BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Football Manager 2008

I've been playing the demo recently and quite like the game overall. It just seems to have moved on a bit to far from the initial days of just being able to pick your team and play. Now you have to set and alter your instructions throughout the game.

• Replies 390
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Good signing there, didn't think he would come to Rovers! I'll have to remember him in the future.

You can get him for £7.5m plus 50% of next signing. Declare your interest right away and put in a bid to get him.

Started again.

Sold

Savage, Reid, Peter, Kane, Nolan, Derbyshire, Olsson, Roberts

Bought

Rafa van der Vaart, Ever Banegra, Mika Aarialto, Aleksandr Kirov, Harry Kewell.

(Got Lulinha and Breno coming next year)

TEAM

GK- Friedel

RB- Ooijer

CB- Nelsen ©

CB -Samba

LB- Warnock

DMC- Banegra

MC- Pedersen

MC- van der Vaart/Santa Cruz

AML- Harry Kewell

AMR- David Bentley

SC- Benni McCarthy

Played 12 and got exactly same record as real life team! Apart from I'm still in Europe, and only played one round of the League Cup, where I was beaten 2-0 by Man Utd at Old Trafford.

Highlights

1-2 away against Liverpool, (Benni 2)

5-1 home to Reading (Benni 3, Kewell, Kirov)

1-2 away to Fulham (down to ten men, ten minutes to go, Santa Cruz header and Maceo Rigters volleyin 90+3 minute!!!)

I've got 10 games to go in my first season with Rovers and we're sitting 8 points clear at the top of the Prem. Still got a feeling we're going to blow it - but we're 15 points above the team in 5th - so at least a champions league finish looks on. Lost in first knock-out stage of UEFA, and lost at Arsenal in 5th round of FA Cup. Team is pretty much the same as at the start. Just Aarialto in the first eleven who was signed - McCarthy is brilliant for me - he's got about 23 goals and Santa Cruz 14. Aarialto has got about 12 from behind the strikers, then I've got MGP and Bents either side of a diamond, with Savage in front of the defence. Friedel just won player of the month for Feb, and Nelsen is quality.

Van Der Vaart is an absolute must. He's good enough to play for any team in the Premiership, but will go to the likes of Rovers. You can get him for somewhere in the region of £7.5m - £15m.

Always was the case though, every FM I ever bought.

Anyway, how significantly do the patches improve the game?

Oh and did they drop having Conference North and South??

First season in Rovers, lost in Uefa against Legia Warsow, i'm 7th in the league and i'm in the semis in the League cup.

Sold Enckelman and a few reserve players, Emerton is still unhappy after I refused to sell him in August, got Thiago Motta, Mata and one arsenal player on loan.

I'm getting into it a little more now. Your success stories are great though. Shows that rovers are finally getting recognition in FM as well as real life.

I'm still only on the demo and have a couple of games going. Only really progressed with the chelsea game so far. Signed owen for £10m.

Finished my first season with Rovers with some friends who were Reading and Spurs. Ended up finishing 4th, miles behind the top 3 though. I got to the semis of the League Cup, 5th round of the FA Cup and second knock-out of the UEFA Cup where I was destroyed by Bayern. Looking forward to next season.

I play the same tactics home and away. 4-4-2 with a diamond in midfield, defensive tactics, with a high tempo, short passing and a deep defensive line. I sometimes increase the closing down, but not very often.

I play a very similar tactic - all except that I have a more direct style and close down a lot.

What tactics are people playing away from home?

I am fine at home but struggle away....gimme ideas dudes!

Formation 4 3 2 1

Mentality Normal

Full backs – Taken off forward runs (mixed)

1 CM set to defensive

Closing down two notches above middle

Defence deepness 1 notch below normal

2 central AM making sideways runs

Very solid if unspectacular , and I don’t concede many away from home

• 3 weeks later...

Hate to repeat myself, but how much of an improvement do the patches offer? I really need to know.

Also, if anybody knows the size of the patch, and whether I could store it on a USB and take it home (I don't have net access) that'd be great.

Hate to repeat myself, but how much of an improvement do the patches offer? I really need to know.

Also, if anybody knows the size of the patch, and whether I could store it on a USB and take it home (I don't have net access) that'd be great.

Pretty sure that if you search this thread then you will see what the patch improves. (I havent got the new game however, with past footman/champman games the patch is a big deal so should be installed)

You can store it on a usb stick and take it home. Just save it in your footman folder and click it and it will unpack and run.

• 3 weeks later...

I am playing a game as Derby right now (playing as Rovers makes me cheat... a lot... (It's fun to win the title first season but takes five times as long due to all the reloading)) and the Derby-Rovers match was also 1-2 with Santa equalizing. Not that I can claim prophetic ability since the game came after ours today.

This game sure is biased against Rovers...

I finished up my first season for Derby and Rovers finished 15th on 40 points. Funnily Hughes was not under threat despite being around that mark all year. Even worse, the researcher overrated Sergio Peter, so I loaned him in and he was critical in getting me into 8th place and the FA Cup Final. He won Premier League Young Player of the Year, so if you are playing as Blackburn keep him around. In further news, James McEveley scored multiple penalties and led the league for most of the year in tackles. He ended up being the only player for me to appear in every league contest. Andy Todd, on the other hand, was pretty poor.

This game sure is biased against Rovers...

I finished up my first season for Derby and Rovers finished 15th on 40 points. Funnily Hughes was not under threat despite being around that mark all year. Even worse, the researcher overrated Sergio Peter, so I loaned him in and he was critical in getting me into 8th place and the FA Cup Final. He won Premier League Young Player of the Year, so if you are playing as Blackburn keep him around. In further news, James McEveley scored multiple penalties and led the league for most of the year in tackles. He ended up being the only player for me to appear in every league contest. Andy Todd, on the other hand, was pretty poor.

I've noticed Sergio Peter is a tad overrated too, from season 2 onwards he becomes a regular in the side and even moved to Arsenal on one save I had.

Is there actually any difference between Worldwide Soccer Manager and Football Manager except the name? I mean are all the databases the same and such?

They are the same. As an American too, I have WWSM. Much cheaper than FM for us, plus you can have a digital download version. The only difference is the file names created, which can mean that third party utility programs do not work or need to be altered.

Try sortitoutsi in the forums there a section called tugs training schedules, they seem to work for me.

http://community.sortitoutsi.net/index.php?showforum=18

I finished 5th in my first season and won the uefa cup, using that schedule and the "humdinger" tactic

Second season I finished 6th got knocked out in the uefa semi's (By Tottenham) but won the league cup

Cleared out the deadwood, got rid of roberts (1m to newly promoted coventry) and sold Mccarthy and Roque to for a combined 12 million (Roque didnt score in the second season but was top scorer the year before)

Brought in Leroy Lita (Who is awesome a must buy scored 38 goals in a season!) Kevin Doyle and Danny Haynes (Kept Matty Derbyshire).

Then splashed the rest of my budget on Rafael Van de Vaart (17m) who fractured his back and was out for the season, suffice to say we struggled ended up 14 won nowt and they sacked me!

Archived