BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Smoking In The Riverside Loos At Halftime

What's the problem. Catch a few, ban them for life. Problem solved. Or fit a sprinkler sytem and watch the morons get wet.

Well banning people who are caught smoking would be a bit of a backwards step in the attendances issue! :rolleyes: It's not like Liverpool where they can afford to do so as another person is waiting to take the banned person's place!

Again, a smoking area outside would solve the problem, both smokers and non-smokers would be happy! and the stewards wouldn't have to be telling people to put their fags out every 2 seconds! it's just a question of a bit of compromise, not a "smoke and your banned Hitler attitude". Some fans would be banned and others wouldn't bother turning up. After all the hard work Rovers have done in getting more people through the turnstiles it would be a shame to spoil it now.

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest fernhurstblue
The Fans Forum has put the issue of smoking in toilets on the agenda for the next meeting on this Monday (8th). John Newsome will be coming along so we should haver a clear view from the club about what, if anything they are doing about the issue by Tuesday morning.

sorry to stray off the topic ..... any chance of the ff minutes being published on the website or e-mailed?

Again I have to emphsise that you , like Den , are taking for granted the government spin as to the extent of the danger of passive smoking . Only a fool would believe half of what they claim .

:lol:

All I've done is asked you twice, why passive smoking wouldn't be dangerous, seeing that first hand smoking most definately is.

Still waiting.

:lol:

All I've done is asked you twice, why passive smoking wouldn't be dangerous, seeing that first hand smoking most definately is.

Still waiting.

Answered it twice already , Den . Read my last two posts on the subject . This time slowly and concentrate .....

For some reason you seem to be incapable of digesting my posts - and unfortunately I seem to be incapable of putting it into simpler terms for you to understand .

We have a dilemma I'm afraid .

sorry to stray off the topic ..... any chance of the ff minutes being published on the website or e-mailed?

You can see them on the club site, usually a couple of weeks after the Forum - they're on the Fans' Forum page, under the Fans tab.

In addition there are a number of Fans' Forum members on here, including me. I actually write the minutes so you can always ask if you have a query on anything, either by a pm or a thread.

Answered it twice already , Den . Read my last two posts on the subject . This time slowly and concentrate .....

For some reason you seem to be incapable of digesting my posts - and unfortunately I seem to be incapable of putting it into simpler terms for you to understand .

We have a dilemma I'm afraid .

You've come out with a statement Phil, that you can't justify. You argue that passive smoking is harmless, but can't back it up.

Then we get the usual inflamatory comments. Nothing changes.

Again I have to emphsise that you , like Den , are taking for granted the government spin as to the extent of the danger of passive smoking . Only a fool would believe half of what they claim .

And with that statement what little credibility you have went out of the window .

Only a fool would claim that smoking does not cause cancer.

So please, carry on puffing and bring a premature end to your miserable existence on this planet :lol::lol:

The Fans Forum has put the issue of smoking in toilets on the agenda for the next meeting on this Monday (8th). John Newsome will be coming along so we should haver a clear view from the club about what, if anything they are doing about the issue by Tuesday morning.

The issue of smoking was raised last night at the Fans' Forum. The club are keen to stop smoking in the stadium but recognise that it's not going to happen completely overnight. They do not intend to take a hard line at this stage as some other clubs have done but they will do for anyone who is a persistent offender.

Around 20 stewards are monitoring toilets in rotation at each game but they do not have enough staff to put a steward in every toilet at every game. Names are being taken by these stewards.

There is no space to create an outdoor smoking area - the law applies to all enclosed or substantially enclosed areas so the whole of the inside of the stadium is covered. It is also not possible to allow people to go out of the stadium at half-time and then re-enter - this would contravene the club's safety licence.

The club feels that the problem is getting less at each game but they will be continuing to monitor the situation. As I said above, anyone found to be consistently smoking will be banned but the club would prefer to deal with the issue without resorting to bans.

There is no space to create an outdoor smoking area - the law applies to all enclosed or substantially enclosed areas so the whole of the inside of the stadium is covered. It is also not possible to allow people to go out of the stadium at half-time and then re-enter - this would contravene the club's safety licence.

