BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Red Rover, Red Rover, I'm Comin' Over!

You can stash it in the boot of our car which is usually in one of the spaces closest to the ground in the BBE Car Park. We have to wait until the pedestrians have cleared the ground so don't get out of the car park all that quickly but you could get your luggage straight after the match. Or maybe they'd look after it in Reception.

There is an overnight train from Scotland to London, but you'd have to travel north to catch it - it's not a smooth plan.

If you're definitely planning on getting that 1808 train from Preston, you will make it without missing any of the game - with a little forward planning and a £15-£20 taxi ride. You'd need to book the taxi for 1/4 past 5, from a point a few hundred yards away from Ewood to avoid the rush away from the ground. Somewhere like the pub on Stancliffe Street near Micromatic, (I've forgotten the name but someone will know) - from there you'll be on the road to Preston in no time and easily make your train.

If you're meeting up with any of the folk who have benefitted from your ST initiative, (or they read this thread) I still reckon you'll get offered a lift and won't need a taxi!

He would be looking at about £4 from a taxi there to the train station,

I can't describe the feeling of pride it gives me when folks like Hypo and Dillo make the trip to Ewood. It also makes me realise how fortunate I am to live fairly locally and get to Ewood on a regular basis.

Happy to help in any way I possibly can.

You can stash it in the boot of our car which is usually in one of the spaces closest to the ground in the BBE Car Park. We have to wait until the pedestrians have cleared the ground so don't get out of the car park all that quickly but you could get your luggage straight after the match. Or maybe they'd look after it in Reception.

I think I just might take you up on the offer, roversmum.

Unless some intrepid local wants to make a few quid to spirit the missus and I to the station right after the match :ph34r: I think we'll just have to leg it from the car-park to a taxi and hope that we beat the traffic to preston Station.

I sure didn't envisage this to be a problem when I saw the match being pushed back, but it has become quite the sticky situation! Because not only are the trains few and far between from preston to London, BUT the tube stations will be closing around us when we do arrive in London. Ahh, what fun is a holiday overseas without a bit of drama? :unsure:

Ok now for a question for you more experienced train riders...

I see a later train (18:30) out of Preston that makes a switch in Manchester. Because of the Chelsea horde that will be there because of the game against ManU would this gum up the works to the point I might not make the transfer? I asked Tris via PM, but in case he's out for the evening, I guess it'd be good to post the question to the rest of you. Would a transfer time of 20 minutes be ok with the increased number of people likely to be travelling the rails from Manchester? Or do you think I'd be better served to take my chances and hoof it to preston by the 6:00 train to get back to London? As you all can tell, I really do not want to miss any part of the game. I hate leaving early even with the local sporting events I go to, much less my first trip to Ewood!!

Thanks in advance! :tu:

I think you leave as soon as possible after the game and hope you make the earlier train. If you miss it the 18.30 is your back up. 20 minutes is plenty of time to change trains at Picadilly, it isn't that big. Another consideration would be to aim for the later trains and reserve a seat on the Manchester - London one. You will get on, the question is if you have to stand all the way to London - not unsual on our trains!

I think you leave as soon as possible after the game and hope you make the earlier train. If you miss it the 18.30 is your back up. 20 minutes is plenty of time to change trains at Picadilly, it isn't that big. Another consideration would be to aim for the later trains and reserve a seat on the Manchester - London one. You will get on, the question is if you have to stand all the way to London - not unsual on our trains!

Oh man, I just looked at my confirmation and it says no seats could be reserved for my trip from Liverpool to Blackburn. Does that mean we'll be standing all the way? I know that's not a huge ordeal to stand for that 45 minutes or so, but it sure doesn't make it comfortable.

I think I'll reserve the 18:08 and change to the 18:30 just in case I don't make it in time like you suggested. That sounds a good plan.

Does that mean we'll be standing all the way?

Unlikely. It's usually commuter trains or popular weekend services that are packed. Most times you'd be fine on the Preston - London or manchester - London service but if there are a lot of Chelsea fans you may have trouble getting seats. Virgin trains are not reknowened for putting on extra trains or carriages at times of high demand!

Virgin trains are not reknowened for putting on extra trains or carriages at times of high demand

Yes that would mean using simple common sense......a thing the british railways left in a siding many many years ago. :)

I can't describe the feeling of pride it gives me when folks like Hypo and Dillo make the trip to Ewood. It also makes me realise how fortunate I am to live fairly locally and get to Ewood on a regular basis.

Happy to help in any way I possibly can.

I went to EWood once...*sigh* :( Man i miss it everyday.

• 4 weeks later...
I sure didn't envisage this to be a problem when I saw the match being pushed back, but it has become quite the sticky situation! Because not only are the trains few and far between from preston to London, BUT the tube stations will be closing around us when we do arrive in London. Ahh, what fun is a holiday overseas without a bit of drama? :unsure:

Thank your lucky stars you were not travelling back from Blakburn tonight!

I left Blues Bar at 5.20pm, lift to Chorley, train to Manchester ...

Train from Manchester to London, signal failure in the Coventry area, I'm only just home now. 11 hours later.

:brfc:

Archived