SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Champions League

neekoy

• Replies 377
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Watched most of Real Madrid V Roma.

People say that diving and cheating is now in the English game but nothing like that. Every physical touch on a player resulted in the man going to ground and 9/10 times the ref gave a free-kick. The free-kick which Real hit the bar with being an obvious example.

Because of this I found myself getting frustrated at what was a very enjoyable game. The players are basically cheating and the ref is just giving it every time. How can a slight coming together of two peoples legs result in a man ending up on the floor. If the ref doesn't give the first few then the players will stop doing it. The worrying thing therefore is that the ref, who is obviously classes as at the top of his profession, must have thought they were actually fouls.

Not all Champions League games or european games are like this but tonights was a joke.

I think Liverpool are still a big threat in this competition, providing as expected they dispose of Inter next week, Benitez has a huge tactical know how when playing in europe as he has showed not just with Liverpool but also Valencia, even when he played against Chelsea he knew how to beat them in european competition.

Can't write off Arsenal either after the win in Milan, Chelsea will struggle against the stronger teams and as for the Salford reds although a very good side dont think they will make the final.

Watched most of Real Madrid V Roma.

People say that diving and cheating is now in the English game but nothing like that. Every physical touch on a player resulted in the man going to ground and 9/10 times the ref gave a free-kick. The free-kick which Real hit the bar with being an obvious example.

Because of this I found myself getting frustrated at what was a very enjoyable game. The players are basically cheating and the ref is just giving it every time. How can a slight coming together of two peoples legs result in a man ending up on the floor. If the ref doesn't give the first few then the players will stop doing it. The worrying thing therefore is that the ref, who is obviously classes as at the top of his profession, must have thought they were actually fouls.

Not all Champions League games or european games are like this but tonights was a joke.

True, and the referee didn't help by giving an insane amount of freekicks either. Michel Salgado is really starting to annoy me, what a cynical player..

With Manchelsarsepool in the last 8, anyone else noticed that the Champions League is becoming just another extension of the English Premier League?

Even a European Super League would have those four top dominating it year in year out.

1 v 4 and 3 v2 in the semis

That neatly screws Rafapool- probably will have to beat Arsenal, Chelsea and the Mancs to win it! Better still- Liverpool play the Arse three times in seven days as they have an EPL game sandwiched in between.

United will go through Roma like a dose of salts. With any luck they'll meet a superior Barac side in the semis. Arsenal haven't a hope of winning against Liverpool. The Reds may be crap in the league but Benitez has them very well drilled as far as Europe is concerned and they'll happily grind out a win. I'm sure Wenger would take a league victory against Liverpool in that series of games (any victory is a novelty down North London at the moment) to try and kick-start their all too predictable title collapse.

Even a European Super League would have those four top dominating it year in year out.

I don’t think so, they haven’t exactly dominated the champion’s league since the inception of the premiership, with two wins in 16 years, it’s hardly domination. You’re forgetting the history of clubs such as Madrid, Milan and Bayern, who if received comparable TV income to our big four would blow them away on a regular basis.

This year is an aberration and I fully expect the likes of Madrid, AC, Juve & Bayern too be challenging yet again, they are far too successful to not do so.

• 3 weeks later...

Nice to see the only English player playing top flight football outside the UK has just scored for Fenerbace against Chelsea.

Although Kazim-Richards has pledged his international footballing future outside England so the pool for Capello to pick from is hardly increased.

Nice to see the only English player playing top flight football outside the UK has just scored for Fenerbace against Chelsea.

Although Kazim-Richards has pledged his international footballing future outside England so the pool for Capello to pick from is hardly increased.

David Beckham?

David Beckham?

Nice to see the only English player playing top flight football outside the UK. David Beckham for sure is not playing top flight football. LA Galaxy would have serious problems if they came up against Accy Stanley judging by the way Colorado stuffed them 4-0.

Nice to see the only English player playing top flight football outside the UK. David Beckham for sure is not playing top flight football. LA Galaxy would have serious problems if they came up against Accy Stanley judging by the way Colorado stuffed them 4-0.

And I'm assuming that you watched the game from your armchair to know how poorly/well he played?

Joe Keenen? Mark Howard? James Keene? Terry Cooke? Danny Dichio?

I am sure there are more, Michael Bridges might be coming back to Sydney

Archived