BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Supermarket Parking

I welcome the news that Asda is to fine shoppers £60 for parking in the disabled spaces as the number of people parking on such spaces at supermarkets, retail outlets, sports centres etc appears to be increasing rapidly. I accept that living in such a 'multi-cultural' town as Blackburn that I probably have a disproportionate view on this issue and that such thoughtless and selfish parking may not be the case in most other English towns, but it does my head in to see fit and agile young people behaving with such ignorance and disregard for people in the community worse off than themselves.

On the other side of the coin though such a move might make the berks who dreamt up the %age of spaces allocated to invalids and mothers and children (sexist?) think again. God only knows how they conducted their research but there are either way too many spaces on most car parks dedicated to invalids or way too few invalids in the country. The numbers are way wrong somewhere...... unless there are secret moves in the pipeline requiring all invalids to shop at once.

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I accept that living in such a 'multi-cultural' town as Blackburn that I probably have a disproportionate view on this issue but it does my head in to see fit and agile young people behaving with such ignorance and disregard for people in the community worse off than themselves.
Nope just a myopic one - if you took off your blinkers you'ld notice that every creed and colour have selfish idiotic people who think that parking in a disabled bay or on the hatching around disabled bays is acceptable, because "they're only popping in for a minute". The hatching around disable bays are there to allow people with mobility issues or need to get a wheelchair to the door/boot need the room to get the doors open fully.

On the other side of the coin though such a move might make the berks who dreamt up the %age of spaces allocated to invalids and mothers and children (sexist?) think again. God only knows how they conducted their research but there are either way too many spaces on most car parks dedicated to invalids or way too few invalids in the country. The numbers are way wrong somewhere...... unless there are secret moves in the pipeline requiring all invalids to shop at once.

As far as I know the rules suggest that a development should provide disabled bays up to 5% of the number of normal bays. (as additional spaces). Whether thats too many I dont know, but its partially to ensure that a likely peak demand can be met.

As far as I can see there are no legal requirements for mother and child spaces (you're right it should be parent and child) and I'm interested in seeing whether they are legally enforceable. Although as it is a "private" car park then they can probably do what they want as long as its stated clearly all around the car park

. Although as it is a "private" car park then they can probably do what they want as long as its stated clearly all around the car park

I thought I had read in the last couple of years that car parks are no longer private and that as far as accidents are concerned, they are regarded as highways.

Be intersting to take video of ignorant people parking in disabled bays and directly infron of entrances ( double yellow lines ), at placed like TESCO and Sainsburys, then complain to the store security / manager, they will do NOTHING. Then send to tape to ASDA.

Ihave complained more than 5 times to security/staff at tesco blackburn about able boddied people parking in disabled bays. Ive been ignored completely, or dismissed EVERY TIME.

Nope just a myopic one - if you took off your blinkers you'ld notice that every creed and colour have selfish idiotic people who think that parking in a disabled bay or on the hatching around disabled bays is acceptable, because "they're only popping in for a minute".

Sorry but from my observations it's disproportionate and if you think otherwise then you are the one with the tunnel vision.

3rd Pillar, that's because all the managers are pricks, every, single, last one of them. That's not just at Tesco Blackburn either, it includes Burnley (the one i'm currently working at.)

They do nothing because they are bitter about life.

3rd pillar said that he had complained to security / staff and NOT to the manager (he only recommended that as a course of action). It's possible that you are calling the wrong people 'pricks'...... unless you are suggesting that the ultimate blame does lie with the management for employing 'pricks' in the first place.

Sorry but from my observations it's disproportionate and if you think otherwise then you are the one with the tunnel vision.

Hardly tunnel vision from seeing around that hotbed of only white protestantism that is Wolverhampton and Birmingham. But dont let that get in teh way. You want to see asian people being in the wrong, therefore you'll see more of them. I dont care what colour they are, they're all arses.

