BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] A Quick (non-political Question) To Anyone Who Works In He/universities

Im doing some work at the moment regarding Israel at the moment, and I would like to hear from anyone that works or has knowledge of higher education in regards, of the banning of Israeli teaching staff. Im not after a debate just some info, why? , when? Has the ban been overturned, how does it work etc as im really struggling to find on any current information.

Im doing some work at the moment regarding Israel at the moment, and I would like to hear from anyone that works or has knowledge of higher education in regards, of the banning of Israeli teaching staff. Im not after a debate just some info, why? , when? Has the ban been overturned, how does it work etc as im really struggling to find on any current information.

As an external examiner I'd send this back as a badly worded and ambiguous question.

As a researcher, your choice of a football massage board is wierd to say the least.

As a researcher your abilities to use the most basic search engine have to be questioned.

Here you go: http://www.ynetnews.com/articles/0,7340,L-3076464,00.html

As an external examiner I'd send this back as a badly worded and ambiguous question.

As a researcher, your choice of a football massage board is wierd to say the least.

As a researcher your abilities to use the most basic search engine have to be questioned.

Here you go: http://www.ynetnews.com/articles/0,7340,L-3076464,00.html

Pip , can you please keep your mouth shut if you don’t have anything useful to state. It is not a research question, nor or you an external examiner. I also know that several of our members work in HE, that’s why I have asked the question.

Again you have spouted your mouth off and your source has absolutely nothing to do with the question I originally asked. Only someone in one of the HE unions can answer my question, this is the reason for asking. I have scoured the internet and their is little in the way of information, that I require asap.

I have asked a reasonable question, yet you feel the need to try and points score, do I threaten you so much, that you feel the need to pick apart my posts.

As far as I can remember (Im sure the wiki or google will be better) Was that the university in question decided that it wasnt going to employ any lecturers from Israel in a sign of solidarity with Lebanon getting flattened.

Its nothing to do with whether they were Jewish or not, but more the country they are from. Believe it or not, being an Israeli doesnt mean your Jewish, or if you are, you dont have to be a fundamentalist god botherer.

As far as I can remember (Im sure the wiki or google will be better) Was that the university in question decided that it wasnt going to employ any lecturers from Israel in a sign of solidarity with Lebanon getting flattened.

Its nothing to do with whether they were Jewish or not, but more the country they are from. Believe it or not, being an Israeli doesnt mean your Jewish, or if you are, you dont have to be a fundamentalist god botherer.

It seems that I have not explained myself very well- I am referring to ballot action taken to ban all Israeli staff from teaching in HE, not a few select Uni’s , I need this information for some work that I am doing.

Flopsy- I wasn’t asking for you to explain to me about Zionism, or the difference between a Jew or a citizen of Israel ( I know that nearly 1 in 5 Israeli citizens are non-Jews). Im just asking for information from anyone that knows about this ban & has it been reversed etc. I have asked on another board I have visited and im awaiting a response. I asked the question as there a few members of this board who might be able to fill me in with info I needs, its not a trick question , or a points scoring exercise, just someone asking for some information . I can’t see what all the fuss is about. There have been dozens of times people have asked for information regarding non-football related pieces of work that they are writing.

They'll be a national University conference/group/organisation.

I'll have an ask round a couple of people I know who work at uni's but it'll be a couple of days.

Why not ring a few uni's, ask for their HR department and then ask them whether they're hiring people from Israel?

They'll be a national University conference/group/organisation.

I'll have an ask round a couple of people I know who work at uni's but it'll be a couple of days.

Why not ring a few uni's, ask for their HR department and then ask them whether they're hiring people from Israel?

Tnx for the offer, but the reason why I asked, is that I need the info for tomorrow (hand in date), ive kina left it late.

Im looking through some of the HE union WebPages, to try and find some more info

Flopsy its not one individual Uni/College im refering too, its a nationwide ban through a ballot of 10,000's of members

If you are talking about the UCU boycott - youd better not use that line!!!

It was carried through at conference.

