BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Red Rover, Red Rover, I'm Comin' Over!

Alright you locals, the missus and I are heading over in a few days and I'm going to try and elicit some suggestions from you helpful lot.

I'm staying in london for the Chelsea match (that lot charges an arm and a leg for a footy match!) and a few days afterwards, then heading to Liverpool, then to Blackburn for the Portsmouth match.

London - Is there a designated pub for the Away fan around Stamford Bridge for pre-/post match beverages? I'll be staying at the Chelsea Lodge so if anyone's around there let me know and we'll grab a pint.

Liverpool - I'll be meeting up with a friend for a few pints one or botht the nights I'm in Liverpool and if any local wants to meet up as well let me know. I'm going to be staying at The Hanover which is somewhat close to the center of town...I think...

Blackburn - because the game's been pushed to Sunday I'm not in Blackburn for two days (Friday and saturday) with nowt an idea of what to do. I do want to take the tour of Ewood, but are these available on Saturday's or do I need to plan on taking this tour on friday? for any of the locals, is there anything to do on a Sturday about town? I was thinking of renting a few bikes and just tooling around town and the area. Anyone have any ideas of a good bike trip around Blackburn? Is the Ribble Valley close? I'll be staying at the Fernhurst so if anyone pops by on a regular basis let me know and I'll look out for you at the bar! Also day of the match, I'll be vacating the Fernhurst and visiting either the Aqueduct or the Ewood Arms, so look out for the yank in Blue and White!

Also a logistics question if I may. I have to leave Blackburn for London that Sunday night after the match. for a flight out on Monday. Do the trains run regular service on Sundays and do you thibnk it's an easy do to get a train early enough out of Blackburn and into London at a sensible hour?

Well thanks in advance for the info, and I hope to see as many of you lot as possible on my travails around the island. :tu:

Up the Rovers and I cannot wait to see them live! I've been waiting 13 years for this!!!

Alright you locals, the missus and I are heading over in a few days and I'm going to try and elicit some suggestions from you helpful lot.

I'm staying in london for the Chelsea match (that lot charges an arm and a leg for a footy match!) and a few days afterwards, then heading to Liverpool, then to Blackburn for the Portsmouth match.

London - Is there a designated pub for the Away fan around Stamford Bridge for pre-/post match beverages? I'll be staying at the Chelsea Lodge so if anyone's around there let me know and we'll grab a pint.

Liverpool - I'll be meeting up with a friend for a few pints one or botht the nights I'm in Liverpool and if any local wants to meet up as well let me know. I'm going to be staying at The Hanover which is somewhat close to the center of town...I think...

Blackburn - because the game's been pushed to Sunday I'm not in Blackburn for two days (Friday and saturday) with nowt an idea of what to do. I do want to take the tour of Ewood, but are these available on Saturday's or do I need to plan on taking this tour on friday? for any of the locals, is there anything to do on a Sturday about town? I was thinking of renting a few bikes and just tooling around town and the area. Anyone have any ideas of a good bike trip around Blackburn? Is the Ribble Valley close? I'll be staying at the Fernhurst so if anyone pops by on a regular basis let me know and I'll look out for you at the bar! Also day of the match, I'll be vacating the Fernhurst and visiting either the Aqueduct or the Ewood Arms, so look out for the yank in Blue and White!

Also a logistics question if I may. I have to leave Blackburn for London that Sunday night after the match. for a flight out on Monday. Do the trains run regular service on Sundays and do you thibnk it's an easy do to get a train early enough out of Blackburn and into London at a sensible hour?

Well thanks in advance for the info, and I hope to see as many of you lot as possible on my travails around the island. :tu:

Up the Rovers and I cannot wait to see them live! I've been waiting 13 years for this!!!

You can be in the Ribble Valley in 10 minutes from the Fernhurst (by car) by bikes do you mean Bicycle or Motor Bike, you may have difficulty in renting either. If its a trip "around" Blackburn you can try the outer circle bus :lol:

Blackburn town centre on a Saturday night can still get a bit lively! I am sure some other posts will point you in the right direction and give some good options.

Not sure about travelling to London on a Sunday night! try this http://www.thetrainline.com/

You can be in the Ribble Valley in 10 minutes from the Fernhurst (by car) by bikes do you mean Bicycle or Motor Bike, you may have difficulty in renting either. If its a trip "around" Blackburn you can try the outer circle bus :lol:

Blackburn town centre on a Saturday night can still get a bit lively! I am sure some other posts will point you in the right direction and give some good options.

