BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Sorry! But You Lot Need Some Education!

But it helps you as a person and makes you the individual, and a thoroughly decent one in my view, that you are. More important than work, in my opinion.

The best and most concise answer on the subject here, puts my ramblings on the subject to shame. :)

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply
ewoodblue, I did an HND when I was 50. I was also offered employment by the College when I had completed it. It's a disgrace that you have been messed around and I wish you all the best in your future. Keep us posted.

Thanks for the encouragement,Roversmum.I appreciate it.

I went to a private hearing aid center,and asked her to put her finding in writing to my doctor.

She agreed I have severe bi-aural loss in both ears,and she also agreed a analouge aid would not benifit me.She put it in writing to my doctor that I need help in securing full time employment,and being able to attend college to further my education.

Shortly after,the N.H.S put me on a 2 year waiting list. I rang them to tell them if this is how you want to keep treating me,then I'll give the letter to a solicitor to see what grounds I have to be treat in a fair way.They changed there minds ,and now I have an appointment next week.

Over all the college have been great with me,but the career advisor told me as soon as I get the aid ,then come and make an appoimntment to see her again.They wanted to help me with a signing tutor,but the deaf society will only learn people who are completely deaf.

Fingers crossed,I'll be able to take them all on soon.I learn't to swim last year,and I'm doing 50 lengths breastroke,and now I'm in a pool with P.A.D.I divers.It's all about gaining confidence.It might be fustrating,but my experience I've had from college,I loved it.Like a college teacher told me " they would never of conquered Everest without that first step"

PS..My niece has just got a degree,and I'm proud of her.She's going to see her last year out,but then she'll be working in the Blackburn Rovers youth set-up as a training instructor. <_<

Going slightly off topic, does anyone have a 'favourite' word (not a rude one, ;) ) that they seem to use more than they should either intentionally or accidentally?

Turns out I've been using extrapolate more than one would normally expect. In fact a friend - errhmm - extrapolated that he'd have over £50 if he had a quid for everytime I've used it lately!

Going slightly off topic, does anyone have a 'favourite' word (not a rude one, ;) ) that they seem to use more than they should either intentionally or accidentally?

Turns out I've been using extrapolate more than one would normally expect. In fact a friend - errhmm - extrapolated that he'd have over £50 if he had a quid for everytime I've used it lately!

I'm always saying nefadivious.The word doesn't exist,but somebody once said it comes from the word nefarious(it doesn't).

Saying that ,it sounds like a word,so the word stuck.

Daftest thing I've ever said a few weeks ago.Somebody cracked a joke and I actually uttered in response "lol"

Typing it is one thing,but when you actually speak it,it sounds so odd.

I like using this site .It's always a good reference.

http://www.mirriamwebster.com/

Ewood,

All the best for the future. A colleague of mine for some years has severe hearing loss and it's a real eye-opener (sorry, perhaps not the best phrase to use) on how thoughtless some people can be. Perhaps all of us lucky enough to have decent hearing should spend a couple of days with sponge in out ears just to appreciate how difficult it can be.

Just on the spelling/grammar subject. At work we get to see and answer quite a few letters people have written to the Prime Minister and other Ministers on various subjects. We do our best to answer all of them equally fairly, but it is difficult to take seriously some people who are just being sloppy. As RoversMum said, a decent standard of English always helps.

We do appreciate that some people don't have the skills for one reason or another, but if you write to Gordon Brown using green felt tip pen........................

Ewood,

All the best for the future. A colleague of mine for some years has severe hearing loss and it's a real eye-opener (sorry, perhaps not the best phrase to use) on how thoughtless some people can be. Perhaps all of us lucky enough to have decent hearing should spend a couple of days with sponge in out ears just to appreciate how difficult it can be.

Just on the spelling/grammar subject. At work we get to see and answer quite a few letters people have written to the Prime Minister and other Ministers on various subjects. We do our best to answer all of them equally fairly, but it is difficult to take seriously some people who are just being sloppy. As RoversMum said, a decent standard of English always helps.

We do appreciate that some people don't have the skills for one reason or another, but if you write to Gordon Brown using green felt tip pen........................

Thanks ,Colin.Your comments are much appreciated.

In the past to much as fallen on deaf ears(joke),and a lot of the people who you turn to for support,don't listen.Like I told one of them,"I'm hard opf hearing for a reson,what's your excuse."Some of these people need to get their heads out of the red tape,and start treating people as individuals with needs ,and not just a statistic for the govenment.

I'm comfertable as I am,so I'm under no pressure to seek employmemt,but I volunteered ,and that's my choice.To better yourself ,sometimes you have to take a step back to move forward,and as long as the powers that be keep their promises to help me into further education,and not just an excuse to make me another statistic,then I'm up for the challenge.

