BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Can A Empty Seat Sing

waggy

That's pretty naive Bacup Blue. You'd leave the profession you've worked in your entire working life for a menial job paying a pittance. What if you have a family to support? A menial job might not cut it. That's just an example, but it isn't always that simple.

Nevertheless, I still think that, even if you are in financial difficulty and out of work, £15 for one home game a month wouldn't stretch anybody very far.

• Replies 239
  • Created
  • Last Reply
That's pretty naive Bacup Blue. You'd leave the profession you've worked in your entire working life for a menial job paying a pittance. What if you have a family to support? A menial job might not cut it. That's just an example, but it isn't always that simple.

Nevertheless, I still think that, even if you are in financial difficulty and out of work, £15 for one home game a month wouldn't stretch anybody very far.

I do have a family to support.However if my job went t*ts up tomorrow i wouldn`t sit on my backside waiting for the perfect job to come up.Just because you take a lower paid job to get you going again it doesn`t mean you have to stop looking for the job you want.

Any job is better than no job,as i see it the government makes it way to easy for people to not want to work.Again it comes down to personal pride, and a choice on whether to swallow your pride and take a not as well paid job on a temporary basis until you find a better job,or whether to take the easy option and rely on government handouts.

Right i`m going for my tin hat and bulletproof vest! :unsure:

Obviously it does sometimes come to the individual and I'm not judging, just saying it isn't always as simple as you are making out. However, I do appreciate that you are saying this is your particular view.

My dad was made redundant for the third time in his career a few years back and went unemployed for well over a year. He works in insurance, which is an industry constantly in flux that has become far more unstable than when he persued that career. However, at the time he had myself, my brother and my mum to support as well as his own house, a mortgage, expenses etc with his partner. He was very well paid, but nevertheless thought about going down a new lower paid career path.

In the end, however, he stuck it out and is on good money again. He lost far less income by spending so long unemployed than he would of if he had have changed careers. Nevertheless, he had to skimp big time on almost all expenses during his period of redundancy. I still reckon he could have easily afforded £15 a month on a Rovers ticket.

Well my lad's out of work at the moment and trying hard to find a job. He gets £45 a week to live on. He's not lazy or stupid, but just had a bit of bad luck. And don't forget 25% of people of working age, aren't in employment, including most of the Royal Family. They find getting tickets fairly easy to come by.

Hope your lad gets work soon Paul and also that some of the folk on here get a reality check.

Losing your job is not a nice thing to experience.

The gospel according to Saint Jan is (and I quote), "....those who are unemployed choose to be unemployed....." :huh:

Well my lad's out of work at the moment and trying hard to find a job. He gets £45 a week to live on. He's not lazy or stupid, but just had a bit of bad luck. And don't forget 25% of people of working age, aren't in employment, including most of the Royal Family. They find getting tickets fairly easy to come by.

:rover: how many other people out off work at the moment are like paul's lad,do they not deserve a chance off seeing rovers play at a fair price.let's have a poll on it mod,s :brfc:

I sympathise with people who lose their jobs as my mrs has been in the same position this year. However all she did was phone a recruitment agency and they had a job for her within the week.

I do not think unemployed people should get any more benefits than what they are already get, and that includes football tickets. If you are on benefits you should be able to afford the bare neccessities to get along in life and put you back on level ground to find yourself a new job - not splash out on life's luxuries. Remember football is not vital in the grand scheme of things, and people need to realise that they need to get their lives sorted out before they think about Mr McCarthy smashing one in at the Blackburn End.

The problem is there are those who make a living of not working.

These are not worthy of more benefits.

There is temporary work available for those in between jobs, sometimes you have to (perish the thought) look for it.

It's probably more difficult for single people, as they can't claim the myriad of benefits available to those with families.

I'd possibly think some sort of special rate for matches such as early round cup matches and maybe a few home games at which fewer fans are expected, but not for season tickets and as a general rule.