As I said earlier, all creeds, colours, religions and football supporters have idiots that think they are special and the rules dont apply to them.

Thenodrog..."but there are either way too many spaces on most car parks dedicated to invalids or way too few invalids in the country."

Whilst at Ewood Park one day, my mate asked me if i`d noticed the amount of people with funny walks, limps & oddities about them. Ewood`s bl00dy full of `em on a match day!! :blink:

Your average Supermarket car park is not "public highway" so the rules of the "Traffic Signs Regulation & General Directrions 2002 " do not apply.

It's a private parking space, so ASDA or Tesco can do what they like. Those "parent & child" spaces have no legal backing, neither have those disabled spaces which have the "wheelchair"symbol on them. Similarly double yellow lines in supermarket parking places have no legal backing unless ASDA or Tesco have dedicated their car parks as public highway. Which is highly unlikely.

I'm not at sure if any of those signs & lines have any legality.

Get back to mne if you want more info.

Here's one for you Colin. I dont know the answer.

Craven District Council car parks are not addopted by the highways department. CDC have to maintain the car parks and the access roads thereto.

They are thus private car parks owned by the ratepayers of Craven, yet you can be fined for parking in the wrong bays or on the double lines. Failure to pay will result in legal proceedings.

In Skipton, there are two sets of parking wardens. Those employed by CDC for CDC carparks and police wardens for the roads and streets.

The numbers are way wrong somewhere...... unless there are secret moves in the pipeline requiring all invalids to shop at once.

It's likely you hold this view because, I presume, you don't have a blue badge and are perhaps more likely to notice empty disabled bays if frustrated in your attempts to find a standard space. We have a blue badge for our son and I can assure you the general provision for disabled bays is inadequate. As blue badge users we can park pretty much anywhere we like which is fortunate as it is often difficult to find a disabled bay during busy periods. A trip to Tesco Chorley or Sainsbury Preston is more likely to result in using a standard space than a disabled bay or one of those parent and child things.

As for the culprits? Well I'm not sure it has anything to do with multi-cultrualism (nice try though ;) ) as I have observed, on many occassions, the worst offenders to be: drivers of large, expensive cars, young women with children, people using sports centres. Usually these people are white. The worst places I know for offenders are All Seasons Leisure Centre and Next Generation Gym - both rammed with fit healthy, people. If you challenge them, which I frequently do, the usual response is on the lines of "It's too far to walk from the other end of the car park!!"

Oer the years I've developed an interesting parking technique which can make it impossible for offenders to move their cars until we return to ours. On the odd occassion I've used it the results are very satisfying.

Oer the years I've developed an interesting parking technique which can make it impossible for offenders to move their cars until we return to ours. On the odd occassion I've used it the results are very satisfying.

Very naughty letting people's tyres down.

3rd Pillar, that's because all the managers are pricks, every, single, last one of them. That's not just at Tesco Blackburn either, it includes Burnley (the one i'm currently working at.)

They do nothing because they are bitter about life.

No need for that tosser.

I agree with Thenodrog in a way in that there are probably too many spaces allocated for disabled/parenting. You rarely see them full. The supermarket chain I work for actively encourages its staff to park in the disabled spaces but then again as Travylad says, I'm a prick and maybe I'm just bitter. :rolleyes:

Here's one for you Colin. I dont know the answer.

Craven District Council car parks are not addopted by the highways department. CDC have to maintain the car parks and the access roads thereto.

They are thus private car parks owned by the ratepayers of Craven, yet you can be fined for parking in the wrong bays or on the double lines. Failure to pay will result in legal proceedings.

In Skipton, there are two sets of parking wardens. Those employed by CDC for CDC carparks and police wardens for the roads and streets.

Alan,

The public highways in Skipton will have a parking system which will be backed by highway law and monitored by one set of wardens. The signs and lines will have to comply with traffic signs legislation. The responsibility for all this will be North Yorkshire County Council as the highway authority.

