BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Friedel Vs Lehman

No offence to all the Friedel fans here but i think it's time we consider changing a keeper.

Personally i think his reflexes are quite slow nowadays compared to his peak a few years back. Quite often, you'll notice that he'll just be standing still when a shot goes into the net.

He's been a great player for the club (still remember a couple of years back when we played arsenal and they couldn't get one pass him though they totally dominated us) but considering his age, i think it's time to give brown or someone else a chance.

Not yet. Friedel has at least 2 more years left in him and goalkeepers can play until 38/39. There's many a game each season where Brad actually gets the win for us, not the outfield.

On topic, Friedel is better than Lehmann, but obviously there are better worldwide.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I probably only watch a Real Madrid game twice a month, so I'm not the best judge, but I've seen him make mistakes and not position himself well relatively regularly. He just strikes me as a keeper who no one would mention if were playing for pretty much any other side. I'm not saying he's awful, for me is an average top level keeper; which in my mind makes him overrated.

Interesting, do you believe he is only Spain's number one because of the club he plays for?

No offence to all the Friedel fans here but i think it's time we consider changing a keeper.

Personally i think his reflexes are quite slow nowadays compared to his peak a few years back. Quite often, you'll notice that he'll just be standing still when a shot goes into the net.

He's been a great player for the club (still remember a couple of years back when we played arsenal and they couldn't get one pass him though they totally dominated us) but considering his age, i think it's time to give brown or someone else a chance.

I'd like to see Brown used at least a few matches a year, especially the league cup and maybe a few of the UEFA Cup matches against lesser opposition (or when we have our spot in the knockout rounds solidified). Brad has at least another year or 2 at the top, but we have to keep Brown interested and we have to know if he can handle being heir apparent or not.

Interesting, do you believe he is only Spain's number one because of the club he plays for?

Probably, although I don't think his rivals are that amazing. I might still pick him for Spain, plus he still has a long time left in his career so no doubt he will continue to improve, I just don't think he is as good as he is sometimes made out. As I said though, I don't see him every week or even the majority of weeks really (except for highlights), so I may just have an ability to pick to watch the matches where he doesn't play as well.

• 2 weeks later...
However I do sometimes tend to fear corner kicks and free kicks because he can sometimes tend to be a little static. But when comparing that to reflex saves, numerous penalties saved, one on one saves etc, you can find that one little defect is quite acceptable.

...love you Brad !

I agree about the corners and stuff, although he's no David James at those! However I think the weakest part of Brad's game is his distribution. I think this has actually improved a bit over the years, but when he first came in particular I remember him constantly goalkicking it off the pitch.

Anyway interesting to see that nobody in this thread thinks Lehman is better, and most, like myself, don't even consider it a close run thing. Unfortunately I tried to get a neutral's view on this, asking my West Ham supporting mate his opinion, and he said Lehman. His reason? 'He has played in the Champions League and been tested at a higher level'. I find this ridiculous. It's like saying that having played in the Champions League automatically makes you better. Even if you cock it up. Besides, Friedel has played in the WORLD CUP, where he was second only to Kahn. Friedel has played against the likes of Arsenal, Chelsea, Man U, Liverpool...he kept Arsenal at bay single handedly on I think two occasions. Lehman, on the other hand, loses Arsenal games against relatively poor opposition. Seems like more of this big club bias to me. Can people here do me a favour, and ask fans of other teams that they know for their opinion on this?

I think he is the best quick-reaction shot-stopper in the Prem, but on other aspects of the game he is on a par with several keepers and behind some others.

Distribution, as has been mentioned is perhaps the most obvious; I can't recall one instance of Brad catching the opposition out, turning defence into attack with one brilliant throw. In fact, I can't recall a Brad throw. He also does not dominate in the air, rarely catching or punching; Lehman has his faults, but any cross nearer to the goal than the penalty spot is usually a waste of time against him. Brad also has a habit of parrying shots right back into the danger area - sometimes it falls to a defender and is cleared (as happened 3 times in the first 15 mins at Everton), but sometimes it falls to an opponent for an easy goal (think Ballack in the Semi-final)

If Brad was the best keeper in the Prem, one of the Big 4 would have bought him. For a top 4 club focused on playing top European sides consistently, being a shot-stopper isn't quite enough.

