BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Fifa 2008

Guest Kamy100

• Replies 264
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have just been to Blockbuster and got myself a bargain.

I have been assured that their 'any game £9.99 when traded in' deal applies to Fifa when it comes out and they accepted Oblivion in exchange. I put a fiver deposit down on it just now which also gave me free rental. Though the blu-ray choice is hardly extensive, I chose Deja Vu.

So, Fifa 08 and a blu-ray rental for £9.99 plus Oblivion (which to all intents and purpouses, I have completed). I hope to pick it up as early as possible Friday and will be letting you know what I think as soon as I can!

I have been assured that their 'any game £9.99 when traded in' deal applies to Fifa when it comes out and they accepted Oblivion in exchange. I put a fiver deposit down on it just now which also gave me free rental. Though the blu-ray choice is hardly extensive, I chose Deja Vu.

That is an amazing deal. Does it matter the game you are trading in? Do you have to be a blockbuster member?

Having played both demos I am of the opinion this year we have 2 good football games. Pro Evo is it's usual brilliant self and remember the demo that yoou are playing on the 360 and PC is from a 70% complete build so the final version will be even better.

I am the biggest FIFA hater ever, however after playing the demo this year I am very impressed, gameplay has improved leaps and bounds over last year's version. I have ordered it from shopto.net and they have sent my order today so should have it tomorrow. Below is a link to a video of someone who already has the game:

http://www.usaupload.net/d/4ibruyjzqfe

Having played both demos I am of the opinion this year we have 2 good football games. Pro Evo is it's usual brilliant self and remember the demo that yoou are playing on the 360 and PC is from a 70% complete build so the final version will be even better.

I am the biggest FIFA hater ever, however after playing the demo this year I am very impressed, gameplay has improved leaps and bounds over last year's version. I have ordered it from shopto.net and they have sent my order today so should have it tomorrow. Below is a link to a video of someone who already has the game:

http://www.usaupload.net/d/4ibruyjzqfe

picked up fifa08 the other day on the wii.

its not too bad, i spose being starved of any football on the wii takes its toll so i was really looking forward to it.

dissapointed that theres no manager or be a pro mode but that goes with the territory of the wii.

Well I got my copy yesterday and played it pretty much al day yesterday.

I got the PS3 version.

First up in my opinion the retail version even better than the demo. Game plays very smoothly and it looks tremendous.

Graphics:

As ever FIFA 08 looks excellent, the stadiums and player models look very realistic. Samba is a giant while Tevez is small. Player faces though are shocking, some look good but the vast majority look horrendous. I guess that is something for next year.

Sound:

Guys, the sound in this game is amazing. Each team has three chants, for Rovers it is (Mark Hughes Blue and White Army, Barmy Army and for some bizarre reason Bentley for England!!), the crowd noises are very realistic and the whole atmosphere is superb. Also the commentry from Tyler and Gray is much much better than last year, it has much more variety and also individual comments on players (ie "Savage is very competitive but not popular with opposition fans")

Gameplay:

The most important aspect of any football game. Unlike previous versions the gameplay on FIFA 08 rocks (in my opinion). No longer is it easy to score, you've got to build up play, be patient and craft out chances, the games pace is excellent and the mechnics such as shooting, passing and heading work very well. Also great players like Messi, Kaka, Henry and Ronaldo are now noticeably better than other players (just like in real life). I also noticed the when you play as lower league teams (Leeds v Notts Forest) the game is a bit more open.

I also love the "Be A Pro" mode. Basically you take control of one player. I though it would just be "fad" mode but I played it last night and loved it. The camera angle works very well and it really ask you lots of question like, when to make runs, positioning and also saving stamina, the best thing is that the AI players are also excellent so it really feels like you are part of a team. I played as Ronaldo, Torres and Savage and each time the experience was different. This is going to be huge, just a pity that you can only play this mode as a friendly but I can see the huge potential of this mode for future versions.

Overall:

I am very impressed with FIFA 08. Have hated pretty much every FIFA up until this one. I liked the demo and love the final version of the game. It looks good, sounds superb and plays very well. Like every game it is slight niggles but nothing alarming. Online works very well, I exprienced no lag and had some superb games with a couple of friends who have the game, the ability to set up online leagues is going to be very popular. The "Be a Pro" mode is also superb, although disappointing it is only available in friendlies.

