BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Hello Hello

Bloody hell that's ridiculous! No wonder everyone thinks we're rough if they keep doing things like that to us! We're damned when we do and we're damned when we don't against Arsenal! If we try to give them a game and get stuck in we're punished and if we try to sit back against them we're told that we didn't try hard enough! :angry::angry::angry:

This is related to us ending on the bottom of the fair play league 3 times in a row. But I say that if they're going to punish us for that, then they need to review any the club feel are contentious. Some of those yellows were absolutely shocking.

I would love Wenger to really lose his cool and go for Hughes. That would be hilarious. I can imagine Hughes stopping him with a look that would say "Just you try it you ___". Some of the cards over the past few seasons have been because of our fearsome reputation. Mind you the first half a season Savage played for us, he seemed lucky to stay on the pitch every game.

Did A-hole get fined for their 60 or so red cards they recieved under Wenger?

Hello again Longsiders1882; welcome back.

I am sorry to see your gloomy prediction for this season. No, honestly I mean it! I may be the only Rovers fan that wants to see Burnley and Preston both get promoted and now possibly Blackpool as well next season. I can't understand why our lot on here cannot see the sense in having all the Lancashire teams in the same div, and as we are not too keen on going down, we need you lot to come up.

Maybe it's because I am one of a mere handful of Rovers fans that can actually remember the excitement of the old Lancashire derby games both home and away and the same for the fans of all the clubs involved. It used to be my highlight of the season going to Turf Moor at Christmas time and coming back with the points, even though it meant navigating through dangerous "waters" all the way back out of Burnley and Rosegrove then Accrington as well. Still it was well worth it and the same applied I guess for the Burnley fans on the rare occasions that they managed a win at Ewood! ;)

Oh happy days! (sigh)

I agree the Lancashire Derby games are great. But I don`t want any of the Lancashire Clubs playing above NW Counties level!

This area is not big enough to support so many clubs, all smallish towns and competing to get support from the same limited catchment area. Look at the total population we share with Burnley, Preston, Accrington, Bury, Rochdale, Blackpool, Wigan, Morecambe and Bolton Probably not much more than a couple of million people between 10 clubs! Compare that even with places like Ipswich and Norwich. Both bigger cities than any of the Lancashire clubs and they are the only league clubs in their respective counties! Greater London has a population circa 12 million served by a dozen or so league clubs, potentially 5 times the support per club than we have here in Lancashire. In addition we are one of 8 Premier League Clubs in the North West and are on the door step of 2 of the biggest clubs (much as it hurts to admit it) in the world in Liverpool and Man Utd.

Yes, the derby games are great and for those of us who go all the away games they save a fortune in travelling expenses. But if we are ever to have a chance of filling Ewood regularly we need a bigger catchment area. If our neighbours are not succesful our catchment area will expand.

I agree the Lancashire Derby games are great. But I don`t want any of the Lancashire Clubs playing above NW Counties level!

This area is not big enough to support so many clubs, all smallish towns and competing to get support from the same limited catchment area. Look at the total population we share with Burnley, Preston, Accrington, Bury, Rochdale, Blackpool, Wigan, Morecambe and Bolton Probably not much more than a couple of million people between 10 clubs! Compare that even with places like Ipswich and Norwich. Both bigger cities than any of the Lancashire clubs and they are the only league clubs in their respective counties! Greater London has a population circa 12 million served by a dozen or so league clubs, potentially 5 times the support per club than we have here in Lancashire. In addition we are one of 8 Premier League Clubs in the North West and are on the door step of 2 of the biggest clubs (much as it hurts to admit it) in the world in Liverpool and Man Utd.

Yes, the derby games are great and for those of us who go all the away games they save a fortune in travelling expenses. But if we are ever to have a chance of filling Ewood regularly we need a bigger catchment area. If our neighbours are not succesful our catchment area will expand.

Well all I can say is: "It's taking a hell of a long time to happen".