Not sure about travelling to London on a Sunday night! try this http://www.thetrainline.com/

yeah I should've been more clear...bicycles are what I was meaning when I say renting bikes. So a 10 minute car ride would translate into a 30 minute bike ride, I'd imagine. Is the ribble worth that trip or would I be best served to bike to somewhere else around town? And none of you cheeky buggers give me directions to Dingletown. I'd prefer to see Royston Vasey on telly, not in person. :lol:

If you think renting bikes would be a problem, maybe an enterprising local could rent two bikes to me and the missus for a day?

yeah I should've been more clear...bicycles are what I was meaning when I say renting bikes. So a 10 minute car ride would translate into a 30 minute bike ride, I'd imagine. Is the ribble worth that trip or would I be best served to bike to somewhere else around town? And none of you cheeky buggers give me directions to Dingletown. I'd prefer to see Royston Vasey on telly, not in person. :lol:

If you think renting bikes would be a problem, maybe an enterprising local could rent two bikes to me and the missus for a day?

The Ribble Valley is more than worth visiting, Carefull which direction you take if your near Pendle Hill though, you could end up in the land time forgot!

I don't know of anybody that rents Bicycles now, someone used to rent out tandems in the Ribble Valley, not seen it for ages though. Like you say, maybe some enterprising local can help, you could have used our mountain bikes, but they are in France at the moment.

:rover:

And none of you cheeky buggers give me directions to Dingletown. I'd prefer to see Royston Vasey on telly, not in person. :lol:

No, no, no! Burnley is not Royston Vasey! Darwen is Royston Vasey. Burnley is Mordor.

If you are intent on riding bicycles just bear in mind that Blackburn is surrounded by hills (often big hills) so unless you and your good lady are particiularly healthy I would advise having a contingency plan. Yes, you could be on the fringes of the Ribble Valley in 30 mins from Fernhurst, but that's effectively the outskirts of Blackburn. To get into the heart of the valley it will take you a lot longer than 30 minutes and it's a long ride uphill on the way back through Langho and Wilpshire. There are numerous buses and trains to Clitheroe (the main town in the valley) and from there you can explore further. Although renting a car from Intack Hire would make life a lot easier and give you more options to get out in the wilds.

There isn't a direct train service between Blackburn and London. Changing at Preston is your best option. No idea regarding frequency of service though. You and your wife should note that it is traditional to get as drunk as possible and speak in a Scottish accent if catching a train during hours of darkness. It's practically a legal requirement and failure to comply will give very great offence to the host nation.

No, no, no! Burnley is not Royston Vasey! Darwen is Royston Vasey. Burnley is Mordor.

haha duly noted. thanks for the clarification! :lol:

If you are intent on riding bicycles just bear in mind that Blackburn is surrounded by hills (often big hills) so unless you and your good lady are particiularly healthy I would advise having a contingency plan. Yes, you could be on the fringes of the Ribble Valley in 30 mins from Fernhurst, but that's effectively the outskirts of Blackburn. To get into the heart of the valley it will take you a lot longer than 30 minutes and it's a long ride uphill on the way back through Langho and Wilpshire. There are numerous buses and trains to Clitheroe (the main town in the valley) and from there you can explore further. Although renting a car from Intack Hire would make life a lot easier and give you more options to get out in the wilds.

I'd love to say the missus and I are at tip-top fitness level, but alas, we're not, so the trip through the hills may not be the best option. what about this Country Park on the NW side of Blackburn? That worth anything? I'd rent a car, but I'd need an Int'l license which I've not applied for. I guess Clitheroe would be the best option then. and umm could you give me the proper pronunciation of said city? Every time I read it and say it to myself in my head I get a little giggle. I really don't want to blush like a schoolgirl if I have to ask a young lass the way to Clitheroe. :unsure:

There isn't a direct train service between Blackburn and London. Changing at Preston is your best option. No idea regarding frequency of service though. You and your wife should note that it is traditional to get as drunk as possible and speak in a Scottish accent if catching a train during hours of darkness. It's practically a legal requirement and failure to comply will give very great offence to the host nation.

