BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Stanley In Trouble

philipl

This is a bit off topic, but I watched Darwen play Bootle yesterday.

One of my mates is a youth coach, and he was meant to start doing some kids' coaching at Accrington this week, but it got postponed at the last minute. I hope it's not, but those figures don't look very good - 110 season tickets sold! :blink:

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I would now say Rovers shirts are 3rd most popular at best among the young of that town, thats my worry, not Accy Stanley.

And therein lies the problem, that is what a lot of it is a popularity contest. Kids nowadays can't handle the ribbing they might take for following a "less fashionable" club. I am also convinced the media slamming us at every opprtunity does not help in this, kids don't want to follow a team that is publicly ridiculed at every turn.

No spirit, no sense of belonging, no sense of community.

I may have been crass in my last post (I've been called worse), but I'm sorry I am a Rovers fan, and not a Lancashire Utd fan. It would be a shame if they went bust again, but to me it's like hearing a famous musician had died-a shame but not a personal loss.

But why is it OK to wish Burnley FC to go under but not Accrington? Both are very local rivals.

Interesting, if you have to ask you would not begin to understand the answer even if I told you.

Wishing ill of Stanley is a bit like drowning a kitten metaphorically speaking.

When I was in Primary School I remember avidly following Darwen in the Lancashire Combination because I was not allowed to go to the Rovers. Used to walk down to the Anchor on my own and pay my few coppers. Eventually getting very wet and muddy brought the parental veto.

I wonder if there are 8 year olds going to watch Darwen or Accy Stanley all on their own these days?

Anyway, given the way the new season has started, it looks like all Rovers' three nearest neighbours (PNE, Notlob and Accy) could be struggling.

If Rovers keep their current pricing model, perhaps tightening the squeeze another notch by selective cuts again next season, Rovers could start seriously undermining the viability of clubs in the vicinity as they mop up supporters wanting first class football at knock down prices.

Hah, a parallel universe to what mine was, seperated by, of all things, Blackburn, where we were drawn to the mecca of Football.

But why is it OK to wish Burnley FC to go under but not Accrington? Both are very local rivals.

It isnt.

For crying out loud, how crap would footy be without proper rivals.

If Burnley went that would mean Bolton, or someone equally appalling.

Wishing real ill on any football team is bang out of order.

I have worked in Accrington for the past two years. Unfortunately, there is barely any interest in Stanley within the town. Even when they got promoted, nobody seemed interested!

I think they are two or three leagues above the level at which they can comfortably operate and it won't be long before they are back down there. It's really a credit to the Manager and the players that they have made it this far!

Hmmm, maybe they could become a feeder club for us, whereby we can loan teenage talent, and provide a quick route for local youngsters to get 1st team action as either Stanley players, for which we can have 1st refusal, or loaned youngsters. A similar system could be tried out in Morcombe as well. Then the next David Dunn or Matt Derbyshire can get experience without going to Belgium. Some kids like being close to familiar surroundings.

Of course, that will be assuming that sort of thing is legal, and that we have the money to keep the clubs afloat.

P.S. You're sounding a bit 'Yorkshire' USABlue ;)

And therein lies the problem, that is what a lot of it is a popularity contest. Kids nowadays can't handle the ribbing they might take for following a "less fashionable" club. I am also convinced the media slamming us at every opprtunity does not help in this, kids don't want to follow a team that is publicly ridiculed at every turn.

A bit off topic but I want to add to that. After the City game yesterday we went straight to All Seasons Leisure Centre, Chorley, for swimming. Got there just on 6.00pm As we wandered in, still wearing our Rovers shirts and sweats we bumped into 4 lads ready for five-a-side in City kit. I enjoyed that. Anyway looking around the changing room there were City, Liverpool, Arsenal, Bolton, England, Chelsea, Everton and United shirts but not a single Rovers shirt amongst lads of 18-30 all there to play 5-a-side, judging by the accents all were local to the area. The talk was of Chelsea's defeat at Villa, I didn't overhear a single comment about the Rovers and we were just 10 miles from the ground.

A bit off topic but I want to add to that. After the City game yesterday we went straight to All Seasons Leisure Centre, Chorley, for swimming. Got there just on 6.00pm As we wandered in, still wearing our Rovers shirts and sweats we bumped into 4 lads ready for five-a-side in City kit. I enjoyed that. Anyway looking around the changing room there were City, Liverpool, Arsenal, Bolton, England, Chelsea, Everton and United shirts but not a single Rovers shirt amongst lads of 18-30 all there to play 5-a-side, judging by the accents all were local to the area. The talk was of Chelsea's defeat at Villa, I didn't overhear a single comment about the Rovers and we were just 10 miles from the ground.