How long have the other Lancashire teams (Bolton excepted) been in the doldrums? Rovers have been in the Prem since day one, apart from one teeny little lapse that didn't last long, but none of the other Lancashire clubs supporters have made any noticeable switch to Rovers. And the truth is they never will, and I don't blame them. Would you switch to supporting any of THEM if the boot were on the other foot?

Well all I can say is: "It's taking a hell of a long time to happen".

How long have the other Lancashire teams (Bolton excepted) been in the doldrums? Rovers have been in the Prem since day one, apart from one teeny little lapse that didn't last long, but none of the other Lancashire clubs supporters have made any noticeable switch to Rovers. And the truth is they never will, and I don't blame them. Would you switch to supporting any of THEM if the boot were on the other foot?

Fife surely you are old enough to rem many BRFC fans going to Burnley when BRFC were away? Lots did you know. My own father who grew up in Hoghton and was a staunch Rovers fan used to go to PNE when the Rovers were away. Admittedly only to watch Sir Tom but with most people working Sat am and with no motorways built away travel was rare in those days. Some Arabic tele station broadcasting BRFC live to Blackburn pubs would only have been considered in a Dan Dare escapade. ;)

For my part I think the hooliganism of the 70's and 80's and the resultant demise of the walk ons has a lot to do with this.

Fife surely you are old enough to rem many BRFC fans going to Burnley when BRFC were away? Lots did you know. My own father who grew up in Hoghton and was a staunch Rovers fan used to go to PNE when the Rovers were away. Admittedly only to watch Sir Tom but with most people working Sat am and with no motorways built away travel was rare in those days. Some Arabic tele station broadcasting BRFC live to Blackburn pubs would only have been considered in a Dan Dare escapade. ;)

For my part I think the hooliganism of the 70's and 80's and the resultant demise of the walk ons has a lot to do with this.

I was a regular attender at Deepdale myself in the later 50's Theno, along with at least a dozen or more coaches leaving from the waste land area at the back of Ainsworth St. This was every Saturday that Rovers were away,but as you quite rightly say; it was only to watch Sir Tom in action. I was never aware (until you just mentioned it) of any Rovers fans going to watch Burnley though. And none of us would have regarded ourselves as PNE supporters in the full sense of the word; rather just going along to watch a cracking match and see one of the greatest players in the world in action. Though come to think of it North End DID have a damned good side in those days!

Else

Cunningham Walton

Docherty Marston Forbes

Finney Foster Wayman Baxter Morrison

• 2 weeks later...

Just read yesterdays Lancashire Telegraph. In the blackburn edition there is a small column about the possibilities of introducing a singing terrace being investigated at turf moor. Its a old chesnut considered by most clubs at some time i am sure. What made me laugh was the typo in the telegraph headline. It read SIGNING TERRACE PLAN FOR TURF MOOR. It just conjured up an image of several hundred dingles franticly trying to use makaton to urge there team forward.

Does my old mate blue still post?

Yes, I do Longsiders and as usual I start the season hoping you do dismally though I think your lot may have put a team together for a serious push this season. Pulling for Blackpool though, some of the arrogance towards them shown by some of your cousins is sad. Come on the lashers.

That would be 'Under't culvert' - The miners is OK - if a little Royston Vasey, but the other pubs (Princess Royal and Turf Hotel), you need an armed guard.

As for the ground developments, no problem with the inclusion of a cinema, bigger retail area or hotel. We need all the revenue we can get to keep going so if these things help, great. Maybe one day we will get into the prem and an uncle Jack type benefactor so we can refer to 20 million as a chunk a change :lol:

Used to frequent the Miners every Sunday used to have some decent bands on there, good cheap ale. Flew our colours there once too coming back from an away game in a Transit van, hit a Triumph spitfire in a speedy escape from the parking lot once, my last ever visit there before coming over here. Aaah the good ol days huh?

Archived