Cheers for the info on that. I'd rather change in preston rather than Manchester, so hopefully i can get something out of Blackburn/Preston Sunday evening. I'll work on my Scottish, though, because it looks as though we'll be travelling during that magical hour.

You could take a visit to the National Football Museum in Preston whilst you're passing through. http://www.nationalfootballmuseum.com/

It is open most of the time, on saturday it is open until kickoff. If you time it right you could go to the museum then catch their game vs Sheff Wed (if you are particularly bored!)

H-L, don't think the locals will mind Clitheroe it being called a city! A market town, I would guess population is 15 - 20000. Struggling to think of explaining how it's pronounced........ try this site, scroll down a couple of pages and you'll find an old radio programme called 'The Clitheroe Kid'. Click on 'listen again' and have a listen to the first couple of minutes (by the way, the programme is about 40 years old - up to date in Burnley then ;) ) . Strikes me as a bit odd, but there's a small hotel in Clitheroe and their website reckons they do cycle hire (here) - wouldn't build your hopes up but worth an email to em. As Sidders says, you could get a bus or train to Clitheroe, and that hotel is probably 200 yards from the bus and train station.

It's pronounced "Clith-er-ow" Three syllabuls.

I suffered my education in the town from the age of 11 to 16.

Many many years later I would like to suggest that it is a good place to visit, just stick "clitheroe" into google. The best pub is "The New Inn" all the rest have become discos.

Have a good visit.

Regarding your journey back from Blackburn to London on 23rd September.

Definitely avoid Manchester - Chelsea are playing United at Old Trafford in the 4pm game that afternoon. All the trains from Manchester back to London will be rammed and unpleasant.

Unfortunately there are Sunday engineering works, so the journey from Preston is taking ages longer than it should - and you only really have one direct option. The 1808 from Preston getting to London Euston at 2256. Doesn't give you too much time to get to Preston from Ewood, so perhaps a kind local will read this and offer you a lift!

Also, the cheapest fares are no longer available on that train - however booking in advance will still be cheaper than turning up and buying tickets on the day. I'd take a look at www.virgintrainsfares.co.uk and book asap - when I looked just now you could get 1st Class seats for £43 each.

There is a cheaper option still available from Wigan to London, (£12.50 each - I've gone for this) - it involves getting a Rail Replacement Bus service from Wigan at 7pm down to Crewe, then a train from Crewe getting into London just before midnight. If you've got luggage I would pay more and go for the direct train from Preston.

Let me know if you need any help getting sorted out.

Like Colin and Neil Weaver I too am an old Clitheronian and it's definitely not a city. Nice enough for a wander round though with plenty of places to get some food and drink. There's also a castle which normally gets Americans all giddy at the thought... but it's very much a ruin and the smallest keep in England. Worth a look though, but don't expect turrets and drawbridges. Overlooking the town is the oppressive hulk of Pendle Hill, famous for its connection to the Pendle Witches Have a look for it on Wikipedia and find out all about the strange goings on. Having spent many formative years in Clitheroe and growing up in the Ribble Valley I can safely say many of the locals haven't changed much since the time of Demdyke, Chattox et al.

As for pronunciation, I'd say -

Klither (to rhyme with slither) & Roe (as in fish eggs).

Hypo be carefull!!! When i went to the Rover villa game i got stuck in sheffield over night due to track work. Im not sure if there working on the tracks anymore but check to make sure. Also when i left manchester after the FA cup game on a sunday last season i had to leave the game 10 min earily and run the to station and barliey mde it on the train which i think left at like 730 or which was the last train back to london which got into ST. pac station at like 1130pm-1145pm! i dont know what time the games over but watch the time as its about 45 min to manchester station (without delays of corse) and then another 3-4 hours back to london. There are NO trains that go to london from Balckburn! I hope you have fun. Its was and still is the best time i have EVER had!!! Good luck i know you'll love it!

man...now I'm stressing out about getting back to London after the game...I am NOT missing the game, though, so I'm going to have to figure out a way to get back.

Thank you Tris for the website and the suggestions. Thanks for the words of warning RoversFanUSA, although it's filled me with all different shades of worry.

Thank you Tris for the website and the suggestions. Thanks for the words of warning RoversFanUSA, although it's filled me with all different shades of worry.

