BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Smoking In The Riverside Loos At Halftime

OK the so the smoking ban has improved health but these rules imo, have killed this country.

what was the point of world wars to gain freedom my nan says.

the goverment have gone mad with power.

theres murderers, peodo's, rapists etc running the streets and they are more concerned about people having a fag!

Wales might be dead Presty, but England isnt. Or at least wasnt last time i checked.

And Freedom? Yes, to enjoy a pint without some inconsiderate swine trying to kill me. Im all for it.

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The reason people were smoking in the toilets was because smoking on the front concourse of the Riverside in the open air is also not allowed which isn't against the law as it is not an enclosed public space.

I saw it happen both in the toilets and on at the front of the stand. If some provision isn't given (e.g the front of the stand or a space outside) then I think the smokers may think twice about going to Ewood especially if it's on t.v.

It will be hard to stamp it out completely, whether smoke alarms are in the toilets or not, it seems pretty easy to have a crafty fag from where i'm standing. The stewards did however enter the toilets and shouted "no smoking in here please" which seemed to do the trick on that particular occasion.

OK the so the smoking ban has improved health but these rules imo, have killed this country.

what was the point of world wars to gain freedom my nan says.

the goverment have gone mad with power.

theres murderers, peodo's, rapists etc running the streets and they are more concerned about people having a fag!

It's the easy option, for collecting revenue through fines and crime detection.

However, even as a smoker I fully back the no smoking ban.

There has to be something lacking if someone cant last 90 min without a ciggie.

In the work environment unless the employer is stupid enough to allow ciggie breaks how do smokers last all morning or all afternoon.

Heck some smokers have to go from 8-30am until clocking off at 5pm.

The reason people were smoking in the toilets was because smoking on the front concourse of the Riverside in the open air is also not allowed which isn't against the law as it is not an enclosed public space.

I saw it happen both in the toilets and on at the front of the stand. If some provision isn't given (e.g the front of the stand or a space outside) then I think the smokers may think twice about going to Ewood especially if it's on t.v.

It will be hard to stamp it out completely, whether smoke alarms are in the toilets or not, it seems pretty easy to have a crafty fag from where i'm standing. The stewards did however enter the toilets and shouted "no smoking in here please" which seemed to do the trick on that particular occasion.

For me as a non-smoker,i think it`s a good idea as everybody gets what they want.Smokers get to smoke and non-smokers get to breathe :lol:

... What next... will people be told they can't drive cars because they are polluting the air that people breathe. Smoker or Non-Smoker most of us are guilty in other ways of violating peoples health. You could go on and on and on about this argument so I'd just agree to disagree.

... What next... will people be told they can't drive cars because they are polluting the air that people breathe. Smoker or Non-Smoker most of us are guilty in other ways of violating peoples health. You could go on and on and on about this argument so I'd just agree to disagree.

I think they should also ban driving cars in the Blackburn End, too...

:rover: why not open a smoking room,or let them out for a smoke at halftime :brfc:

That is a sensible suggestion Waggy. I am not, and never have been a smoker, but having been brought up by two parents who were both 60 a day addicts, I can understand that smokers would really feel the need to indulge their habit within a 2hr spell in a non-smoking environment. So, whether I, and those like me that have never had a fag in their entire lives, like it or not, I believe that a bit of understanding and goodwill could and should be applied, and a system of pass-outs could be introduced for those that feel the need. Surely the stewards could issue the pass-outs, and examine them for validity when re-admitting people.

I believe that a bit of understanding and goodwill could and should be applied, and a system of pass-outs could be introduced for those that feel the need. Surely the stewards could issue the pass-outs, and examine them for validity when re-admitting people.

Let 'em out before the end Fife?

There would have been no-one left at half time. :lol:

Most people arrive after 2 (for 3 pm kick off) and you're out of the ground by 5 so its only 3 hours they have to go without one of their precious cancer sticks. What a load of babies! Told off for smoking in the toilets?! Act like kids & get treated like kids.

3 facts:

1. there's a smoking ban and the majority of the public are happy with that. Its called democracy.

2. BRFC has decided to declare Ewood an entirely smoke-free zone, so the fact that the Riverside concourse is outdoors and not enclosed is irrelevant.

3. Within enclosed areas BRFC has a legal responsibility to enforce the ban, so no smoking in toilets or a sneaky 'in your palm' ciggie while no-one's looking.

Besides which, its a family environment unlike a pub or club in the evening, so why would smokers want to inflict their fumes on kids unless theyre just totally selfish & inconsiderate, which some of the posts on here do suggest.