Certain sessions at conference you could get anything carried through.

This is the correspondence from Sally Hunt (General Secretary of UCU)

Dear colleague,

IMPORTANT INFORMATION - UCU and the circulation and debate of a call to boycott Israeli academic institutions

I am writing to let you know what UCU intends to do about the motion passed by our recent Congress requiring the union to circulate and debate a call to boycott Israeli academic institutions. Apologies if you have already received this letter by other means - I wanted to make sure everyone knew what the union was doing about this important issue.

The motion in question was considered by the strategy and finance sub-committee of the UCU executive on Friday 29 June and they agreed a number of recommendations made by me about the conduct of this debate, including that:

1. I should ensure a fair and even-handed debate; including the provision that any union expenditure to support one side in the debate shall also be offered to the other.

2. I organise a series of regional debates in the autumn term including London, Glasgow, Cardiff, Belfast, Birmingham, Manchester and a location to be chosen in the South West, with the aim of concluding in time to report to a November 2007 meeting of the Executive Committee.

3. I should ensure legitimate representatives of organisations from both Israel and Palestine and on both sides of the debate are available to speak at the regional meetings.

4. I should issue guidance on holding fair and even-handed debates to branches and associations who wish to hold local debates in addition to the regional meetings.

5. The union creates a separate expenditure heading to facilitate the execution of the boycott resolution and that increases in this expenditure beyond that already identified can only be agreed by the Strategy and Finance Committee.

6. The union encourages branches to seek members' views directly and in addition makes it as easy as possible for members both to participate in the debates and to make their individual views known to the executive.

I hope, whatever your personal views on this matter, you will agree these measures are a sensible basis for the carrying out of the motion passed by Congress.

Many members have also contacted me in my capacity as general secretary to ask what my view on this issue is. In addition to being UCU general secretary, I am also the TUC's spokesperson on international matters and I am very aware of the need to support fellow educators and trade unionists around the world.

I do believe our union has a vital role in supporting colleagues at risk and promoting education as the bedrock of democratic civil society in Colombia, in Zimbabwe, in Israel/Palestine and anywhere where these values are under threat.

It is to state the obvious that UCU has a great deal of work to do here and overseas, besides debating the rights and wrongs of an international boycott. I have been saddened but not surprised, for example, that media coverage of the boycott issue has overshadowed very important campaigns to save jobs at Harlow College and elsewhere and struggles against unacceptable contract changes as at Bournemouth University and beyond. The boycott issue has also, unfortunately, overshadowed UCU's emerging work to link up Palestinian and Israeli academics and trade unionists.

Let me be as clear as I can. I do understand the strongly held views on both sides, but I do not believe that the majority of members - whatever their personal views - see this issue as the major priority for our union. I have also many times set out my personal view that members should be balloted before any implementation of an international boycott. I remain of that view and expressed it once again to the Strategy and Finance Committee.

Whatever side of the debate, if any, you are on personally, I hope you will support me in ensuring the debate is respectful and inclusive. It is your union, and in the end only you can decide.

I have today also written to branch secretaries and local association presidents setting out advice on ensuring a fair debate and on making sure that individual members have their say. I know they will also do their best to ensure that branches remain united and focused upon our priorities during this period. You can view the circular we have issued to branches here:

http://www.ucu.org.uk/circ/html/ucu31.html or

http://www.ucu.org.uk/circ/rtf/ucu31.rtf

I give you my personal assurance that I will ensure as far as I can that the union continues to focus on supporting you at work and on constructive engagement with the wider world while we resolve what everyone recognises as the hugely divisive issue of boycott.

I will write again at the beginning of the autumn term. Thank you for your continued support for the union.

Sally

If you are talking about the UCU boycott - youd better not use that line!!!

It was carried through at conference.

Certain sessions at conference you could get anything carried through.

This is the correspondence from Sally Hunt (General Secretary of UCU)

Cheers for that Stu ( it must of taken some time to find that), thats helps me out alot , especially the links

Regards

Jason

Archived