Riding bikes? Less energetic? Dunno where you'll get the bikes from (Fernhurst may help there) but there is no better more historic or more scenic route than the Leeds Liverpool canal towpath and its only half a mile from the Fernhurst. Turn right from the old Infirmary and you'll see the industrial buildings of Blackburn, turn left for really beautiful and peaceful countryside with lots of canal side pub grub towards Chorley. btw You're supposed to have a permit to cycle on t'cut but if you get one you'll prob be the first ever. Want to see anything else hire a cheap transit van and chuck the bikes in the back.... recommended. If you dont mind an aged rusting (but fully legal)van and similar bikes contact me an you can borrow from our aged selection of hardly ridden bikes for free.

Sat night in Blackburn? Forget that idea. Take a cheap train to Clitheroe / Preston / Manchester would be my tip.... prob in that order too depending on what you want.

I don't know where you can hire bikes either but have a suggestion. Ewood Bikes is about five minutes walk towards town from Ewood Park. Ian, the owner, and Mark are both top guys. If you meet Ian be prepared to have the p!ss taken mercilessly. I suggest you go in there and ask them for suggestions for local hire. It's possible they will even help you out, that's the sort of people they are. This isn't a flash bike shop, but it is an excellent bike shop run by people who have real knowledge and care about their subject. http://www.fixyerbike.co.uk/

Thenodrog is right about using the canal for an easy ride. Turning towards Chorley is quite scenic but the towpath deteriorates once you get out of Blackburn. There are only two pubs on this stretch between Chorley and Blackburn - one at Top Lock (perhaps 5 miles), it's also called the Top Lock, and another one before that could be called The Boatyard. I'd go for the Top Lock option. You'll pass my village which is on the canal, if you PM me I'll buy you a beer at Top Lock provided I'm not busy elsewhere - i have to go karting this weekend.

You no longer need a permit to use the towpath for cycling as it is becoming part of a designated national cycle route. In days gone by it was necessary and I used to have one - mainly for the joy of showing to the fishermen when they abuse cyclists on the towpath!!!! :P

If you want easy cycling outside of Blackburn in the Ribble Valley. I can give you a nice route from Whalley area, Brockhall to Ribchester. Flat, scenic, good pubs and a museum in Ribchester at the end - Museum of Childhood I think.

It's pronounced "Clith-er-ow" Three syllabuls.

I suffered my education in the town from the age of 11 to 16.

Many many years later I would like to suggest that it is a good place to visit, just stick "clitheroe" into google. The best pub is "The New Inn" all the rest have become discos.

Have a good visit.

yep new inn is the best by a mile, populated by real people who like a drink. All the others are either pretetious, OR have the potential for violence. Oh just forgot, the Station pub does a cracking dinner.. But since the no-smoking rule its become a bit of a kindergarten during the day.

Ctch the train to clitheroe.. BUT dont leave it after 9 to get back , as that when the local drunken hoards catch the FREE train to blackburn. ( guard too affraid to ask for money )....

If you go out in Blackburn on a Saturday night, try Club Tropicana (where drinks aren`t free)....you can pick up a few bikes there! ;)

...oh sorry, wrong sort of bikes :unsure:

http://www.nationalexpress.com/bp/b2.cfm?id=102129075

Not very comfortable but reliable...and you can book on line.Train should also be possible and more comfortable though but best to check as sson as you arrive..Flying maybe be another option from Manchester or Blackpool

Unfortunately Ryanair have stopped the service from Blackpool to London, Manchester to London can be expensive!

Thank you all very much for the info, and the suggestions and the offers of help(even you theno :P ). As I'm not sure when we'll be arriving into Blackburn that Friday and whether or not I can get an Ewood tour in on Friday or Saturday I'm not sure if I'll be doing the biking or not. However the missus seems inclined to peddle along so maybe a ride along the canal would be a good warm-up for a jaunt into the Ribble. Or it could be taxing enough to satisfy our adventurous spirit and we save the Ribble Valley for another time. I used to do a good bit of biking in my day, but the knees doth protest rather loudly these days in my advanced age.

