BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Euro Travel Thread

Glenn

For anyone wishing to get to Larissa you have the options of Thessloniki, Prevaza or Athens as airports. Be warned that it takes a good 3-4 hours from anywhere apart from Thessalonica to get to Larissa, and the terrain is very mountainous especially from Prevaza. Your best option is Thessalonica, By train or coach and take in some of the sights (and local brews before the match), Macedonia and Thessaly are really nice parts of Greece , with plenty to do and see, however it takes ages to get anywhere due to the terrain so be warned give yourself lots of time

• Replies 202
  • Created
  • Last Reply
For anyone wishing to get to Larissa you have the options of Thessloniki, Prevaza or Athens as airports. Be warned that it takes a good 3-4 hours from anywhere apart from Thessalonica to get to Larissa, and the terrain is very mountainous especially from Prevaza.

It certainly is !

I travelled from Preveza to Salonika by coach - (and from there to the game in Sofia by train a few years back .) It is not a trip to be taken lightly . Looks quite OK looking at a large scale map of Europe though ..... :blink:

Have now tired of the surfing as I am unable to get a decent price for this trip, everything on offer for 2 days is coming out around 290 flight and hotel, unless you take a week at marathon for under a ton ! I havent got a weeks holiday to blow on one trip as I may need holidays for future trips.

Has anyone else managed to come up with any different trips other than that offered by Paul ?

The flight seems to be a major snag

Have now tired of the surfing as I am unable to get a decent price for this trip, everything on offer for 2 days is coming out around 290 flight and hotel, unless you take a week at marathon for under a ton ! I havent got a weeks holiday to blow on one trip as I may need holidays for future trips.

Has anyone else managed to come up with any different trips other than that offered by Paul ?

The flight seems to be a major snag

booked with paul for pretty much that reason. only the swedish and chech teams had cheap options that didn't require messing around

going weds to saturday.

Booked my flight yesterday (via travelbag.co.uk)

Depart Manchester 9:25am Weds, via Frankfurt. Arrive in Athens at 5:20pm local time

Come back on the Saturday morning at 6:15am, again via Frankfurt. Arrive in Manchester for 12:45

This means I have all night weds in Athens, thursday to get to Larissa and back for the game, then all day and night in Athens on Friday.

Hotel £39 each for 2 nights nr Acropolis.

Looks like this is the place to be: http://www.athensguide.com/psiri.html

:brfc:FENI ON TOUR :brfc:

is Paul of "Staying Away" running a trip?

The UEFA Cup draw is due to commence at 12 noon today. Rovers are in the seeded group to play one of 5 undessed teams. Based on 2 nights BB with flights from Manchester prices are from; Hammerby (Sweden) £269 Mlada Boleslav (Czech Republic) £235 Dinamo Zagreb (Croatia) £325 Larissa (Greece) £284 Lokmotiv Sofia (Bulgaria) £265 Additional nights available. Price may vary according to preferred hotel and flight availability. Prices exclude transfers. Match transfers will be arranged to all venues. If you prefer to book your own flights we have hotels available in all destinations. When booking at least hotels you will be eligible for discounted rates for match transfers. TO BOOK CALL 0871 423 5057 Lines open until 6.00 pm Friday Saturday 10.00 am - 2.00 pm

Packages with flights from other UK airports also available. Generally, for the destinations we are travelling airfares will be cheaper from southern airports. Call for quote.

Paul

Staying Away

0871 423 5057

PS when booking please state that you called in response to this post. A contribution will be made to BRFCS.com funds for all bookings received via the site.

Mike we may have a development, I am awaiting a phone call bu be warned if we do go this way, it is car, plane, ferry and train !!

cost looks to be about 175 but must leave Wednesday am, I will email you when details are known

cheers 1864 (and also brfc11).

my problems are:

1. must be in central Manchester until about 2pm on the Weds, and;

2. have to be back on Friday evening in time to take the missus to the Cheshire Fed Ball(!!!!); this is more than my life is worth

apart from that Greece is a go go

Just waiting fir a heads up from Jordan Travel.

I have flights all sorted but could do with a hotel for either one or two nights in Athens and a transfer to the match.

Personally thinking the high speed train would be a good option to Larissa, its about 30 euros and only takes 3 hours, have a horrible feeling a coach could be a mission!!!

