BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Sorry! But You Lot Need Some Education!

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If you want people to know what you're talking about, it really does help if you can spell etc.

Having said that, I can understand what most people say, even if they completely mangle the language.

If people want to use ropey English, then really that is their problem, not mine, as it will hold them back in life. So I just let it go.

This thread would make an editor or technical writer go off the deep end. Not only are there grammatical errors in the first post berating posters for bad English that he/she themself displayed, but the subsequent posts are chock full of them! :rolleyes:

I think the lesson to be learned is that people type how they talk and don't always go back and proof read their comments. Is that a fault? I don't think so. If you're in a pub and some bloke is talking footy with you and keeps getting his cliche's mixed up, would you correct him at every instance or just saunter off? I doubt you would correct every error because if you did that you'd become an instant annoyance (hint, hint), and you can do the same here as at the pub. If it does your head in to read people's mistakes, saunter off and read another page in your grammar primary.

Don't get me wrong, there are some posts that do my head in as well, (textspeak, Abbey's posts :lol: ) but I read them anyway because I know to take their writing styles with a grain of salt.

Crikey mister! Humour bypass imminent.

Guess the people that like it least are from the younger generation who are bloody woeful at grammar and spelling but feel that it doesn't matter!

I never said I was perfect and sometimes spell things incorrectly. Please feel free to point out my errors as I am more than willing to learn.

However, you will never see me writing something like "I would of been there ....". It was something bugging me so I had to vent my spleen.

No apology to some of the more sensitive types who think this shouldn't be highlighted.

You're probably the same ones demanding exam-free qualifications - googling your way to A* GCSE assessment-only style.

From the Compact Oxford English Dictionary

faux pas

/fo paa/

• noun (pl. same) a social blunder.

— ORIGIN French, ‘false step’.

I think this topic should be taken as tongue in cheek and not seriously, EB. Life is is too short........

I agree,life is to short.It's far too short to get upset and depressed over something as trivial as somebody writing "I would of been there"

I say to him,get a life,and stop trying to educate people to what he thinks are his standards.

As for faux pas.it's still french ,no matter how many english dictionaries it's in,and if it does have an English meaning then wouldn't it be more appropiate to use the English translation .

Sacre ruddy bleau./

But no-one says "false step" in English, do they?

A phrase has been appropriated from the French in this case as it's a handy phrase to use. If it's in the English dictionary then that means it is a valid English phrase.

And I don't think it's Damage's standards that he is trying to educate people to, but the general standards of teh English language. Your use of English is either up to standard or not, and if people write "should of" instead of "should have" then it's not up to standard, that's pretty clear to me.

But no-one says "false step" in English, do they?

A phrase has been appropriated from the French in this case as it's a handy phrase to use. If it's in the English dictionary then that means it is a valid English phrase.

And I don't think it's Damage's standards that he is trying to educate people to, but the general standards of teh English language. Your use of English is either up to standard or not, and if people write "should of" instead of "should have" then it's not up to standard, that's pretty clear to me.

So,your telling me that anybody on here who isn't up to the standards of English grammar are going to bullied into not having an opion in case they upset a bunch of educated geeks.

As stated before,educate who you want,but I'm a Rovers fan on a Rovers board.

If I needed educating then I've be logging onto a education site ,and discussing it on the said forum.

As far as anybody on here is concerned,it's up to them,but in my case,frankly ,I don't give one iota what you think.

Now if you ddon't mind.

I don't care how you spell (or don't spell) - check my earlier post.

No-one is bullying anyone into not having an opinion. Certainly I would never try to stop someone having an opinion because of their spelling.

But it doesn't mean the standards of spelling and grammar on here are a no-go area.

How on Earth can somebody be a geek for pointing out how awful the "have"/"of" mistake is? You don't have to be university educated to type properly. I think some people use lower standards of English as a badge of honour.