As far as the train ride that Sunday back to London I think the best option is the overnight ride into London. That gets in early enough to where a transit to Gatwick would be easy enough. If Rovers could move kick-off to 9:00 AM, that would work out better for me, though. Maybe BRISA can bring that up to the Chairman before next Sunday :D

Thanks again! I knew I could count on the Board to put together some good suggestions! :tu:

PS over here in the states we call everything a city, whether the population is 200 or 2,000,000. I was amused to find out from a friend over yon that the villages, towns, cities have to meet a certain criteria (not only population) to be classified as one or the other. That's when I understood why Leicester and Birmingham and Coventry and the like put City at the end of their names, because I guess it's a sort of badge of honor? Or he could have been completely taking the p!ss, which is highly likely.

As far as the train ride that Sunday back to London I think the best option is the overnight ride into London. That gets in early enough to where a transit to Gatwick would be easy enough. If Rovers could move kick-off to 9:00 AM, that would work out better for me, though. Maybe BRISA can bring that up to the Chairman before next Sunday :D

Just so you're not surprised - National Express run buses not trains!! I've used that overnight service back to London after games, and be warned - it is not a pleasant experience!!

However, it will get you to London, and I guess you can sleep on the flight back over the Atlantic!

Just so you're not surprised - National Express run buses not trains!! I've used that overnight service back to London after games, and be warned - it is not a pleasant experience!!

However, it will get you to London, and I guess you can sleep on the flight back over the Atlantic!

Ahh, I wondered why the train would stop at so many places for a few minutes here and there. :wstu: oof...that does throw a wrench in the plans. Here I was thinking I had found the way to go...I REALLY didn't want to miss any of the game in order to get to Preston for a train back to London, but it's looking like I might have to. :(

Ahh, I wondered why the train would stop at so many places for a few minutes here and there. :wstu: oof...that does throw a wrench in the plans. Here I was thinking I had found the way to go...I REALLY didn't want to miss any of the game in order to get to Preston for a train back to London, but it's looking like I might have to. :(

There is an overnight train from Scotland to London, but you'd have to travel north to catch it - it's not a smooth plan.

If you're definitely planning on getting that 1808 train from Preston, you will make it without missing any of the game - with a little forward planning and a £15-£20 taxi ride. You'd need to book the taxi for 1/4 past 5, from a point a few hundred yards away from Ewood to avoid the rush away from the ground. Somewhere like the pub on Stancliffe Street near Micromatic, (I've forgotten the name but someone will know) - from there you'll be on the road to Preston in no time and easily make your train.

If you're meeting up with any of the folk who have benefitted from your ST initiative, (or they read this thread) I still reckon you'll get offered a lift and won't need a taxi!

There is an overnight train from Scotland to London, but you'd have to travel north to catch it - it's not a smooth plan.

If you're definitely planning on getting that 1808 train from Preston, you will make it without missing any of the game - with a little forward planning and a £15-£20 taxi ride. You'd need to book the taxi for 1/4 past 5, from a point a few hundred yards away from Ewood to avoid the rush away from the ground. Somewhere like the pub on Stancliffe Street near Micromatic, (I've forgotten the name but someone will know) - from there you'll be on the road to Preston in no time and easily make your train.

If you're meeting up with any of the folk who have benefitted from your ST initiative, (or they read this thread) I still reckon you'll get offered a lift and won't need a taxi!

Yeah I was thinking about hiring a taxi beforehand for this venture. They could probably pick up our luggage at the Fernhurst, meet us at that locationyou mentioned or somewhere equally convenient and we'd be gone. But you think that is enough time granted we leave as soon as the ref blows for full time?

So I guess the next question to anyone out there is if they know of a good reputable cab driver that works the Blackburn area?

Yeah I was thinking about hiring a taxi beforehand for this venture. They could probably pick up our luggage at the Fernhurst, meet us at that locationyou mentioned or somewhere equally convenient and we'd be gone. But you think that is enough time granted we leave as soon as the ref blows for full time?

So I guess the next question to anyone out there is if they know of a good reputable cab driver that works the Blackburn area?

If you get away from the Preston New Road side of the ground (ie the pub by Micromatic) at 5.15, you should be stood on the platform at Preston station 30 minutes later, so there's enough time and some more in case of problems.

I usually use Mill Hill Cars in Blackburn, but I wouldn't give any taxi driver custody of my luggage! And the problem with the Fernhurst after the game is that it gets affected by the exodus from the ground, so taxis won't want to be picking up there until a good while after the match.

So we need a solution for where to stash your luggage during the game. Have a think people!!

Archived