The diving,the college,etc.People say why bother,but it's not just fun,I'm trying to open doors.

Saying that,I'm a very lucky guy.When I consider people with no eyesight, or can't walk, and many other disabilities then it puts my problem in perspective.

Hopefully,when I sort my problem out,then I can work in helping others with disabilities.If only in a voluntary status.People can't change the world,but they can make that little difference by learning to understand,and learning to care.

I'm also very lucky to,because I'm a supporter of the best club in the whole world :brfc:

As many of you know, I' somewhat picky about grammar and spelling but I'd like to think I am more tolerant of posters on here now than I used to be, unless the poster in question is a buffoon (my favourite overused word, incidentally) in which case it just fuels my ire. Typing mistakes are just that, mistakes, but the things that grate are the usual basics.

their/there

should have/of

of/off

to/too

your/you're

Personally, I don't think anyone should be allowed to leave school without a certificate in basic English whereby they demonstrate correct use of basic points of grammar (especially apostrophes and question marks) and basic spelling. The only ones to be exempted would be people with a reasonable excuse, such as learning disability or visual impairment. Then again, I firmly believe that the educational system as it currently is doesn't really help matters.

Having a raft of educational certificates is not necessarily a guarantee of competence in written English. One of my colleagues left school at 16 and has no academic qualifications at all, but his written work is always faultless and that's not due to spell-checkers either. Incidentally, he doesn't even speak English as a first language. On the other hand, I recently read a report by another colleague who has umpteen GCSEs, A-levels and a degree (Business Studies, I think) and there was a spelling or grammatical mistake in almost every sentence, so going through six pages of that was extremely painful. On top of that, her basic sentence construction was extremely tedious and very staccato in style.

Point of grammar for a few pedants to note:- sometimes it is "its" rather than "it's". "It's" is a contraction of "it is". When the word is used to show possession of an object it becomes "its" to show it is not a contraction of "it is". For example, "the dog's dinner" could be written as "its dinner". Anyone who writes "it's dinner" is actually saying "it is dinner". I hope that clears things up for those who gets excitable about "it's".

Now then, the thing I think many people need educating on is a song we often sing at Ewood. It drives me insane when I hear people say "'til we play Burnley...". It's not "'til" it's "will"! Will! Get it? We are saying we will never play Burnley again as they are so sh1te. 'Til doesn't make any bloody sense! This bloody annoying 'til/will confusion has sprung up in the last five years and it now seems that most say "'til". It wasn't like that in the early 80s when I started going.

Now then, the thing I think many people need educating on is a song we often sing at Ewood. It drives me insane when I hear people say "'til we play Burnley...". It's not "'til" it's "will"! Will! Get it? We are saying we will never play Burnley again as they are so sh1te. 'Til doesn't make any bloody sense! This bloody annoying 'til/will confusion has sprung up in the last five years and it now seems that most say "'til". It wasn't like that in the early 80s when I started going.

I have written on here a million times and more about it being WILL, not til, but it doesn't make any difference. I think it's the 'Nouveau Rovers' who sing it, those who have't stood on Turf Moor more than twice and who haven't grown up with the rivalry.

Burnley sing the same chorus. In the mid 80's I asked a Claret workmate why they sang WILL (like we did). At the time we were one, if not two, divisions above them and he agreed with me that it meant that they were effectively singing that they would never play us again. He just laughed and said, "I know, it doesn't make sense."

WILL - WILL - WILL - WILL - WILL :brfc:

I have two favorite words BURNLEY ZERO

:lol::lol::lol:

Plethora is one of my favorites....

Nice one . Reminds me of my favourite ex who used to take enormous pleasure in using such words - "obstropulous" was her particular favourite ....

The most annoying misuse of grammar and the like for me is the incorrect use of the word "literally" - as in those who state , for example , that they literally "hit the roof" !

Then there's the footballing favourite "....the lads will be giving 110% in today's match " Obviously 100% isn't good enough anymore :blink:

Most of the Norwegians on here write excellent English with hardly any grammatical errors in what is their second language. I wonder why?

My guess is that most of them spent more time reading English books and literature in schools than many of their English counterparts in the last decade or two .

The standards in all too many of our state schools is a national disgrace and the failure by the political establishment to address it is shameful . We are still suffering from the trendy teaching methods imposed from those on high who believed (and still do) that high literary and grammatical standards equated to "elitism" and therefore must be shied away from .

"We need to engage with children " is one of the oft repeated mantras from the "modern" teacher that duz my ed in :ph34r:

Discombobulate.......it just sounds like such a good word. Don't think I have ever had occassion to use it.

My Grandad used to say that to me all the time - the context he said it in is - Do that again and I will discombobulate you!!!!

Blue Phil we are currently trying to teach are new children to speak as they are arriving with no speech or vocabulary to converse in! Parents need to start talking to their children!!!!

