BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Football Manager 2008

I find about the same with many of the players. Mokoena is especially great in European competition - scored a hattrick in UEFA for me. Benni won the golden boot my first season. I traded Derbyshire for Woodgate, and Matty is doing very well at Boro.

• Replies 390
  • Created
  • Last Reply

How you doing on it Ribblevalley?

Best way forward is to buy young players all the time - even if you dont need them. Make sure you have 3 or 4 affilated clubs that you can send them out to gain experience, ideally at decent clubs.

Iv got 6 scouts constantly scouting different parts of the world so my network is quite good and allows me to spot kids from 15 - 18. Iv signed quite a few who have progressed well in reserves and then on loan and then iv sold for massive profit, with big clauses attached - il list a few after tonight as iv got that many iv forgot all the names.

Erm i'm doing ok Hughesy, played 4 matches so far, won 3 of them and lost just once. One of the games was the Euro Vase first leg against Maccabi Haifa which i won 1-0, though it should of been more as i had close to 60% posession and loads of chances. I will be interesting to see how i go on when it comes to the start of the league campaign.

Experimenting with formations at the moment and i'm trying out a 4-3-3 with a lone striker, support from either side from the wingers, 2 attacking midfielders and a holding defensive midfielder. It seems to be working out ok, but it will be far more effective if i can bring in some better attacking mid's with higher finishing stats, plus maybe a more pacey, stronger forward.

Was suprised to see how good the likes of Peter and Mokoena are on there. Samba is an absolute beast, i have him set up on near post flick ons and he always causes some major trouble.

In terms of players brought in, i've brought in:

- Matt Hill as cover for Warnock,

- Romanian DM Costin Lazar.

- Cahais a talented young defender from Boca who i've sent to Cercle Brugge due to the work permit.

- Dalla Valle, 15 year old youngster who i believe has good potential.

In contract talks with Piatti and it should be completed, been looking at Breno, Lulinha and i've been looking at Gabriel Torje as backup for Bents. Bogdan Stancu looks a nice player as well. Looking at some other youngsters as well.

Villa have put a £4.6 million pound bid in for Emerton, which i might accept if i can find someone else. Ooijer is getting interest from Man City and Bents is being chased by Newcastle.

I agree Hughesy about looking for cheap youngsters and selling them for a profit. Particularly when you have a small budget to work with. Eventually i will do what i always do, make a team with a core british spine to it. But i will need some major funds for that ;)

I agree Hughesy about looking for cheap youngsters and selling them for a profit. Particularly when you have a small budget to work with. Eventually i will do what i always do, make a team with a core british spine to it. But i will need some major funds for that ;)

Try

Toto tumaz

Yuval Shpungin

Kaimmer Saag (lith)

Emil salmonsson

Falcao

diego buonaotte ( river)

Jose san roman (river)

balasz dzsudzsak (debrecen)

Jozy Altidore

Brilliant player - diogo from portugese (brazil) cost 2 million

- Matt Hill as cover for Warnock,

- Cahais a talented young defender from Boca who i've sent to Cercle Brugge due to the work permit.

- Dalla Valle, 15 year old youngster who i believe has good potential.

In contract talks with Piatti and it should be completed, been looking at Breno, Lulinha and i've been looking at Gabriel Torje as backup for Bents. Bogdan Stancu looks a nice player as well. Looking at some other youngsters as well.

Villa have put a £4.6 million pound bid in for Emerton, which i might accept if i can find someone else. Ooijer is getting interest from Man City and Bents is being chased by Newcastle.

You'll do well! I bought all the ones in bold. Sell Emerton - but don't let Ooijer go - he does a job at CB/RB. Most people sell Emerton I think as he gives you quite a bit to spend on players. Youngsters are the way forward.

Yeah i sold Emerton. I might get Justin Hoyte on loan at right back and use him and Ooijer at right back, until at least the summer.

Has anyone bought Rene Mihelic, Marko Marin or Tony Vroos (sp?). If so how have they turned out?

I got Hoyte on loan too - good cover - and he's now signed permanently in season 3.

Of the three you mention - I've only bought Marko Marin. I've had interest from most of the big clubs in Europe - and he looks like being a class act. Definitely a worthwhile signing. I play him behind the striker, or on the left or right of a diamond midfield. Very good running with the ball and great passing and creativity. Scored our third goal in a 3-1 win at Old Trafford running from inside his own half and between the centre-backs. :)

I got Hoyte on loan too - good cover - and he's now signed permanently in season 3.

Of the three you mention - I've only bought Marko Marin. I've had interest from most of the big clubs in Europe - and he looks like being a class act. Definitely a worthwhile signing. I play him behind the striker, or on the left or right of a diamond midfield. Very good running with the ball and great passing and creativity. Scored our third goal in a 3-1 win at Old Trafford running from inside his own half and between the centre-backs. :)

Sounds like the sort of player i'm looking for, thanks for the heads up LeftWinger :)

Yeah i sold Emerton. I might get Justin Hoyte on loan at right back and use him and Ooijer at right back, until at least the summer.