And Waggy, if you have to pay maintenance for your son whilst not working, I'd like to know how because my daughter isn't getting anything out of the father of her youngest in those circumstances :angry:

:rover: i pay maintenance for my son out off my savings,if i did not have any i would be urgently looking for a job to provide for him,i can pick and choose what job i fancy,i do'nt want full time employment,i want a part-time job to occupy my time,but if i was desperate there is not a lot out there :brfc:

I sympathise with people who lose their jobs as my mrs has been in the same position this year. However all she did was phone a recruitment agency and they had a job for her within the week.

I do not think unemployed people should get any more benefits than what they are already get, and that includes football tickets. If you are on benefits you should be able to afford the bare neccessities to get along in life and put you back on level ground to find yourself a new job - not splash out on life's luxuries. Remember football is not vital in the grand scheme of things, and people need to realise that they need to get their lives sorted out before they think about Mr McCarthy smashing one in at the Blackburn End.

At last common sense ! that just about puts it in a nutshell. :rover:

If the world was as black and white as you think it is Bacup Blue, the government would have sorted it out years ago. I'm afraid the reality is far more complex and difficult to change. There are significant number of older workers - around a million nationally I think - who are out of work, but say they want employment, and who face discrimination, have outdated skills or find reentering work that daunting, that they give up. There are also significant number of people who have mental health and other health problems, that find getting work very difficult. And what about the millions of people who care for a relative or loved one?

Of course some people screw the system, but the big winners finanically, when it comes to not paying their way are the multi-nationals who avoid paying billions in corporation tax, and employ slave labour on the other side of the world.

And how many people have paid for jobs "cash in hand" avoiding tax, national insurance and the rest?

If the world was as black and white as you think it is Bacup Blue, the government would have sorted it out years ago. I'm afraid the reality is far more complex and difficult to change. There are significant number of older workers - around a million nationally I think - who are out of work, but say they want employment, and who face discrimination, have outdated skills or find reentering work that daunting, that they give up. There are also significant number of people who have mental health and other health problems, that find getting work very difficult. And what about the millions of people who care for a relative or loved one?

Of course some people screw the system, but the big winners finanically, when it comes to not paying their way are the multi-nationals who avoid paying billions in corporation tax, and employ slave labour on the other side of the world.

And how many people have paid for jobs "cash in hand" avoiding tax, national insurance and the rest?

Whilst much of this is accurate, is doesnt really demonstrate why "unemployed" people should get tickets cheaper than the rest of us.

I realise that it can be difficult to get a job in your chosen career at times, but if there's nothing on the horizon and the savings are too low for the 'luxuries', then you have to work to get them. We'd all like to see people able to support themselves, and remember that both Ireland and Britian have almost full employment at the moment, something that many on here will not take for granted, given the 60's, 70's and 80's. One of the problems is that some people see a good job as a right, and won't do anything else - such as take a decent paying factory job to get them over a hump (something I've had to do) or to utilize their skills for themselves (something else I do). For instance, working in a place like McDonalds can net you a more than satisfactory wage for six months or so. It's harder when you have to support someone else, but harder than living on benefit? I'm not sure I buy that!

I am reminded of a situation when I was working in that factory job about eight years ago, making more than some engineers who'd just left college, and the place was screaming out for workers, hiring nearly 2,000 people a year for four years due to expansion and staff turnover (the hours could be punishing). My mother met a friend of hers at the shops and I was helping out, and she was telling us about her son who was having such a hard time finding a job, and was getting depressed, living at home and never leaving his room... My mother suggested that he try for the factory or an apprenticeship, which was something another friend of mine had gone into. The woman's response was - "Oh, he couldn't work there, that'd be demeaning". Apparently, it was more demeaning than living at home on unemployment benefit in your twenties. I don't agree with that attitude, in case you hadn't guessed. So while I have sympathy for those who are on benefit, I don't think they should be encouraged to stay there. And things like subsidized tickets to a football match are, in my estimation, encouragement. Now, those on disability benefit, I'd be perfectly happy to see cheaper tickets for.