My guess is that most of them spent more time reading English books and literature in schools than many of their English counterparts in the last decade or two .

The standards in all too many of our state schools is a national disgrace and the failure by the political establishment to address it is shameful . We are still suffering from the trendy teaching methods imposed from those on high who believed (and still do) that high literary and grammatical standards equated to "elitism" and therefore must be shied away from .

"We need to engage with children " is one of the oft repeated mantras from the "modern" teacher that duz my ed in :ph34r:

I agree with pretty much everything that has been said, regarding the comparison between native English speakers and our Norwegian or other non Anglo-Saxon compatriots. Our system is poor in the main (I too have poor grammar and punctuation) in comparison with our European counterparts.

However, a solitary point has been overlooked, is that im guessing that those non-native English speakers in question have probably taken the qualification of English at a higher level educationally than most native English speakers. For example someone could study English to G.C.S.E level (11-16 years old 4 hrs a week very basic) in the UK whilst those studying English as second language will study for much longer on pronunciation of words, grammar and punctuation than their Anglo-Saxon counterparts. English is a subject the same as any educational subject, and therefore the better the educational system, the better the student (generally).

For example a student from the U.K, who did a university course on American literature or middle-eastern studies, they would have a greater knowledge of the respective subjects than the average indigenous populace of those nations/regions.

There is no excuse for general laziness and text speak however :blink:

I'm 53 have "O" level English Literature and Language. When required I can write with the best, use the language as intended, easily spotting my own errors. I doubt my schooling included more than 2-3 hours of English each week but we were encouraged, expected in fact, by home and school, to read widely. I doubt your theory on studying the language deeply holds true for the majority you describe. Their education system is simply superior.

I'd re-read your second paragraph before commenting on general laziness; the construction and language use are poor.

I'm 53 have "O" level English Literature and Language. When required I can write with the best, use the language as intended, easily spotting my own errors. I doubt my schooling included more than 2-3 hours of English each week but we were encouraged, expected in fact, by home and school, to read widely. I doubt your theory on studying the language deeply holds true for the majority you describe. Their education system is simply superior.

I'd re-read your second paragraph before commenting on general laziness; the construction and language use are poor.

Personally I have severe dyslexia (that’s my excuse), but I do try my best and hope I don’t that to come across too illiterate. ( queue snipping & quips).

When you stated that you have an “O-Level in English, it kind of reminded of a conversation I had with an old-school English lit teacher some years back . He stated that English was much more practical back in the day of O-level or CSE than the contempory GCSE, he said we are teaching students 11-16 yr olds about Wordsworth, Shakespeare and Dickens etc , when kids cant even read and write properly.

IMO - The modern educational does have some benefits : in that today’s kids ( the ones that turn up and try), generally have a vaster knowledge of a variety subjects than their parents, who interestingly usually have better practical skills than there juniors

Blue Phil we are currently trying to teach are new children to speak as they are arriving with no speech or vocabulary to converse in! Parents need to start talking to their children!!!!

I can well believe it , Hannah and I don't envy you in your task . That suggests to me that the current generation of semi literates aren't the first ! When did the graduates of the 70's first gain influence over the way kids are taught I wonder .... :rolleyes:

What annoys me most of all is the pretence that everything is cosy in the education system and that standards haven't declined when it's bleedin' obvious that they have .

Maybe we should encourage mass immigration of teachers from Norway *

* ( Feel free to censor that last line , SteB <_< )

He stated that English was much more practical back in the day of O-level or CSE than the contempory GCSE, he said we are teaching students 11-16 yr olds about Wordsworth, Shakespeare and Dickens etc , when kids cant even read and write properly.

IMO - The modern educational does have some benefits : in that today’s kids ( the ones that turn up and try), generally have a vaster knowledge of a variety subjects than their parents, who interestingly usually have better practical skills than there juniors

I'd venture to say that there are many teachers in the system who are entirely ignorant of the authors mentioned ......and I'm not talking about the non English teachers !

Nobody , but nobody , should be allowed to go through their school life without studying in detail at least one of the classic authors . Also it should be compulsory for pupils to spend a few hours a week in silent reading books of their own choice from the library . That way they get used to reading and get used to the form of words and sentences ........or at the very least catch up on their sleep :blink:

Speaking of misuse of words, the one that really sends me catatonic is when people say that something that has been completely destroyed or express their utter desolation by using the word "decimated". It is frequently heard following natural catastrophes, plane crashes, death of celebrities, etc and while I can forgive the uneducated and ignorant, I have even heard news reporters (supposedly intelligent people) saying it. It doesn't mean destroy completely or kill in vast numbers or desolated. It means a forced reduction (usually by death) of 10%. 10%! No more! Aaaaaaarrrrrrggggghhhhh!!!!!!!!!

Archived