If smoking means so much to you why not just emigrate & be a blight on the cancer wards of someone else's health service?

OK. Rant over! That comes after years of not being able to enjoy a pie & pint before the game or a cuppa at half time because the food concourse area in JW stand was so full of cigarette smoke it was like the doors opening in Stars in your Eyes.

Most people arrive after 2 (for 3 pm kick off) and you're out of the ground by 5 so its only 3 hours they have to go without one of their precious cancer sticks. What a load of babies! Told off for smoking in the toilets?! Act like kids & get treated like kids.

3 facts:

1. there's a smoking ban and the majority of the public are happy with that. Its called democracy. A democracy is where you ote, the only vote that took place was in the house of commons

2. BRFC has decided to declare Ewood an entirely smoke-free zone, so the fact that the Riverside concourse is outdoors and not enclosed is irrelevant. My point was that it is not against the law and obviously there is a problem with people smoking - whats wrong with a compromise in the way of you can smoke in a small outside area that wouldn't affect a non-smoker?

3. Within enclosed areas BRFC has a legal responsibility to enforce the ban, so no smoking in toilets or a sneaky 'in your palm' ciggie while no-one's looking. see above

Besides which, its a family environment unlike a pub or club in the evening, so why would smokers want to inflict their fumes on kids unless theyre just totally selfish & inconsiderate, which some of the posts on here do suggest. I agree smoke should not be near children, unfortunately the same view doesn't seem to be taken with constant foul and abusive language that goes on inside Ewood

If smoking means so much to you why not just emigrate & be a blight on the cancer wards of someone else's health service? I'm sure the high tax on cigarettes more than makes up for smoking related illnesses in the health service!

OK. Rant over! That comes after years of not being able to enjoy a pie & pint before the game or a cuppa at half time because the food concourse area in JW stand was so full of cigarette smoke it was like the doors opening in Stars in your Eyes.

In addition to the points above I would just like to add that I have no problem with a ban on smoking in places where it is going to affect/harm others, however by not allowing it full stop in outside areas or even letting you out of the stadium is going a bit too far. No matter how much people insult smokers they will still sneak one in if they are not acommodated in some small way.

Rant over also :P

Ben - re the front area of the Riverside - it is deemed as being part of the Riverside Stand - hence being substantially enclosed and therefore illegal to smoke in.

Its rather like Platforms 1 and 2 at Preston Railway Station. Also illegal to smoke on.

Ben - re the front area of the Riverside - it is deemed as being part of the Riverside Stand - hence being substantially enclosed and therefore illegal to smoke in.

Its rather like Platforms 1 and 2 at Preston Railway Station. Also illegal to smoke on.

If that's true then I hold my hands up - but I sit on row 4 and have never been covered! :lol::lol::lol: I get peed on every time it bloody rains!

As I say if thats the case, then it leaves the far corners near the gates or failing that outside the ground, I know they have a little outside area at Luton (even smaller that the ground itself :lol: ).

If that's true then I hold my hands up - but I sit on row 4 and have never been covered! :lol::lol::lol: I get peed on every time it bloody rains!

Its not about being covered - the law is fairly unspecific in that it must be "substantially enclosed" many places are working on a 50% basis for roofing and walls, hence this rather odd situation where many bus stops are non smoking.

Just what is the point of smoking? What does it do for you apart from ultimately kill you and why the hell do smokers spend so much money on the cancer sticks ?

For me smokers can go and take a running jump. if someone smokes near me I tell them to **** off if they dont I just tell them they can smoke and I will put up with their filthy habit but at the same time they must put up with mine which is to ###### in their gob !!!

On a more serious note, this government is shooting itself in the foot. They are banning smoking and nex to suffer an ill fated judgement will be the beer and alcohol. Do the idiots not realise that of everyone gave up smoking and drinking they would have to put income tax by 10p in the pound to balance the books ?

Its a crazy crazy country

As a non-smoker (just over a week now), I'm all for the smoking ban. I even thought this before I gave up, the pubs were much better smoke free.

But I think people should have the option to go outside for a cigarette if they want to. Freedom of choice. The only exception to this is on a plane where it isn't possible just to nip outside for one. It cant be too hard to have a controlled area outside each stand where people can have a quick smoke.

Nightclubs are managing it, pubs are managing it, restaurants are managing it, all because they dont want to lose trade. I wouldn't like to think any season ticket holders wouldn't renew because of this, but it may stop the other fans from being pursuaded to buy a ticket.

Archived