Final Mark: 8/10

Kammy, so would you say that its faster than the demo? The main thing that bothered me about the demo is that you can see an easy pass and you go to pass it and all of a sudden they intercepted it - which looked impossable before you made the pass. Likewise when you are defending. You look like your going to get the ball from them but again, all of a sudden they are passing it right around you and you should be able to stick a leg out and get it. Is this just because the demo was in semi pro mode and I am rubbish at it. I also sometimes feel like I dont have much control over what the players are doing it sometimes feels like if I put my controler down things wouldnt be much different - I am going to be told it IS because I am rubbish at it arnt I :ph34r:

Another thing. Are the tricks in be a pro mode any use at all? I spent ages messing around on the demo with the tricks but thought it would be too easy to be tackled.

Where did you order it from to be playing it yesterday? I have pro evo on order from play but may change this if I can get it a whole day earlier from somewhere else.

I may pick FIFA up tomorrow anyway. Basically, I cant get into Oblivion because I cant give it the time it so rightly deserves and there isnt much else I want at the moment - although, I know when PES comes I probably wont pick FIFA up again - as with previous years.

(Also, how easy is it to play one of your friends online? Can you just click on a buddy and invite them to a game?)

Yup deffo faster than the demo but not stupidly fast.

The thing with FIFA 08 is use a "free passing system" so you passing isn't assisted in anyway, so you got to press the direction and then pass it, you can through options put on passing assist. It takes a while to get use to but when you do it works very well. It is just that we are all used to playing Pro Evo and this is just a different way of playing.

The tricks they seem to work better with players like Ronaldo, Messi, Kaka et al. I use them in a limited way, usually when one on one with defenders and they work, I have found the tricks when you press L2 Button and twirl the right analouge to be the most effective.

I always order my games from www.shopto.net they are superb company. Their prices are superb and I always get my games either Wednesday or Thursday before release. Check them out they are very good.

Yup deffo faster than the demo but not stupidly fast.

The thing with FIFA 08 is use a "free passing system" so you passing isn't assisted in anyway, so you got to press the direction and then pass it, you can through options put on passing assist. It takes a while to get use to but when you do it works very well. It is just that we are all used to playing Pro Evo and this is just a different way of playing.

The tricks they seem to work better with players like Ronaldo, Messi, Kaka et al. I use them in a limited way, usually when one on one with defenders and they work, I have found the tricks when you press L2 Button and twirl the right analouge to be the most effective.

I always order my games from www.shopto.net they are superb company. Their prices are superb and I always get my games either Wednesday or Thursday before release. Check them out they are very good.

Cheers Kamy. One last thing. Does it have that 'face in the game' feature like Tiger Woods (and the new Pro Evo) Just thinking that if a player dosent look correct you could upload the correct picture.

Nope unfortunately it does not have this feature. Shame because that would be cool.

I think that we are going to have 2 very good games this year, just got my copy of Playstation 3 Magazine and they have a world exclusive review of Pes 2008 and they gave it 9/10!!

Nope unfortunately it does not have this feature. Shame because that would be cool.

I think that we are going to have 2 very good games this year, just got my copy of Playstation 3 Magazine and they have a world exclusive review of Pes 2008 and they gave it 9/10!!

Is that the official PS3 mag that you get. With the PS2 i used to buy the mag all the time but mainly for the demo's so havent been really picking the mags up since then (why would you want to pay £6 for a mag with demos that you can download for free - suppose some may not have an internet connection but then again, who wouldnt have an internet connection when they can afford a PS3)

Yes, shame about the game face :(

Hmmm, he give it 8/10 but completely slates the game!! I think that he is wrong on so many facets about the game, but I guess it is about individual opinion. On the Evo-Web forum (Big PES forum) which is full of fanboys, the majority of people are loving the game.

He mentions that it is hard to score as a negative, that is for me one of the best bits of the game, you've got to be clever, pass the ball around, wait for players to make runs to get goal scoring opportunities. Surely that is better than previous FIFA's were they were completly unrealistic and you created a unrealistic amount of opportunities, with FIFA 08 it is like a proper football match where you have to work for your goals.

Just picked up mine now from Blockbuster and I can confirm the offer stands - trade in any game on their list (which contains Oblivion which I traded) and get Fifa 08 for £9.99. I also got a free football which Jack has been playing with (staring at)!

As I type, I am just feeding him (depositing food all over his face, outh, highchair and floor) and when he goes for his afternoon nap it's playtime!

Archived