BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Smoking In The Riverside Loos At Halftime

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply
As a non-smoker (just over a week now), I'm all for the smoking ban. I even thought this before I gave up, the pubs were much better smoke free.

But I think people should have the option to go outside for a cigarette if they want to. Freedom of choice. The only exception to this is on a plane where it isn't possible just to nip outside for one. It cant be too hard to have a controlled area outside each stand where people can have a quick smoke.

Nightclubs are managing it, pubs are managing it, restaurants are managing it, all because they dont want to lose trade. I wouldn't like to think any season ticket holders wouldn't renew because of this, but it may stop the other fans from being pursuaded to buy a ticket.

Couldn't agree more.

Also on your last point, it wouldn't stop me buying a season ticket personally, but as you say it may stop other fans from buying a ticket and to be honest it probably will. A controlled area outside would erase this possibility and keep everybody happy.

That is a sensible suggestion Waggy. I am not, and never have been a smoker, but having been brought up by two parents who were both 60 a day addicts, I can understand that smokers would really feel the need to indulge their habit within a 2hr spell in a non-smoking environment. So, whether I, and those like me that have never had a fag in their entire lives, like it or not, I believe that a bit of understanding and goodwill could and should be applied, and a system of pass-outs could be introduced for those that feel the need. Surely the stewards could issue the pass-outs, and examine them for validity when re-admitting people.
Actually this pass-out system works here in Sydney without any real complaints so can't see why this wouldn't work there.

:rover: well on sunday we moved from our seats to seats near the darwen end,and the lad next to me supped 2 cans and smoked all the game,bet that would get the pc brigade going :brfc:

:lol: i bet he had a better time than most!

I managed to get through the dross thanks to Jack Daniels :tu:

Nightclubs are managing it, pubs are managing it, restaurants are managing it, all because they dont want to lose trade. I wouldn't like to think any season ticket holders wouldn't renew because of this, but it may stop the other fans from being pursuaded to buy a ticket.

Not managing all that very well though are they (people huddling around an entarnce blocking it dos not in my book constitute managing it) ... however it is only early doors.

Controlled area a possibility I suppose at a football ground but could it really be just one area -where would you put it - what about away fans / fans in opposite sides of the ground?

Another question is - where do you stop? If this happens then to me others should be able to leave to go to the pub or Mcdonalds etc for a drink or something to eat rather than have to battle it out at the Kiosks :rolleyes:

Would need to much control in my opinion

Why not please the smokers & cut costs at the same time??

At half time, you could give all the smokers a small pitch fork & let them have a smoke whilst walking around on the pitch replacing all the divots! :tu:

Sussed it!! :tu:

... What next... will people be told they can't drive cars because they are polluting the air that people breathe. Smoker or Non-Smoker most of us are guilty in other ways of violating peoples health. You could go on and on and on about this argument so I'd just agree to disagree.

Pollution levels from vehicles are measured and attempts made to reduce them. Very few places have dangerous levels. Smoking kills.

Pollution levels from vehicles are measured and attempts made to reduce them. Very few places have dangerous levels. Smoking kills.

.. There's always one :)

You don't complain when your breathing in my smoke ;)

.. like i said just agree to disagree.. but you know better than to disagree with me LOL

But just how dangerous is secondary smoking ?

I've never smoked a ciggy in my life but I simply don't accept this notion that passive smoking kills or even harms anyone .It's just nothing more than being slightly annoying when some ignorant bugger blows it your way - but that's a social problem more than a health problem . I suspect many people are taking in more propoganda from the health fascists than any smoke that might be out there .

You're also telling me that very few places have dangerous levels of fumes from cars ! ?

I think what you mean is that it's not been the policy of any government to highlight the problem of petrol and diesel fumes - it's too much of a toughy for them to solve .

Much easier to point the finger at smokers , bully them , and brainwash the gullible into thinking the nanny state is caring and knows best .

It'll be the Jews next . :blink:

Suppose you are one of those who thinks cannabis is harmless.......................... <_<

Actually, the government is doing something about emissions from cars under the guise of global warming. Well, they have to have some revenue to combat the loss of taxes on tobacco.......................

As far as I'm concerned, smoke from cigarettes affects me quite badly but I just rarely go to places where I am likely to have to inhale it. And it's a real pain when good friends are smokers......

Suppose you are one of those who thinks cannabis is harmless.......................... <_<

On the contrary - it is even more stupid and dangerous than cigarettes . I just think that secondary smoking (fags) is nowhere near as dangerous as it is suggested . Annoying , yes ...but not sufficient enough for the government to start throwing its weight around .

Archived