all.

Oh Kudos to the ref for sending off Senros, I never thought I would see that, yeah last man but it was a bit weak, I was surprised to see a red

I noticed that the TV commentators once again were backing Chelsea whereas 20 or 30 years ago they would have been more in favour of the underdogs.

The written press on the other hand are stirring the pot a bit for Mourinho. Could get tasty if Rovers deny them all three points next time out.

The press reckon Jol is history and I am sure they are right.

Oh Kudos to the ref for sending off Senros, I never thought I would see that, yeah last man but it was a bit weak, I was surprised to see a red

I agree, it was one of those that time and time again you see the big four get away with only a yellow.

Perhaps English football at the highest level is going to become interesting again?

With all the money being spent by clubs up and down the league, it would be a travesty if things didn't get a bit more competitive. But only a bit. I think we know, moreorless, who's gonna finish in the top 4.

That's odd cos the on SSN interview or after match interview he was asked if he thought it would be a more open title race and he catagorically stated he could not answer that.

If we keep the momentum up, injuries and cards down it could be a fun season at Ewood

Hansen says dismisses Mourinho's comments by saying the gap is as big as ever and sticks the boot into Rovers.

Hopefully, he is having another "you don't win anything with kids" moment.

His argument that Spurs have the only squad capable of bridging the divide is clearly pants. On current showing, I'd take Rovers, Newcastle, and Villa to be good enough to emulate Everton in giving Spurs a tonking with Portsmouth, West Ham and City possibly their equals as well.

Am I correct in saying that the collective achievement of Rovers, Newcastle, Villa and Everton against Chelsea, Arsenal, Man U and Liverpool is played 3, won 1, drawn 1, lost 1?

Hansen says dismisses Mourinho's comments by saying the gap is as big as ever and sticks the boot into Rovers.

Hopefully, he is having another "you don't win anything with kids" moment.

His argument that Spurs have the only squad capable of bridging the divide is clearly pants. On current showing, I'd take Rovers, Newcastle, and Villa to be good enough to emulate Everton in giving Spurs a tonking with Portsmouth, West Ham and City possibly their equals as well.

Am I correct in saying that the collective achievement of Rovers, Newcastle, Villa and Everton against Chelsea, Arsenal, Man U and Liverpool is played 3, won 1, drawn 1, lost 1?

I have to agree I don't think the gap is any smaller. I think a few results, well pretty much United slipping up three times, have happened close to each other and got everyone excited. When it comes down to it the smaller teams like ourselves and Everton simply do not have the squad to seriously challenge. Of course it could happen, but I don't think that means the gap is any smaller, it could have happened last year or the year before. Obviously we feel the gap is smaller because the gap between ourselves and the top four is smaller than it has been for the past few seasons, but we are simply in the standards 5/6/7ish team position, the gap between that place team and the current top 4 is the same. If anything you could argue that with Arsenal now being a year older and wiser and with Liverpool having improved on last year that the gap is actually larger from 4th-5th.

I would be seriously surprised if anyone breaks into the top 4 this season, but I would happily place a bet on the fact that we will be closer than we were last year, but that really isn't saying too much. There isn't really too much of a point seriously looking at this until about half way into the season, then we'll see if Chelsea and United have fallen apart, if Arsenal have matured enough, if Liverpool finally are as good as their supporters would like to think and if one of the smaller teams really can mount, sustain and eventually succeed in a challenge to qualify for the Champions League.

The thing for me is that the quality of managers combined withdecent amounts of money has improved. Allerdyce, Hughes, Errikson, Moyes and O'Neill all have real talent and four of them (not unfortunately including sparky) have had buckets to spend. On top of that lesser managers like Curbishley and Jol have had serious cash injections.

If there is a year for smaller teams to break in this is it. I would love it if two of the big four fell outside the CL places, and I think it is possible if not likely.

The Guardian debate on the subject.

For what its worth, there are ten clubs out there who have spent £20m+ whose owners will be conveying to their management that they expect to see their spending give Mancarsechelpool a very good match when they play them.

That alone is going to put the big 4 under more consistent pressure at least until the table "sorts itself out" and hopefully will delay the table becoming too boringly predictable again.

Unlike Pompey at Arsenal, I think there are quite a few clubs that will be playing big 4 with the belief they can get a result and some, perhaps not enough, might well do so.

It will be all the dropped points when Villa, Rovers, Everton, Newcastle, Spurs etc play themselves or have a bad day at Boro, Fulham, Sunderland etc that will let the Big 4 through more by default.

The thing for me is that the quality of managers combined withdecent amounts of money has improved. Allerdyce, Hughes, Errikson, Moyes and O'Neill all have real talent and four of them (not unfortunately including sparky) have had buckets to spend. On top of that lesser managers like Curbishley and Jol have had serious cash injections.

If there is a year for smaller teams to break in this is it. I would love it if two of the big four fell outside the CL places, and I think it is possible if not likely.

In my opinion O'Neill hasn't impressed since being at Villa. When you consider how much he has spent over the two years there has been very little improvement. Most of his signings have either been overpriced or a total waste of money so far. No doubt he is a good manager, but I wouldn't be too pleased with him if I were a Villa supporter.

He's been lucky in that respect as a few of those are a product of the Villa youth system. £9 million for Young? Potential £9 million for Davis? £4 million for Knight? They may turn out to be good signings, but they shouldn't be signed at that price. For £9 million we have bought Benni, Santa Cruz, MGP, Bentley, Friedel, Nelsen and Samba. Anyone given that amount of money should put together a decent looking side. He didn't impress last season and he had an ok team to work with.

I think the gap is smaller, in one respect, there are more teams with squads capable of beating one of the top 4 on an off day, or keeping upw with them when they have a run of bad luck/injuries/bad form, etc.

For example, last season, Chelsea had all those injuries, still the only time it really hurt them was... well, maybe at the end of the season when they couldn't make that final push to close the gap and faltered. But they never were really punished by anyone.

This season ManU has had a bunch of injuries, and they got overturned or drawn a couple of times before they got themselves ont eh right foot again. That's why I think there's a difference.

That and, is it just me, or are there an awful lot of draws so far this season? (4-5 games in and only 2 teams don't have a draw?) with a lot of points being spread out and not as many taking in the whole 3, the separation of the top clubs from the pack just can't happen.

Interesting

Not premiership per se, however one of our favourite premiership clubs appears to have made an almighty cock up with their Champions League squad

I think Ballack is on his way out, leaving him off the squad prevents him being cup tied for the January window.

Plus it sounds like they don't have anyone left who would take up those other spots. Basically the article says they should have kept players they weren't going to use just to take up a couple of Champs League squad places...

I think Ballack is on his way out, leaving him off the squad prevents him being cup tied for the January window.

Although I agree with your point on his way out, as long as you don't play him you can still put him in the squad and be eligible for a January transfer.

As the article says, a benchwarming Ballack is better then none at alll, especially if it all goes pear shaped in the group stage.

Archived