• Bentley
    • Sant Cruz
    • Mokoena
    • McCarthy
    • Derbyshire

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm delighted with today's win, especially against such a big club! I think we are up to 5th in table for the time being, so let's hope that Portsmouth lose. Also, I'm happy that McCarthy scored. He has struggled so far this season to find his form, so hopefully this will give him more confidence and more goals.

Always nice to get a win, but again it seems we had real trouble converting our chances. Though on the positive side at least we're creating them. Unfortunately I couldn't either watch or listen to the game so had to stick with commentary here, which means I can't really comment. Points for Bentley in my fantasy team (He's captain) is good tho ;)

Heerenveen are an odd team it seems. Losing 5-1 to a bottom-half team in the Swedish league (Helsingborg. Who do have the honor of knocking out Inter Milan a few years back), and then winning 9-0 a few days later. FWIW, Alves used to play for Helsingborg's worst rivals, Malmö FF. Perhaps that humiliation really, really fired him up? ;)

It's also a new record in the Dutch league, the old record of 6 goals was shared by Cruyff, van Basten and Kerkhofs.

Good win today for us. Wasn't the most exciting game, but for the most part I thought it was pretty comfortable for us and if Roque and Benni had their shooting boots on it would've been a few more. As for the bookings, I thought Clattenburg was very picky today - gave a yellow for Warnock's tackle, but not when the defender tackled Roque for the pen.

I thought Benni had a pretty good game, worked hard to set up chances for others in the 2nd half. Hopefully his little bit of time out will have the desired effect!

Did enough to win today but defence was shaky, especially after HT and the midfield is a mess. Seemed to start 4-3-2-1 and finished 4-4-2. Ref was frustrating.

MOTM was Bentley for me with a special mention for Warnock and RSC.

Friedel. No chance with the goal, saved us at the end.

Emerton. Very poor. Exposed by fiest McSheffery then Kapo. Kept going waklabout.

Warnock. Solid, kept trying to get forward and never stopped running.

Samba. Probably the shakiest he has looked this season, but where would we be without him at the moment.

Ooijer. Dodgy but didn't make any catastrophic errors.

Pedersen. Much better today. Hopefully his form is returning.

Tugay. Poor. Gave the ball away too much. Maybe played too many games recently.

Savage. Ineffective.

Dunn. Ineffective.

Bentley. Should have had more than the one. Corners need to be better but another quality effort.

Roque. Excellent target-man. Unlucky not to score himself.

Benni. Much better attitude today. Looked likely.

Derbyshire. Good sub. Not so good from the start.

Mokoena. Did his stuff.

As for Brum, can't see them going down, look to have some useful attacking options. Very poor travelling support.

"Birmingham manager Steve Bruce:

"It is a bit frustrating; we deserved to get something out of the game. Today was there for the taking.

"The big turning point in the match was the disallowed goal. They put the linesman under enormous pressure here, and he put the flag up. "

He put his flag as soon as the ball came to McSheffery...whilst we were desparately defending. How could we be putting him under pressure?

The Hog-faced nob. Was probably on though.

As for today being there for the taking...they only had one meaningful effort before they were 2-0 down.

What an annoying moaning get he is.

Unfortunately Pompey have taken the lead at Fulham so we are 6th at the moment. Make that 2-0 to Pompey now.

Just seen that Alves scored SEVEN of Heerenven's 9 goals today.

Alves is a beast. An the Dutch league is good fun, you see! :D

Back home in sun laden Leyland witha bloody big beer and a grin as wide as the proverbial Cheshire Cat :rolleyes:

I started off watching Tugay as I thought that I might have been a bit harsh in my assessment of him agasint Larissa, it wasnt long before I was justified in all I thought. Yes, he really is a legend for BRFC, and yes, I truly have worshipped him but I am afraid, he isnt the player he was and he is a liability rather than an experienced asset these days. He is no longer capable of playing the killer passes and quite simply, the more he passes the ball forward the more he gives it away and puts us in trouble.

Anyhow, enough negativity as we savour the weekends sporting heroes.

Sad to see Dunny, Savage and Tugay all injured and it appears that Samba was ill pre match as well as Warnock suffering from a knee knock.

Great to see Bentley notch as well as a much improved showing from Benni Mac. Excellent second 45 minutes and a quality finish from the spot to seal the 3 points.

From my seat in the JW Upper, I thought Brums goal looked good as he was at least level with Oijer, but hey, lady luck evens itself out over the season doesnt it?

So we sit in 6th place, above Chelsea, equal with Liverpoo and handily placed for the International break. The whingeing Aussies are still crying in their lemonade, the Kiwis are wondering just how they have lost the world cup trophy that beckoned them and the cricket team are almost on their way to a 2-1 lead in Sri Lanka. I say almost as they are doing everything in their power to throw a victory away - curently require 16 with 2 wickets left!!

So We look good and have embarked on yet another winning streak, thats 4 in a row now. Reading next up and another 3 points would do nicely.

Happy as Larry :brfc:

Back home in sun laden Leyland witha bloody big beer and a grin as wide as the proverbial Cheshire Cat :rolleyes:

I started off watching Tugay as I thought that I might have been a bit harsh in my assessment of him agasint Larissa, it wasnt long before I was justified in all I thought. Yes, he really is a legend for BRFC, and yes, I truly have worshipped him but I am afraid, he isnt the player he was and he is a liability rather than an experienced asset these days. He is no longer capable of playing the killer passes and quite simply, the more he passes the ball forward the more he gives it away and puts us in trouble.

Anyhow, enough negativity as we savour the weekends sporting heroes.

Sad to see Dunny, Savage and Tugay all injured and it appears that Samba was ill pre match as well as Warnock suffering from a knee knock.

Great to see Bentley notch as well as a much improved showing from Benni Mac. Excellent second 45 minutes and a quality finish from the spot to seal the 3 points.

From my seat in the JW Upper, I thought Brums goal looked good as he was at least level with Oijer, but hey, lady luck evens itself out over the season doesnt it?

So we sit in 6th place, above Chelsea, equal with Liverpoo and handily placed for the International break. The whingeing Aussies are still crying in their lemonade, the Kiwis are wondering just how they have lost the world cup trophy that beckoned them and the cricket team are almost on their way to a 2-1 lead in Sri Lanka. I say almost as they are doing everything in their power to throw a victory away - curently require 16 with 2 wickets left!!

So We look good and have embarked on yet another winning streak, thats 4 in a row now. Reading next up and another 3 points would do nicely.

Happy as Larry :brfc:

But Hughes has to go - surely ?!

:o

Archived