Maybe it was just the fact that the vast majority of young people who support Blackburn and from the area would have been at the game. All towns have plenty of people who support a team from outside their area (for various reason) and if you think about it logically, why would a load of youngers who support Blackburn, be at the swimming pool instead of at Ewood (presuming that the rest of us dont move with your effeciency to get to chorley for 6pm!). Id be far more concerned if it was like that on a average non matchday wednesday afternoon in the town centre!

Television and Caxton have both got a lot to answer for. ;)

Absolutely. It has taken me nearly 7 years to convince my lad to be a Rovers fan. Living in SE Asia its even more difficult. Never see anything other than the big 4, a few Real Madrid and loads of England shirts. Just about got there now but visiting England at Christmas and his first ever match will be against Chelsea. If we get hammered it might take another 7 years to bring him round again.

Accrington Stanley have that lustre about them. They were a founder member of the football league, first club to be kicked out, world renowned for being mentioned in a milk advert, and recently regaining league status. Unfortunately this preferential treatment doesn't wash within Accrington. Stanley have always been an afterthought. I don't think they ever help themselves though. Right now they are a team full of Scousers, no-one locally knows them or cares what they do. When they got promoted to the league they wrecked Opium - granted that was a bit of free publicity for the owner of the club. Then they get the freedom of Accrington and turn it down because the Chairman has a beef with Hyndburn council.

Prices explain the current predicament; you can watch a decent Premiership side for less than a bad League 2 team. Accrington is not a economic hotbed with interent millionaires willing to throw money away. Coleman has done well for them but I reckon his days are numbered as they are destined to have another bad year.

Obvious is the problem there then! Ticket against City - £20 or Accy against Peterborough £13. Id rather pay the extra £7 thanks.

A season ticket to a club like Accy should be no more than about £150!!

I glanced at this in our local newsagent, why he stocks the Accrington Observer I'm not sure, and the front page report stated they had 110 season ticket holders. Have to admit the first thought I had was to wonder about the impact of Rovers new ST policy. The cheapest ST at Accy is £269.10 and at Rovers it's £249 - just where would you chose to watch your football?

A famous old club but it looks as though the cold wind is going to blow.............

I went to the game yesterday as a friend had come up to the area for the weekend. £13 to stand.

Stanley were awful, they will go down, Peterborough were a lot better and deserved their win.

I paid the cheapest price to see Accrington - £13, our cheapest adult price against City was £15.

As I've said before, you could see home games against the likes of Man City, Newcastle and Tottenham and it still would be cheaper than an away ticket at Chelsea.

They were a founder member of the football league,

I thought it was a different team called Accrington FC who were founder members and resigned from the league 1893 or something like that. Stanley didn't join the league until 1921

I thought it was a different team called Accrington FC who were founder members and resigned from the league 1893 or something like that. Stanley didn't join the league until 1921

It was a different team, "The Owd Reds" as they were known played in the Football League for 5 seasons I think, before resigning and playing in the Lancashire League, but sadly they didnt complete a full season in that league.

Don't know if anybody listened to Radio Lancs last night but there was an excellent Interview with Eric Whalley saying that its not the dire situation the tabloids are leading people to believe .. more a need for investment in the club for them to progress.

Have a listen

ACCY STAN

Sounds to me like this guy has his head firmly screwed on and knows the reality of it all and is not naive to the fact of the impact of the Rovers/Burnley as well as other teams.

There was also a good interview with John Williams re us being bottom of the table (good) of the fans less likely to jump ship at the moment. Also mentioned re the S/T issue and increase this season (although I can't seem to find it on the BBC pages)

So why didn't he think to reduce S/T prices to be cheaper than Rovers?

No doubt he did consider but I am sure its not just his decision and a reason as why not to, being the same as why other clubs haven't (its no guarantee of sales) and don't have any other revenue streams that would make up for the difference like Rovers do ... oh yes and the factor of £30m plus bonus

Did I really need to answer ..?

Don't know if you have read or heard the interview but I think its fairly well explained in his comments , and if I read your earlier post correctly of being an Accy lad, with local knowledge I would think you could fully understand the problems they have.

I have watched Stanley along with Rovers for 5 years now.sometimes standing near to Dunny and his then Emmerdale girl friend at some of the games.5years going up and up and wonderful to watch but the bubble has burst....Most of the super players( like Roberts & Craney)that took them up have all gone to clubs in higher divisions aand for peanuts too.. which is the main problem..Away fans tend to bring a fairly big following so the problem could be the support fall is even worse...

So why didn't he think to reduce S/T prices to be cheaper than Rovers?

Im sure he did, but as is the case at most lower league football clubs, especially those in smaller towns, all that would do would reduce the overall income, they wouldnt sell sufficient extra tickets to recoup the lost revenue.

And unlike top flight clubs they dont have £50m worth of Sky cash each season to play with.

Archived