The scary thing is that there is a whole generation of teachers entering the profession who haven't been taught basic rules of grammar.

They have gone some way to address this by the introduction of the TTA tests in Literacy, Numeracy and ICT but having taken those I would say I still had to do a lot of work independently to make sure I was knowledgable enough to teach what I have to. How many other teachers are that conciencous? I don't even claim to know it all but I make sure that I have swotted up before delivering a lesson. How many teachers bother to do that?

I had the pleasure of observing a teacher who was doing definitions with her class and wrote on the board - A spade - something what you dig with. That isn't a one off by her or by any other teachers but there is no hope for future generations with people like her teaching.

Amazingly I find the bulk of posts within this excellent forum are not too bad in the use of english. If you really want to wince visit the BBC boards, illiteracy personified.

The main task is to communicate clearly, good grammar can help.

As for those who disparage the need to use clear english perhaps they should spend a little time reading some of the appalling attempts at job applications I have had the misfortune to review over the years. Sadly I have never been able to judge whether the writers would have been good candidates because there have always been other choices for interview.

Practice makes perfect, but in this forum there aren't marks available for good english.

Practice makes perfect, but in this forum there aren't marks available for good english.

Practise/ Practice is a big talking point in school and I always get my reports back because I have used the wrong one!

I think every year I have nailed it and every year I have done it wrong!

Practise - is the verb

Practice - is the noun

So if I am right the practice in the post I quoted should be spelt - practise because it is the verb of to practise, isn't it???

Practise/ Practice is a big talking point in school and I always get my reports back because I have used the wrong one!

Practise - is the verb

Practice - is the noun

So if I am right the practice in the post I quoted should be spelt - practise because it is the verb of to practise, isn't it???

Correct, but as I said there are no marks for good english here ;)

Practise - is the verb

Practice - is the noun

Nope, try again :(

WOW! - I only wanted to have a bit of a moan about something rather trivial (for this MB)! Seems like some people aren't vg at language so have a moan at the red tape of grammar rules "can't be bovvered wiv all dat". Fair enough. I dont really care how people communicate (especially on here) but if you cant get the basics right don't expect to be taken seriously when it comes to the serious things like job applications!.

Oh and this is the ICBINF forum so I'm just expressing an opinion. You can give yours too (as long as you dont get at the mods! :ph34r: ).

How many people on here sing the Rovers songs/chants in perfect English?

How many songs/chants are in perfect English?

do the opposition still understand ?

:rover:

How does that relate here? You can communicate non-verbally but this place would be rubbish if people just posted emoticons. The original point was nothing really more than a rant about the relative stupidity of how some people use the written language, not that we somehow can't understand what is being said because it is confusing.

Considering many of the chants/songs contain numerous profanities they probably do. :ph34r:

:lol:

thats my point, it may not be pretty sometimes, but if it is understood, sorted.

as other people have pointed out, this is a supporters MB not an English school

:rover:

I thought the whole point of language was to communicate, if someone understands what you meant, even with some errors, then it is job done.

If the geeks want perfection, tell them to start an education forum :lol:

You're absolutely right and on an MB such as this incorrect use of English should not be used to criticise others. Personally I like to be as correct as possible, I feel it's important and I do sometimes smile at the errors people make but nothing more. I though Damage was just having a rant rather than a pop at people? However I feel younger people do not appreciate the importance others attach to the correct use of language and the impact on communication. I don't "enjoy" the small variants of text speak which slip into modern use and feel in daily life it has an impact on the perception of an individual. Personally I wince at phrases like "well good" and similar.

Eats shoots and leaves...............

The scary thing is that there is a whole generation of teachers entering the profession who haven't been taught basic rules of grammar.

This came as a surprise to me recently when I read that basic grammar is not taught in even some of the country's most elite independent schools.

BTW, practise is the verb. "Licence and "license", "might" and "may" and "compared with" and "compared to" are also often used incorrectly.

Archived