BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Champions League

neekoy

I hate them too and i think its because of their fans. They still talk like they are the best team in the league, yet they havent come close to winning it for years. If they win the Champs league again then we will never hear the end of it.

Also adopted_scouser are you a blackburn fan or a liverpool fan?

It occured to me last night that I really don't like Liverpool very much. I can't put my finger on it, but I let out an unexpected cheer when Adebayor scored to make it 2-2 on the night, then I realised I had been subconciously cheering on Arsenal for most of the game, and I really don't like Arsenal much either.

Now I find myself hoping that Chelsea dick them in the semis. And I still don't really know why.

• Replies 377
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I hate them too and i think its because of their fans. They still talk like they are the best team in the league, yet they havent come close to winning it for years. If they win the Champs league again then we will never hear the end of it.

Also adopted_scouser are you a blackburn fan or a liverpool fan?

Blackburn fan all my life, lived on the Wirral for 16 years so my support last night went for the team in red. Agreed CLB, it was a fantastic game.

Looking at l'Arse, there are "only" two things they don't have in either their first team or the kids coming through.

A commanding forward and a leader at the heart of their defence. Next season, they will be without Eduardo and van Persie looks very iffy based on yesterday's heavily bandaged cameo.

Midfield, they'll be OK particularly if Rosicky recovers fully plus if combined with their reserves and youth squads, Arsenal have at least a dozen midfielders of Premiership standard.

Drogba wants out of Chelsea and it isn't as though those two clubs have never done transfer business whilst a reeincarnation of Tony Adams needs to be summoned from somewhere.

Arsenal certainly have the financial muscle to make those sorts of purchases this summer. The only question is the will to do it as next season or the one after, that squad as it is will have become battle hardened enough to sweep the board.

One feels that Wenger sees himself as being above the ugly world of transfer dealing. Yes he'll bring in new players every season but rarely will he have to put up much of fight to get them (since they are usually recruited from smaller clubs) nor will the club have to front the funds to buy genuine, fully formed, world class talent. It's clear they require two or three top quality players with a cold, winning mentality. Their surrender of impetus in the league at Birmingham was all too indicative of a team lacking real leadership and a ruthless cutting edge.

Yes, Gallas's reaction on that day was extreme but as one of the few Arsenal regulars to have won championships he clearly knows what it takes and just how high the stakes are. Clichy's single, careless mistake completely decimated their title challenge and their rhythm and momentum has been virtually non-existent since.

I think it was a penalty, there was enough contact to stop him going further and Toure didn't even have goal side.

Torres's goal was the goal of the night.

Arsenal wern't all over Liverpool in the 1st half, only the first 20 mins, when Liverpool scored it looked like they would get another before half time.

The only reason alot of people on these boards hate Liverpool is because of thier success.

Forgot to mention earlier, what a fantastic atmosphere last night! The Kop (and other areas) doing YNWA was awesome. I still think Celtic do it a lot better but yesterday Liverpool ran them close. A top drawer European night.

I have no gripe at all with Liverpool fans and on the whole I think they are very clued up on football matters. They don't come across to me as arrogant unlike a lot of United fans.

Real Madrid are pretty useless this season though.

But it all adds up to the fact that Pompey (£23m loss-well done lads), Villa, Rovers and Everton would be right in the CL mix in any league except the one they are playing in.

In fairness, if they had taken advantage of the penalty or one of the chances prior to MUFC' goal, the game would be different. But they're game centers around Totti, and as much as I like Vucinic as a striker, he doesn't build up play as well as Totti does. With Spalletti unable to see any frailties in his formation, and no real striker on the bench, they're just too lightweight against a really good defensive unit. They will be back next season though, probably with a new striker.. If they can pull it off financially.

And yes, they would be in the mix - but next season I think it will be different. Everton was played of the park by Fiorentina, who's far behind Roma and Inter in the league. Also, Juve and Milan will probably be stronger next year too.. Not denying the Premier League is currently the strongest (top four-wise) but there is a lot of good teams behind Inter and Roma.

I've watched the Liverpool penalty decision again and, for me, that is a penalty. It's a tough decision, but Toure does make contact and appears to knock Babbel off balance. Babbel did make the most of it but, as a defender, you just cannot come across a striker in the box and jump into his back. It was stupid from Toure as there were so many men back.

I don't think this was a harsh decision.

The Mancs will dispose of Barca as easily as they saw off Roma. Not good for the game but that's the way it will be.

And we will face a full strength Manc outfit at Ewood unlike the semi-reserve outfit that comfortably dealt with Roma tonight.

No, it's because some of their fans are arrogant.......... and there's no need for it. We are all football fans after all.

If one was to compile a mini-league of arrogant Premier League fans, Liverpool would be well down my list. Maybe it's because I have to spend so much time in London - but my arrogance league top 10 looks like this -

1. Tottenham Shitspurs

2. Chelsea

3. West Ham

4. Arsenal

5. Manchester United

6. Newcastle Untied

7. Birmingham City

8. Manchester City

9. Liverpool

10. Everton

The only reason alot of people on these boards hate Liverpool is because of thier success.

NO, this is the reason

I agree with you jim- it is also quite astonishing and disappointing how the restoration of the knock-out formula in the later stages of the CL as opposed to having more groups has not produced more games like Tuesday night's.

Ever the optimist but I suspect the two semi-finals this year might produce classics.

Grant and Rafa are desperate (self-survival) to reach the final just as much as Wenger and Rafa were so there will be an urge to go for it whilst the Barca defence is so iffy that Rijkard has no alternative but to attack the Mancs- they will get skinned, peeled and eaten if they try to play a cagey game against the Mancs.

Tris, your league table of arrogant fans is interesting. Liverpool are only where they are because of the number of genuine/nice/amusing scouse supporters but there is a large proportion of Liverpool fans who inhabit the Spuds world of arrogance. There are quite a few Wanderers who can be a right superior whatsit whilst an awful lot of Leeds fans will be having an existential crisis of arrogance and need prescribing at least one more season looking forwards to playing Hartlepool.

If one was to compile a mini-league of arrogant Premier League fans, Liverpool would be well down my list. Maybe it's because I have to spend so much time in London - but my arrogance league top 10 looks like this -

1. Tottenham Shitspurs

2. Chelsea

3. West Ham

4. Arsenal

5. Manchester United

6. Newcastle Untied

7. Birmingham City

8. Manchester City

9. Liverpool

10. Everton

To be fair, Tris, I was mainly after winding Roar up!

But, herbegeehh, Everton returned the compliment back at Goodison Park in taking it to penalties.

True, they played well. Fiorentina didn't have Mutu that night though, he's the Fiorentina equivalent of Totti these days.. Fantastic player! No excuse though, they were quite even over two games. Rovers, Villa, Pompey could have been fighting for CL position, but with Milan and Juve back next season - added to Inter, Roma and teams like Fiorentina and Sampdoria, it wouldn't be that much easier. It's a silly discussion anyway, the 4th place was there to be taken this season - no one did. Next season things might be different..

Archived