The car parks can be owned by anyone, but there will be conditions that you agree to when you use them, and also agree to face the fine if you don't comply. However the car bay spaces don't have to comply with traffic signs regulations (which is why they are often so small) and the double yellow lines have no legal standing as they are not on public highway.

So you probably have a condition of entry which says you must park in a marked bay or pay a £50 fine. If you park on a double yellow then it's because you're not in a marked bay.

It's likely you hold this view because, I presume, you don't have a blue badge and are perhaps more likely to notice empty disabled bays if frustrated in your attempts to find a standard space. We have a blue badge for our son and I can assure you the general provision for disabled bays is inadequate. As blue badge users we can park pretty much anywhere we like which is fortunate as it is often difficult to find a disabled bay during busy periods. A trip to Tesco Chorley or Sainsbury Preston is more likely to result in using a standard space than a disabled bay or one of those parent and child things.

As for the culprits? Well I'm not sure it has anything to do with multi-cultrualism (nice try though ;) ) as I have observed, on many occassions, the worst offenders to be: drivers of large, expensive cars, young women with children, people using sports centres. Usually these people are white. The worst places I know for offenders are All Seasons Leisure Centre and Next Generation Gym - both rammed with fit healthy, people. If you challenge them, which I frequently do, the usual response is on the lines of "It's too far to walk from the other end of the car park!!"

It is my opinion but I'm not bigging it up Paul. I've noticed this frequently at Asda Blackburn, JJB, the retail parks at Grimshaw Park and the local Somerfield and I'm telling you there are usually plenty of disabled and Mum and Child places available (i.e. too many) AND there is an increasing tendency for certain people to disregard the sentiment.

I can understand the disabled getting decent parking places but why women with kids ? Can't the little buggers walk these days ? Or have the prams become too cumbersome for women to push more than a few feet ?

Surely the elderly should get priority over women and brats . Mind you they shouldn't be on the road to begin with ......

On Theno's multi cultural point even I struggle to find a link here :blink:

Although I will believe in racial equality in Blackburn when I see traffic wardens in Bastwell and Little Harwood etc ..... :ph34r:

The amount of people parking in disabled and parent and child spaces, and the general ignorance of people who can't see why they need the extra space is indicative of the breakdown of respect in society in general.

It is quite simple. Disabled badge holders get the closest spaces, not just for extra space for access issues, but (as in the case of my mother) the need for swift access to the store and facilities. Parent and child spaces need to be reasonably close to the entrance/exit as it is unsafe to have kids/prams at the mercy of the idiotic driving that goes on in car parks. The extra space is required because it is damn difficult getting a child in or out of the car, never mind the pram and the shopping.

Accrington ASDA is the worst place I have ever experienced for disabled and P&C parking. For one thing every sod in Accy parks there, and even if they didn't they are pointless as the P&C spaces give no extra space whatsoever. On several occasionsI have parked there and come back to the car to find some numb @#/? has parked inches from the side I put Jack in.

Is it too difficult a task to park in a space that is designated for you?

On another note, I find disabled people are as guilty as the next person for parking in the P&C spaces. For the record I have NEVER parked in a bay if I was not entitled.

Funny that Theno should mention the JJB.

I play 5 a side regularly at the one near the Trafford Centre. If you exclude the staff I think it's fair to say that 99% of cars in the car park have been driven there by people who are about to run around for an hour playing football or go to the gym.

Despite this, the competition to see who can park closest to the entrance is immense.

Strange.

Funny that Theno should mention the JJB.

I play 5 a side regularly at the one near the Trafford Centre. If you exclude the staff I think it's fair to say that 99% of cars in the car park have been driven there by people who are about to run around for an hour playing football or go to the gym.

Despite this, the competition to see who can park closest to the entrance is immense.

Strange.

they go one better at blackburn and park on the pavement outside the doors and the drop off points

mind you this usually only applies to gypo`s and asians in high powered cars

Archived