I realise that it can be difficult to get a job in your chosen career at times, but if there's nothing on the horizon and the savings are too low for the 'luxuries', then you have to work to get them. We'd all like to see people able to support themselves, and remember that both Ireland and Britian have almost full employment at the moment, something that many on here will not take for granted, given the 60's, 70's and 80's. One of the problems is that some people see a good job as a right, and won't do anything else - such as take a decent paying factory job to get them over a hump (something I've had to do) or to utilize their skills for themselves (something else I do). For instance, working in a place like McDonalds can net you a more than satisfactory wage for six months or so. It's harder when you have to support someone else, but harder than living on benefit? I'm not sure I buy that!

I am reminded of a situation when I was working in that factory job about eight years ago, making more than some engineers who'd just left college, and the place was screaming out for workers, hiring nearly 2,000 people a year for four years due to expansion and staff turnover (the hours could be punishing). My mother met a friend of hers at the shops and I was helping out, and she was telling us about her son who was having such a hard time finding a job, and was getting depressed, living at home and never leaving his room... My mother suggested that he try for the factory or an apprenticeship, which was something another friend of mine had gone into. The woman's response was - "Oh, he couldn't work there, that'd be demeaning". Apparently, it was more demeaning than living at home on unemployment benefit in your twenties. I don't agree with that attitude, in case you hadn't guessed. So while I have sympathy for those who are on benefit, I don't think they should be encouraged to stay there. And things like subsidized tickets to a football match are, in my estimation, encouragement. Now, those on disability benefit, I'd be perfectly happy to see cheaper tickets for.

I agree,i think some people think a factory job is beneath them especially lads in their late teens early twenties.Where i live you can see the same dozen or so lads of that age just literally doing nothing except wandering around town all day.Genuine people that are incapacitated or carers i have every sympathy for and welcome some kind of discount scheme for this particular group.

But i am afraid the average layabout chav wandering the streets should be made to find work and shouldn`t receive a penny!

Whats even worse are the parents that keep them and make every excuse under the sun as to why they won`t work. <_<

I agree with what you say Daren, but also believe that sometimes it isn't always that simple. HOWEVER, if you do choose to wait it out, not necessarily living on benefit, but at least being unemployed, then you cannot expect free tickets or subsidised costs.

There are significant number of older workers - around a million nationally I think - who are out of work, but say they want employment, and who face discrimination

They don't face discrimination - It is in the employers interest to recruit the best person for the job whether they be old, young or middle-aged. Also whilst we are on the subject of employment I believe that the best person who applies for a job should get it. Company's now have targets to recruit so many people from the ethnic minority and disabled so in some cases people lose out on jobs and employers hands are tied on who to employ.

Sorry Ben, you're way wrong about older workers. I could do chapter and verse on the evidence and research, but you can read for yourself by using google. StuW, I said that administering such a scheme, even if it was preferable would be very difficult in practice.

I do remember Notts Forest allowing Miners into games during the great strike.

They don't face discrimination - It is in the employers interest to recruit the best person for the job whether they be old, young or middle-aged. Also whilst we are on the subject of employment I believe that the best person who applies for a job should get it. Company's now have targets to recruit so many people from the ethnic minority and disabled so in some cases people lose out on jobs and employers hands are tied on who to employ.

:rover: Well i applied for a job this morning,it was a online application and the computer said NO,so how does that one work :ph34r: still at ewood we have 5k empty seats and i make a suggetion about how we could fill them,and the fans say NO :angry::brfc:

:rover: just been to the dentist's this morning £30 for treatment,that's me not going tonight :angry: but then again it's on ch5 :brfc:

shame, waggy.

off topic, were you and your lad sat a few rows behind me at goodison ? this chap looked familier....and slimmer.

Archived