BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Champions League

neekoy

Whats the chances of Man Utd getting the weakest side left in the last eight?

Are you implying UEFA will fix the draw so that they do get the weakest side? If so, please try and justify that, I'd love to hear it.

• Replies 377
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Difficult to fix anyway as they use pieces of paper in plastic balls in pots, somebody has to get what is judged the easy draw and Utd seem to get it.

All I said was what is the chances of Utd getting a weaker side I never used the word fixed in my previous post.

If draws were fixed, we would probably have seen one properly expodsed by now (as opposed to the Scottish FA getting confused by their own teams).

But, UEFA would probably want to see the four English clubs playing each other whilst the easy draws for the Mancs would be Liverpool or Fenerbahce- assuming no unexpected under dog heroics tomorrow or a week tomorrow.

The Austrian officials looked totally out of their depth tonight. Quite rightly, UEFA don't give CL games to Maltese officials but you have to say the football Arsenal and AC were playing tonight is at least one universe removed from what those guys officiate in the Austrian League (I get it free on one of the channels here and the standard is woeful at present).

I think your a little harsh on the ref, yes he may have made got the odd minor decision wrong but he got all the critical or major decisions right and was never responsible for the scoreline being any different from what it actually was.

Well played referee.

I think your a little harsh on the ref, yes he may have made got the odd minor decision wrong but he got all the critical or major decisions right and was never responsible for the scoreline being any different from what it actually was.

Well played referee.

So the trip on Hleb on the edge of the penalty area which Hleb got booked for was an odd minor decision?

The clearly onside move which delivered the ball to Abedayor in front of an empty net at the end of the first half was well played and had no impact on the score when incorrectly called offside?

Some of the other bookings were wierd, particularly Sagno's.

When will Italian football get out of its stupid Zero Tolerance for Wingers phase? They all seem to pack their team with a bunch of CMs and hope to scrape victory. It worked at the last Euros (I know, it was so dull, it's hard to recollect anything of it) but thankfully it's not working in the Champs League.

There is nothing in the rules that says you can't "exaggerate"

In fact if I was tripped in the San Siro I would make sure the ref knew about it.

If everybody rolls around when fouled and then you get fouled and don't make "a meal of it". Then surely the ref will think it was not a foul.

It has come to the point where you have to roll around like a fairy. Otherwise the ref ignores it (especially in Europe).

I couldn't believe it when the ref book Hleb

So the trip on Hleb on the edge of the penalty area which Hleb got booked for was an odd minor decision?

The clearly onside move which delivered the ball to Abedayor in front of an empty net at the end of the first half was well played and had no impact on the score when incorrectly called offside?

Some of the other bookings were wierd, particularly Sagno's.

Slow motion replay suggests yes, he got it wrong along with the booking of Hleb but it didnt affect the outcome of the game. Supporters need to remember that the referees dont have the luxury of viewing a game at 360 degrees with the benefit of a replay in slow motion the ref just called it as he saw it from his position on the field of play another position might have resulted in a different outcome but his fitness and positioning was of a very high standard .

The offside for me was offside and a correct call by the assistant referee but that had nothing to do with the referees judgement just that he backed up his assistants call.

Cant remember Sagnos caution but Kakas was totally justified.

I thought Arsenal were simply terrific yesterday. The officiating, jeez, early on infact most of the first half, he was blowing if you ran too close to another player, it did seem to be going a lot in favor of Milan. Second half I thought he did do a better job.

Credit to Arsenal for taking the game to them, I thought they were never going to get the break through, first half in particular the Milan defence looked inpenetrable. Thoroughly enjoyed the match though.

I thought Arsenal were simply terrific yesterday. The officiating, jeez, early on infact most of the first half, he was blowing if you ran too close to another player, it did seem to be going a lot in favor of Milan. Second half I thought he did do a better job.

Credit to Arsenal for taking the game to them, I thought they were never going to get the break through, first half in particular the Milan defence looked inpenetrable. Thoroughly enjoyed the match though.

It was a great match wasnt it, thoroughly enjoyable, the noise i made when Fabregas hit the back of the net from seemingly out of nothing shook our house.

Thought Fabregas and Flamini were excellent in their control, passing and support play, along with their defensive side of the game it was the highest of highest order. Reminded me of just what level Rovers need to go to in the centre of midfield. If Eboue and Diaby had matched these two in their areas of the field then Arsenal would have been truly outstanding.

There is nothing in the rules that says you can't "exaggerate"

In fact if I was tripped in the San Siro I would make sure the ref knew about it.

If everybody rolls around when fouled and then you get fouled and don't make "a meal of it". Then surely the ref will think it was not a foul.

It has come to the point where you have to roll around like a fairy. Otherwise the ref ignores it (especially in Europe).

I couldn't believe it when the ref book Hleb

i appreciate the practicalities of the situation but it is undeniably gamesmanship. having no confidence you will get the right decision is no justification for it

i appreciate the practicalities of the situation but it is undeniably gamesmanship. having no confidence you will get the right decision is no justification for it

I guess our team is as guilty as anyone really.

Dunn, Bentley, Benni

Everyone

When will Italian football get out of its stupid Zero Tolerance for Wingers phase? They all seem to pack their team with a bunch of CMs and hope to scrape victory. It worked at the last Euros (I know, it was so dull, it's hard to recollect anything of it) but thankfully it's not working in the Champs League.

It's just Milan that do that I think, all the other big teams have wingers.

Plus it does work in the CL for Milan - Man Utd couldn't handle it last season! Well done to Arsenal by the way.

Watching Real Madrid vs Roma at the moment, not much to say as of yet.

Aquilani's had two very good shots saved, whilst Mexes denied Baptista a goal with a great block. And David Platt hasn't been missing his meals the last few years, clearly.

That's about it, at the moment it looks like Roma can build on their 2-1 lead, but Real Madrid is always likely to create problems (even though they've been pretty toothless up until now!)

Chelsea through too, if Liverpool didn't lose 3-0 to Inter next week we'd see all four into the last eight :rock:

71: Pepe sent off

73: Taddei connecting with a Tonetto cross, 1-0

74: Raul sent through on goal (offside) and one-on-one that means goal. 1-1!

Will be a really interesting last fifteen!

Roma made it 1-2.

A tactical victory for Spalletti at last, a nicely controlled game by Roma - Raul's offside goal the exception to the rule. When is the draw?

I fear Manchester United will win this, they are just too solid at the moment. Inter was my main candidate, but seems like they are leaving. Roma can beat anyone, but they probably won't, and with Inter out the main rivals will be English. Barcelona is of course always a possibility..

A tactical victory for Spalletti at last, a nicely controlled game by Roma - Raul's offside goal the exception to the rule. When is the draw?

Barcelona is of course always a possibility..

I presume it's after Liverpool's match next week.

Barca, who I like, aren't doing well in la liga.

Archived