Distribution, as has been mentioned is perhaps the most obvious; I can't recall one instance of Brad catching the opposition out, turning defence into attack with one brilliant throw. In fact, I can't recall a Brad throw. He also does not dominate in the air, rarely catching or punching.

I disagree with all of that. I think Brad's throwing is superb and is and always has been a major part of his game.

Lehman is superior in two respects - the ability to fall down and hold his head as if hit by a mallett (usually within the first 15 mins); and the ability to complain someone has the audacity to stand in front of him at corners.

Apart from that Brad wipes the floor with him.

Brad also has a habit of parrying shots right back into the danger area - sometimes it falls to a defender and is cleared (as happened 3 times in the first 15 mins at Everton), but sometimes it falls to an opponent for an easy goal (think Ballack in the Semi-final)

Actually, the ball in the Semi-final was blocked by Warnock, before it had a chance to reach Brad.

I think he is the best quick-reaction shot-stopper in the Prem, but on other aspects of the game he is on a par with several keepers and behind some others.

Distribution, as has been mentioned is perhaps the most obvious; I can't recall one instance of Brad catching the opposition out, turning defence into attack with one brilliant throw. In fact, I can't recall a Brad throw. He also does not dominate in the air, rarely catching or punching; Lehman has his faults, but any cross nearer to the goal than the penalty spot is usually a waste of time against him. Brad also has a habit of parrying shots right back into the danger area - sometimes it falls to a defender and is cleared (as happened 3 times in the first 15 mins at Everton), but sometimes it falls to an opponent for an easy goal (think Ballack in the Semi-final)

If Brad was the best keeper in the Prem, one of the Big 4 would have bought him. For a top 4 club focused on playing top European sides consistently, being a shot-stopper isn't quite enough.

werent man u after brad but he turned them down? if hes good enough for ferguson hes good enough for me

friedel is so consistent.... and is naturally talented in goal .... but does lack some skill....

but he is so reliable

no other keeper except from cech is reliable like brad

so its friedel by miles....

and jens.... is a something which i cant say....

and what a over reactor he is about everything.... and is a real wind up merchant... but hates it when he gets it back

I can only remember two genuine cockups by Brad, and one of them is the Arsenal goal t'other week, which is a bit harsh too.

The only other one I can remember was against Fulham in our last promotion season, when he dropped a cross at the edge of the box, and ball landed at Sahas feet for a tap in.

He has obviously done other things poorly occasionally, but if one is comparing him to Lehman, christ the gerry makes one of those a week.

Of course we are going to say Brad is better.

Even big-club-biased media pundits rate him as one of the most consistent keepers in the Prem.

That is his value to us as a club - his consistency, year in, year out.

Souness once valued him as worth £20m because his saves have kept us up and that is (was) the cost of getting relegated.

Can't say fairer than that

But Lehmann is by far away the funnier

jens & didier

Plus there is the story (& I'm darned if I can remember the source) that some adolescent Arsenal fan won a competition at Highbury to take five penalties against him for some pre-match entertainment.

Jens saved the lot of them.

I'd love confirmation of that one.

But Lehmann is by far away the funnier

jens & didier

Plus there is the story (& I'm darned if I can remember the source) that some adolescent Arsenal fan won a competition at Highbury to take five penalties against him for some pre-match entertainment.

Jens saved the lot of them.

I'd love confirmation of that one.

Oh that's a cracker! If the ref saw that little pantomime episode, he should have sent them both off and given Chelski a penalty. Is that what happened? If not, why not? Let me guess; could be something to do with BIG clubs?

Distribution, as has been mentioned is perhaps the most obvious; I can't recall one instance of Brad catching the opposition out, turning defence into attack with one brilliant throw. In fact, I can't recall a Brad throw.

That's an extraordinary comment.

When Brad arrived, I was not alone in being struck by his awesome distribution. So many times he'd make a stunning save, jump to his feet and hurl the ball way over the half way line straight to Damien Duff's left foot.

The way we play now is different, so he tends to either kick long or else roll out to one of the back four, but to make the statement you have above is simply wrong.

Archived