That wasn't quite my understanding of what John Newsham said. I understood him to say that an outside smoking area was not a possibility because:

a) There is no provision for re-entry to the stadium on the existing card system.

B ) He said it was not logisticcally possible to get that many people out of and in to the stadium again over the HT period.

That wasn't quite my understanding of what John Newsham said. I understood him to say that an outside smoking area was not a possibility because:

a) There is no provision for re-entry to the stadium on the existing card system.

B ) He said it was not logisticcally possible to get that many people out of and in to the stadium again over the HT period.

You're right in that there were also problems with the card system and with the volume of people who would do it if they could but he did also say it would contravene the safety licence, which I guess is the real problem. Any way, for all these reasons, it isn't going to happen.

Only a fool would claim that smoking does not cause cancer.

So please, carry on puffing and bring a premature end to your miserable existence on this planet :lol::lol:

Very true , jim - only a fool would claim that smoking does not cause cancer . That's why I never have made that claim .

Oh ...and I don't smoke . Never have done .

Besides that - good post . :)

I can't let this rubbish go unchallenged.

I didn't used to go in pubs because of smokers. That was my choice but as far as I was concerned I was being denied the opportunity because of those who were putting my health at risk and making what should be a pleasant social occasion deeply unpleasant.

It's nowt to do with nanny state. It's about what is in the interests of the majority over the minority and at the same time improving the health of and therefore the cost to the nation. It's what our American colonial cousins call a no-brainer. Those with half a brain would realise it.

Yeah is that right ? well having smoking pubs(owned by smokers, staffed by smokers, patronised by smokers) would have been the answer, but that would have been a no brainer right? (just for tin pot nazi's like you and the rest of this a***hole country that enjoy dictating to others...... but only as long as they aint affected!)....and you accuse others of having only half a brain! :wstu:

23 Days to Cyprus and I can escape this S**t hole for Good!

I live in Ireland and I smoke, and I worked in nightclubs and it's waaaay nicer to work without the smoke. There was also a marked improvement in the number of cases of coughing, etc. that all of us experienced. I reckon that most Irish people, including smokers, wouldn't go back. The smoking areas are often nicer than the inside, too. The only people who don't like it are bar owners - people tend not to spend as much time in bars and even though the price of drink might be responsible (it's very expensive here because of taxes) it's easy to blame the smoking ban.

Smoking pubs aren't the answer because of employment law, it would be positive discrimination for smokers (although sometimes I think we need it!) I was frankly surprised it took your government so long to bring it in! I was in Japan recently and smoking's allowed in most places, but at this point I found I prefer going outside to smoke. Enjoy Cyprus, anyway, I hear it's a great spot. You'll probably get to see more of the Rovers than I do :)

Edit: bad English, fixed (I think)

I live in Ireland and I smoke, and I worked in nightclubs and it's waaaay nicer to work without the smoke. There was also a marked improvement in the number of cases of coughing, etc. that all of us experienced. I reckon that most Irish people, including smokers, wouldn't go back. The smoking areas are often nicer than the inside, too. The only people who don't like it are bar owners - people tend not to spend as much time in bars and even though the price of drink might be responsible (it's very expensive here because of taxes) it's easy to blame the smoking ban.

Smoking pubs aren't the answer because of employment law, it would be positive discrimination for smokers (although sometimes I think we need it!) I was frankly surprised it took your government so long to bring it in! I was in Japan recently and smoking's allowed in most places, but at this point I found I prefer going outside to smoke. Enjoy Cyprus, anyway, I hear it's a great spot. You'll probably get to see more of the Rovers than I do :)

Edit: bad English, fixed (I think)

Thanks for the good wishes Darren.

*peeps out from behind sofa*

All the best for your new life, om. Hope it all turns out as you wish and keep us posted!

The thought of all that sunshine ......................... B)

Sorry Mum(I tried not to get involved in this thread but, well.........)

Sorry for coming across all stroppy and thanks for your good wishes!

Archived