BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] To Push On, Rovers Need To Refresh.

ffan

To push on, Rovers need to refresh the squad imo. Tugay and Reid both need to be replaced and ye should drop the carry ons like Gallacher.

The reason I think Tugay and Reid need to go is, Tugay is getting old and Reid is nearly injured most of the time.

Hughes has done well with the team and has good back up players like Mokoeana and Roberts.

Rovers have the foundations laid to become a regular top six team, they just need give another push imo and sign some more quality players like Cruz.

Good luck for the rest of the season.

Sorry but nobody knows how Reid will come back yet and to prejudge him is ridiculous. Tugay is too old to be a regular starter every week in the premiership but has lots to offer in appropriate games. Yes, most of us would agree that we do need some new players but you can't buy til Jan anyway and there's no point in getting rid of players until you have the chance of someone at least as good so we're stuck with what we've got at the moment!

To push on, Rovers need to refresh the squad imo. Tugay and Reid both need to be replaced and ye should drop the carry ons like Gallacher.

The reason I think Tugay and Reid need to go is, Tugay is getting old and Reid is nearly injured most of the time.

Hughes has done well with the team and has good back up players like Mokoeana and Roberts.

Rovers have the foundations laid to become a regular top six team, they just need give another push imo and sign some more quality players like Cruz.

An accurate assessment imo ffan.

Yeah I agree mostly, although I think the comment that "Reid is nearly injured most of the time" is a bit harsh as he has had one really bad injury layoff and picked up a couple of niggles whilst coming back from this injury - a time when a player is probably at his most vulnerable.

However, I do think that a lot of people seem to remember Reid as better than he actually was. He was always a steady performer in my opinion, but I think to 'push on' in all honesty we need to revamp central midfield. Savage seems to have lost a bit of the little pace that he originally possessed, Tugay seems to do well as a sub but these days he is facing an uphill struggle, Mokoena is certainly a good backup player but IMO that's all he is, and Dunn for me has surpassed my expectations this season but still there is a doubt over his underlying quality and workrate.

That's not to say I'm unhappy, these are just observations and whilst I appreciate the situation is not yet desperate I think that if we leave it until next summer not only will we be in the unenviable position of having to find possibly two midfielders, but other clubs will know this too and therefore possibly ask for higher fees as a result.

I just look at the likes of Man City (who we should really be equaling) and yes I know they have had investment and we did infact beat them a few weeks ago, players in the mould of Elano and Petrov are the types of players we should be aspiring to. I guess what I'm trying to say is that we lack creativity.

Having said that I know creative midfielders and strikers are probably two of the most expensive player-types around that we have to do a lot of searching to find our Rovers Samba-esque equivalent. Just don't think Dunn and Reid are the future that's all.

I think you are pretty much spot-on. It is a bit harsh to judge Reid until he's returned, but I also think you we have to be realistic and say that there is a very good chance that he won't be anywhere near the player that he was before his injury. Tugay certainly needs to be replaced and Savage needs to be replaced soon, so there is a real need for new players to be brought in at central midfield. If we can do that and bring in two good central midfielder then I think we are looking at a team that can form "the" top 6.

Other smaller areas will need to be looked at, such as a right back and a long-term replacement for Brad, but really it is just in central midfield that I think our team really suffers from a lack of quality players and that is the push that we need.

Tugay is too old to be a regular starter every week in the premiership but has lots to offer in appropriate games.

I agree. As many people have posted before, with his age getting up there, he can not be the premiership starter that he used to be. However, for cup and certain UEFA ties, his experience and skill are an irreplaceable asset. Just having him around to help guide the younger players is only a good thing.

It is a bit harsh to judge Reid until he's returned, but I also think you we have to be realistic and say that there is a very good chance that he won't be anywhere near the player that he was before his injury. Tugay certainly needs to be replaced and Savage needs to be replaced soon, so there is a real need for new players to be brought in at central midfield...but really it is just in central midfield that I think our team really suffers from a lack of quality players and that is the push that we need.

Agreed. Well put. In January, that is the must-have for the Rovers.

i do think we need to start looking for new central midfielders to replace tugay and savage..tugay is getting on and savage isnt the best footballer around, but replace steven reid, when fit hes our best central midfielder around...

mark hughes is building a squad slowly but surely, and the squad is getting there, i do think come january and the summer we may need to spend more money then we usually do, if we want to continue getting europe every season....

i personally think a right back to cover emerton is needed..

a right winger and left winger to give bentley and pedersen some competition..

2 central midfielders to replace the ageing tugay and savage...

and i see roberts leaving in january or the summer, so a striker might be needed..

Obviously a no brainer or two there, and I don't mean to come across offensive but had Sparky spent the sort of money Sanchez did this summer do you think we would have been refreshed? Gally is out on loan.

I think we need one or two quality squad players or someone to really break through from the youth ranks simply to keep the likes of MGP on their toes, one being a creative man in the middle of the park and the rest is just a moatter of players playing up to their potential and I think we have it dicked.

That said I feel more confident of success in our needing refreshing condition than I do about your newly refreshed lot. I'll say this you've been in some entertaining games this season and you don't play half bad, at least from a neutral's standpoint and entertainment value. Like that Davies fella.

i personally think a right back to cover emerton is needed..

a right winger and left winger to give bentley and pedersen some competition..

2 central midfielders to replace the ageing tugay and savage...

and i see roberts leaving in january or the summer, so a striker might be needed..

You don't want much then :P

Just to have my say. Tugay is handy for European games and as a sub, but don't see why he's being discussed as he won't be playing for us next season anyway! Yes it's too early to judge Reid considering he hasn't actually played yet. Dunn has been a revelation this season in my opinion, especially today against Sunderland. Mokoena is a good holding player to sit in front of the back four, a job he did superbly today. Savage isn't as good as he was but having had a rest hopefully he can come back stronger. I think the concern for me is the inconsistency on the wings. Bentley and MGP can be awesome one week and invisible the next! Obviously we will need to strengthen in Jan/Summer but we still have a very solid squad, easily the best since 94/95!

Sell Reid? What kind of suggestion is that? We'd get bugger all for him right now. We could have sold him for five million without much fuss just before he got injured. Let's see how he does first eh? Has to be better than Moko too. I feel we need to invigorate our central midfield with a young creative talent with a good engine.

And we don't need 'competition' for Bentley. He doesn't fade away from complacency like Pedersen and McCarthy. Covering Bentley worries me though, we'd be buggered if he got injured.

And we don't need 'competition' for Bentley. He doesn't fade away from complacency like Pedersen and McCarthy. Covering Bentley worries me though, we'd be buggered if he got injured.

isnt that where we could play emo

and play ooyerr / zurab at rb

we could even play dunny there or reidy

we dont need competion for bentley hes so much more consistant compared with MGP and Benni

:rover:

isnt that where we could play emo

and play ooyerr / zurab at rb

we could even play dunny there or reidy

we dont need competion for bentley hes so much more consistant compared with MGP and Benni

:rover:

We could do these things, yes. But it would weaken our starting XI quite a bit. None of those players is anywhere near as effective in those positions. Wonder if Gera at West Brom could be acquired at a snip...he can play a bit more centrally too I believe.

Archived