BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Difference Between Hughes And Souness

AndyC

Souness buggered off ,and left us for relegation to feather is own nest and wallet in Newcastle.

I'm sorry if I'm not interested in hearing about good old Souness.

I won't even attempt to draw comparisons with a guy who thought taking wife out on THursday night was more important than the U.E.F.A Cup.

Best thing that ever happened was when Sparky(the fans choice),pulled us out of the mire,and put Rovers back on their feet again.

Keep up the good work,Sparky.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not really sure why you qouted me, I didn't even mention Souness.

I can think of no manager in the Premier League better, with the exception of Wenger and Ferguson. To have just one criticism for a football manager shows just how well he is doing.

Souness was far from a failure at Ewood... more successful tenure than Hartford,Hodgeson and Kidd.

Hartford-didn't we finish just outside the top 6 in his only full season? Didn't want the job.

Hodgson-6th in his only full season.

Kidd-couldn't manage.

Souness-got us 6th and won the League cup. Wasted an horrendous amount of money,froze out players, etc.

Would have been relegated if he had stayed.

You don't know that.

However, he did sign some quality players for very little money (Friedel, Neill and Tugay for example). He only really wasted big money on Grabbi, he was somewhat unlucky with the way that things turned out with Ferguson.

He also got the best out of some young players and got them to play some great football. He was a very good manager and I consider him to be an overall success. I think people forget sometimes just how poor we looked before Souness took over. We were pretty down and out in division 1 and we could have easily ended up being like a number of clubs who have been relegated and never managed to make it back. He got us up and kept us there.

Of our Premiership managers I would say Dalgish and Hughes are neck and neck; each had their different approach but each got success. Then for me there is no doubt that Souness is the next best. He started off very well and got us promoted followed by a Carling Cup win, and then got the team more or less established in the Prem again. Then for some unfathomable reason he seemed to lose the plot, and in the end I was glad he went when he did and Sparky came in, because if that had not happened we were heading straight for relegation again.

How can they be neck and neck? I'm a big Hughes fan but I simply don't get this stuff about how he can come close to KG. One got us promoted from one division and then won a title. Ok, he had the money to do it, but that is still a hell of an achievement and something that the likes of Liverpool, Spurs, Newcastle and Boro with all of their money spent haven't even got close to. Hughes has one sixth place finish to his name and a couple of cup semis. The team is building nicely, he's made some great signings and I'm very optimistic for the future, but until he has at least two top sixth finishes to his name or until he has won a cup he struggles to differentiate himself from Souness statistically, let alone put himself close to KG.

Hartford-didn't we finish just outside the top 6 in his only full season? Didn't want the job.

Kidd-couldn't manage.

Souness-got us 6th and won the League cup. Wasted an horrendous amount of money,froze out players, etc.

It's a bit too simplistic to just sum up like that.

As a manager Harford took us from being the best team in the country to being bottom of the league in 15 months. When we sacked him we were bottom with no wins in November.

Hodgson did very well first season. However he wasn't strong enough to command respect from the players as admintted in David Dunns interview of last season on the Radio lancs website.

Souness buggered off ,and left us for relegation to feather is own nest and wallet in Newcastle.

I won't even attempt to draw comparisons with a guy who thought taking wife out on THursday night was more important than the U.E.F.A Cup.

Best thing that ever happened was when Sparky(the fans choice),pulled us out of the mire,and put Rovers back on their feet again.

If it wasn't for Souness there's a very real chance we could be languishing now in the lower leagues like other Premier League has-beens such as Barnsley, Sheff Weds or Bradford. Souness managed to sort out a squad full of overpaid journeymen and get them up in what I believe was a very small timeframe to do it in. Had we not gone up the year we did, we'd have lost players like Duff and Jansen and not had naywhere near the financial muscle to replace with quality. For that reason alone Souness should get respect from Rovers fans. The fact he gave us a major trophy is just the icing on the cake.

Keep up the good work,Sparky.

You think Hughes wouldn't leave if we were struggling down the bottom and a bigger team came in and offered him more money? Particularly when his job was somewhat at risk. You'd have to be very loyal or very stupid to turn it down, probably a combination. Personally I don't think there are many managers around who wouldn't have done the same.

I've said before on here (and unfortunately it's fairly topical at the moment) that there were rumours that Spurs wanted GS after he had beaten them in the Worthy Cup and then got us into Europe the year after. If he had gone then we would have remembered him as one of the best managers that we ever had. As it was the next two seasons were very nearly disastrous and left him as public enemy No 1 in Blackburn.

Strange effect.... rather like a team having a barnstorming first half and racing to a 3-0 lead and then an awful second half and allowing the opposition to score twice, the crowd leave subdued whereas going 0-2 down and scoring 3 in a superb second half leaves the crowd elated. What I am trying to say is that if GS's tenure had been reversed we'd still be rueing his leaving.

Kidd-couldn't manage.

Dont forget Souness dragged Rovers up from near the botton of Div1(yes we were below Burnley at one point) and won promotion.I for one wont ever forget that night at Deepdale nor Cardiff.

Short memory? <_<

Souness did an excellent job for Rovers - and left in a way that guaranteed Rovers a pay out - when in all probability he was only a few games away from the sack anyway. The timing of his departure enabled us to get Hughes. Lets not forget that GS brought Hughes to the club - whose to say whether he would have accepted the managers post if he hadn't already experienced the pleasures of the Ribble Valley ?

Also - who can forget Cardiff ?

So all in all I am more than happy with our present and previous managers.

Archived