BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Samba

I know we need Big Chris at the back at the moment but I would love to see Samba play midfield. I think he would be awesome.

He obviously has the ability to run with the ball, can pick out a man with a pass and is one of the best tacklers in the Prem.

Next Viera maybe ??

I know we need Big Chris at the back at the moment but I would love to see Samba play midfield. I think he would be awesome.

He obviously has the ability to run with the ball, can pick out a man with a pass and is one of the best tacklers in the Prem.

Next Viera maybe ??

Towards the end of the 2nd half yesterday, I think samba thought he was a midfielder. LOL

I see where you are comming from , but i wonder if Samba has a big enough engine to keep up "Viera" style.

Towards the end of the 2nd half yesterday, I think samba thought he was a midfielder. LOL

I see where you are comming from , but i wonder if Samba has a big enough engine to keep up "Viera" style.

Hmmmm! It's a nice thought, but I think he is much more useful at the back, and has virtually made himself irreplacable in that role for now.

Mokoena can play in midfield, of course Samba can! For defensive midfield, a lot of the skills of a central defender are obviously transferable, which is why so many can play in both positions - eg. Faye, Gilberto, Jagielka. I'm sure Samba could do a good job in the middle of the park but imo he's needed further back.

Mokoena can play in midfield, of course Samba can! For defensive midfield, a lot of the skills of a central defender are obviously transferable, which is why so many can play in both positions - eg. Faye, Gilberto, Jagielka. I'm sure Samba could do a good job in the middle of the park but imo he's needed further back.

Very good point. Plus, if you move a good defender up in midifield, maybe his skill can be used to break off the opposition's attacks faster? Cause you'd benefit from better tackles and man marking etc.

The reason why he's great in defence is because that's his natural position. He isn't a midfielder and he doesn't have the ability to become a great midfielder.

Let's keep things basic and let's keep him in his correct position.

Rio Ferdinand has the attributes to be a midfielder - strength, great on the ball, good passer, lots of pace and stamina...but there is a reason why Ferguson hasn't played him in midfield....because he's a defender and would be a weaker option in midfield.

The reason why he's great in defence is because that's his natural position. He isn't a midfielder and he doesn't have the ability to become a great midfielder.

Let's keep things basic and let's keep him in his correct position.

Rio Ferdinand has the attributes to be a midfielder - strength, great on the ball, good passer, lots of pace and stamina...but there is a reason why Ferguson hasn't played him in midfield....because he's a defender and would be a weaker option in midfield.

I seem to remember that Rio played midfield when we beat them 4-3 - and had a nightmare!

Personally I think Samba`s height, strength and pace get him out of trouble as I believe his positional play / reactions / passing / ball control / first touch are average at the best and would be exploited in midfield.

Don't think so. There aren't many examples of centre-halfs moving into midfield and being any good. He doesn't have the ability to pass the ball well enough to play there for a start. Great centre-half though. Under our previous manager I'm sure he would have had a shot there already though.

Blimey, he's looking like one of the best centre halves we ever had and you want to move him to midfield.

He ain't broke, don't fix him.

He's doing a great job just where he is. Leave him alone. He frightens me and I'm on his side, Lord knows what the opposition strikers think. Probably soiling their grundies.

Let him be I say, let him be!

What have you been sniffing!? He cant pass or his ball control/ first touch is poor? Dont think you are talking about Samba here mate! The guy is class, and if we dont have Nelsen then I would make him captain!

Personally I think Samba`s height, strength and pace get him out of trouble as I believe his positional play / reactions / passing / ball control / first touch are average at the best and would be exploited in midfield.

If I'd seen this a few days ago, I'd have dismissed it as just an interesting thought. But after tonight's Carling Cup game with Birmingham I can see it as a real possibility. He's much more confident on the ball than Mokoena is, and he made some bloody good runs and passes, all going forward too (unlike the Axe).

If we weren't so stuck for truly decent central defenders (Ooijer is good but losing pace, Zurab is haphazard and I think Henchoz will have a heartattack before long), it'd be interesting to see what he'd do.

Can't shoot for toffee, mind.

I have to admit I underestimated Samba. I thought he would play second fiddle to Ooijer and Nelsen at centre back.

Now, however, he is without doubt our most player important player right now. He is a collosus. I would hate to play against him.

My only worry is people outside Rovers will soon notice he is potentially the best CB in the league. It is very rare to have somebody so big yet so comfortable on the ball. He doesn't look awkward on the ball. I sometimes think he lacks a tiuny bit of concentration - but so does every defender.

Move him to midfield - no way. He does enough in midfield from centre back. He knows when to come forward.

Great game from the big man last night.

Switch him to midfield? Why? There's a huge difference between playing at the back and stepping into midfield, when appropriate, than there is actually playing midfield itself. Leave him where he is excelling. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Similarly, why do people think he will make a good captain? He's looking like a cracking player, but the criteria for a captain is different to that of a cracking player. Again, if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

The lads only been in England for a few months. I don't even know if he speaks English! Also, he's only a young lad, I think?

Leave him alone to develop as he is!

• 2 weeks later...

engine no.....to much football manageresque twiddling thoughts me thinks.....if anyone noticed how he was gulping the air after his "run" before h/t would be the answer to the engine question.

If he moved to midfield we would be lumping high balls all the time a la john beck

engine no.....to much football manageresque twiddling thoughts me thinks.....if anyone noticed how he was gulping the air after his "run" before h/t would be the answer to the engine question.

If he moved to midfield we would be lumping high balls all the time a la john beck

Wasn't Chris ill, could that explain the gulping for air?

I think he's probably our fittest, most athletic and most outstanding performer week in week out. I've only seen him have one bad game (against Huddersfield and that doesn't count). He is quickly becoming a Rovers legend. I cannot get over what Samba has achieved in such a short amount of time playing in England, what a buy!

Wasn't Chris ill, could that explain the gulping for air?

I think he's probably our fittest, most athletic and most outstanding performer week in week out. I've only seen him have one bad game (against Huddersfield and that doesn't count). He is quickly becoming a Rovers legend. I cannot get over what Samba has achieved in such a short amount of time playing in England, what a buy!

I think the "Samba case" show just how difficult it is for non-glamorus clubs to get good press for the club and its players. If Samba had been playing for any of the big clubs or Spurs he would have been portrayed as one of the best defendersi in the PL.

Archived