Just checked on the Swiss site and can fly out wednesday night from Zurich for 148 quid returning very early friday morning. early enough to still make it into work a hour or so late that morning...now i'm tempted....

I seem to remember a forum member living in Zurich?...i'll look through the members list

LARISSA: -

larissa-from-helicopter.jpg

Just a warning for those booking, the Larissa web site is is talking of playing the match at the Olympic Stadium in Volos . Which is about one hour by train from Larissa.

This makes the whole journey a pain in the backside.

If you have loads of time Thompson holidays have a flight from Manchester to Skiathos on the 19th of September coming back a week later for £200 return. From Skiathos you can take the quick ferry to Volos then train to Larrisa if necessary. Wow imagine going to a Rovers game by Hydrofoil.

I am going from Gatwick on Wednesday with Easyjet ( I have to be in London on Tuesday ).

Wednesday and Friday in Athens and hotels provisionally booked in Larrisa and Volos for Thursday.

It will be a long train journey from Athens (3-5 hours to Larissa plus 1 extra and a change to Volos) but we will see some of the country.

Cant wait :lol::lol:

Just a warning for those booking, the Larissa web site is is talking of playing the match at the Olympic Stadium in Volos . Which is about one hour by train from Larissa.

This makes the whole journey a pain in the backside.

If you have loads of time Thompson holidays have a flight from Manchester to Skiathos on the 19th of September coming back a week later for £200 return. From Skiathos you can take the quick ferry to Volos then train to Larrisa if necessary. Wow imagine going to a Rovers game by Hydrofoil.

I am going from Gatwick on Wednesday with Easyjet ( I have to be in London on Tuesday ).

Wednesday and Friday in Athens and hotels provisionally booked in Larrisa and Volos for Thursday.

It will be a long train journey from Athens (3-5 hours to Larissa plus 1 extra and a change to Volos) but we will see some of the country.

Cant wait :lol::lol:

For those of you who are interested- Indeed one of the ferry point's from skiathos to mainland greece is only around 10km from the site of Battle of Thermopylae,(300 spartans) there's a nice statue of King Leonidas on the very busy highway. Their is loads to do and see all over central & northern greece even if youre not interested in History

Current prices for flight/hotel packages;

2 nights ex Manchester £334

3 nights ex Manchester £359

2 nights ex London £259

3 nights ex London £279

Based on Athens flights, twin share, BB in 3* Marina Hotel (centrally located). Other hotels, airlines, departure airports, and durations available. We also have flights available to Thessalonika. Please call for details.

Early booking is recommended. As an example, early yesterday afternoon we were able to sell 2 night packages from Manchester for £284. Price has risen because there is no remaining availability for cheaper flight seats from Manchester. This is within 24 hours and it is likely airfares will continue to rise.

Transfers from Athens to Larissa (or Volos) are being arranged. These will be extra at cost and details should be available early next week.

If you wish to book your own flights we also have hotels available in Athens, Larissa, Thessalonika, and Volos. If you prefer a longer stay we can also book holidays to Greece or the Greek Islands with match transfers available from Athens.

Anyone booking flight inclusive packages or hotels with Staying Away for this trip will receive priority booking status, at a discounted rate, for the match transfers from Athens. Unfortunately because of minimal numbers flying to Thessalonika it is unlikely we will be arranging transfers from this resort.

To check availability or to book call 0871 423 5057

Paul

Staying Away

0871 423 5057

PS we will make a contribution to BRFCS.com for any bookings made from this website. Please mention you have found our number on the site when booking!

Just checked on the Swiss site and can fly out wednesday night from Zurich for 148 quid returning very early friday morning. early enough to still make it into work a hour or so late that morning...now i'm tempted....

I seem to remember a forum member living in Zurich?...i'll look through the members list

I think that was DP but i'm not sure he hasn't moved back to London now to be honest, he was based in Zurich last season.

The ICE seems to be the best one to go for. Its just over 3 hour which doesn't seem too bad at all.

Someone please feel free to correct me if I'm wrong but it appears that there may be a Larissa station in Athens which is confusing things slightly.

Wis, are you flying out from Gatwick on Wednesday afternoon? If so I think you might be on the same flight as me. I'll see you in the bar.

Archived