BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Brum Preview

den

Hope there's not too many changes. I remember the dead rubber in the UEFA cup when a reserve side were fielded, played crap, and everyone denounced the fringe players as 'rubbish'. It's hard for a fringe player to impress when the team dynamic is destabilised by wholesale changes.

Also, can I just remind people (you know who you are) that, as far as I can remember, we hardly ever got giant-killed in the domestic cups under Graeme Souness. For all the deserved criticism he gets for the UEFA cup debacle, I for one, have to accept in the domestic cups, we were usually pretty consistent.

• Replies 239
  • Created
  • Last Reply
:rover: come on lads the carling cup is about winnable to the rovers as the premier,look at liverpoo last night,play torres in the cup and bench him for the league.with the squad we have this is one competition to far.i know hughes will play his best team he always does,but if we suffer a injury to bentley/samba/friedal do not complian.i have never said play a weakened team in the premier,as on our day we can beat anyone,but this is a comp to far. :brfc:

So just what are we supposed to try and win? Champions League qualifiaction is out of reach, the big four are too strong for us in the Carling Cup, we can't win the PL, presumably the top four are also too strong in the FA Cup. The only competition you haven't dissed our chances in is the UEFA Cup. Now qualifying for the UEFA cup is a lottery and we don't get to see any decent teams when we do qualify so why bother with that?

If I thought we have no ambition to try and win the Carling or FA cups you can let the unemployed have my seats for free because I won't be going. Talk some sense these are competitions we CAN win when all the other possibilities really are outside our grasp. If we end up with a decent semi or a final this year I shall be more than happy.

Have we all forgotten how much our UEFA cup season lies on a knife edge and there is a strong possibility that we will not be able to turn round the deficit.We therefore need to take the Carling cup some respect and field a decent side as otherwise we stand to go out of two cups in the space of a week, with only the FA cup left !

I hope we field a very strong team.

Changes Id make however just to test it, and which i think wont effect our team to badly. Id give that young lad Olsen a game at left back, Righters on the the right, bentley on the left (Unless Peter is fit?) and Id drop McCarthy for Derbyshire.

:rover: happen sparky thinks the same as me tonight :brfc:

Hughes says nothing that coincides with your view that we should roll over and get our tummy's tickled. He says hell send out a team capable of winning, for my money that means 2-3 changes and those who are rested will be on the bench just in case. You want to lose, the rest of us want to win including Hughes and the board. Can you imagine the board meeting:

Hughesy "Don't fancy the cup much this year John, think we'll chuck it in the 3rd round"

JW "Great idea Mark, with you all the way. It will save on the win bonuses and the new scarves for Wembley"

winning the league cup is also a route into europe, it has to be respected.

Respected but not overestimated. If you push hard then get knocked out in semifinals...not that much of a thrill. But then again, you can never predict where the big bump in the road will show up.

However, I think we've proven in recent weeks (the 15 matches before Larissa), that Rovers are a team tht goes in with a shout to win each and every match it plays. This side is built to be able to win cups, really... great keeper who keeps us in just abotu every game with a solid central defense, decent enough defenders on the wings, who each offer attack support, a striker in Benni who can create a goal from no-where, decent freekicks (if MGP get his foot out of wherever he stuck it), and a midfield designed to give up no space.

And so say that reaching a semi is "not a thrill"...... :blink: where were you last season vs. Chelsea?

A first start for Olsson, and three ex-Rovers in the Brum lineup.

ROVERS: Friedel, Emerton, Ooijer, Samba, Olsson, Bentley, Mokoena, Tugay, Dunn, Derbyshire, Roberts. Subs: Brown, Warnock, Santa Cruz, Khizanishvili, Rigters.

BRUM: BIRMINGHAM: Kingson, Sadler, Vine, O'Connor, Taylor, Johnson, Danns, Jaidi, Forssell, De Ridder, Parnaby. Subs: Doyle, Schmitz, Palacios, Pearce, Howland

Archived