Has anyone bought Rene Mihelic, Marko Marin or Tony Vroos (sp?). If so how have they turned out?

Do you mean Toni Kroos at Bayern?

Sir Alex nabbed him on a free in my game and when I took over from Derby after his retirement Kroos was one of my AMCs. He has tremendous potential and is great at set-pieces. Definitely one for the future if you can somehow get him.

Im just starting a new game after about 7 seasons as my previous save has stopped working and now i cant get any further!!

Just started up and iv had a £12 million bid for bentley, £2million bid for Mokoena, Tugay has gone for £450k and Villa offered £7million for Pedersen. Time to decide what to do!

6 young stars of the future that make it to be very good players - Dean Bouzanis (Liverpool kid keeper), Jozy Altidore (New York), Rob White (ST), Bradley Martin (Defender), Sessa (Left Wing), Mahmut (Turkish Midfielder),

What players do most start there games with? Do you load any additional players from other countries?

Im just starting a new game after about 7 seasons as my previous save has stopped working and now i cant get any further!!

Just started up and iv had a £12 million bid for bentley, £2million bid for Mokoena, Tugay has gone for £450k and Villa offered £7million for Pedersen. Time to decide what to do!

6 young stars of the future that make it to be very good players - Dean Bouzanis (Liverpool kid keeper), Jozy Altidore (New York), Rob White (ST), Bradley Martin (Defender), Sessa (Left Wing), Mahmut (Turkish Midfielder),

What players do most start there games with? Do you load any additional players from other countries?

I usually run a few additional players from other countries, like Peru, Mexico, Paraguay, Colombia. I always add Bulgaria, Serbia, Poland, Romania and some others that used to be known as "eastern bloc" countries. Poland and Romania produce quite a decent amount of young talent, that could be future stars.

Guest Kamy100

I have uploaded the shortlist that I use, it contains pretty much every decent player in the game and will cater for all budgets:

http://files.filefront.com/08+shortlistslf/;963650

To use it:

Download and save on desktop,

Load up FM2008,

Click shortlists,

At the bottom there will be an option to import file click that

go to location where you saved it

file will be shown double click

the shortlist will now be imported to your game

Enjoy!

Sell Bentley. In my games so far he doesn't get any better - solid right winger, but not spectacular (averages in the high 6s). No one wants to buy him in his last year of contract and he's only with 4.5 million.

Some players observations i've noticed so far on the new patch:

Piatti, doesn't look as good as he was. Still a decent player though, and they've made him a AMLC now.

Bogdan Stancu more expensive to buy at the start. Same with Torje.

Aaron Lennon's stats have seen a major decrease

Dalla Valle is at liverpool :(

Elano is godlike in the 8.02 patch, major stats increase

Lubos Kalouda at Brno looks a very good right winger

And yeah Bentley is really underated on this game :(

I think there is a major error in the game with the new patch.

Tottenham get really rich and Portsmouth go heavily in debt because they've accidentally made Portsmouth give Tottenham millions of pounds for every appearance Defoe makes for Pompey instead of making it after a set number of games he's played for them.

This can be changed in the editor though so it might be worth doing that....unless you're like me and want to see Pompey suffer :-)

Iv just reached January in my 1st season, currently sitting 8th, got knocked out of UEFA in the group stage after being put with Valencia, Levski, Empoli & Brann, and just got knocked out of the league cup at Quarter-final stage to Liverpool. Injuries are affecting my teams form but we are starting to get some players back now. Had some good results still Beat United, Chelsea and drew with Arsenal, however inconsistency and injuries have affected us so far!

Didn’t make massive changes, sold Jason Brown £1.2m & Savage £2.3m, signed Benegra from Boca for £1.9 million, also took Leto from Liverpool on loan (although iv just sent him home as he wasn’t too good), also took Collins John on loan as another option upfront and he is currently the top scorer with 11 goals with Benni just behind on 9. He is free in the summer too so I think il steal him aslong as Fulham don’t make a new offer before then. Now its January and im signing Breno (Brazilian Wonderkid) for £4.2 million and got Bouzanis coming in another 12 months time.

Main changes for me as always at the start is the back room staff, only 2 or 3 have survived my cull, much improved on that front. Playing 4-4-2 with wingers pushing down the line, one of the midfielders dropping deep – its my usual tactic and it works well.

As for Bentley his value is now up to £8.25m and iv turned down a £17.5 million offer from Arsenal aswell as an offer of £1 million + Song, Traore & Merida. There are 12 interested clubs including Real, Valencia, Chelsea & Arsenal so il just sit out the offers for abit yet as he is doing well and his value will increase further in the 2nd half of the season im sure. Also the scousers have just offered me £8.5 million for Samba, which I think we get rejected! Ooijer is off to either Bolton or Boro for £250k in the next few days too.

If you want to try a crazy tactic click the link below, I usually make my own tactics but a friend told me to try it and I have only lost 1 game out of the last 93!!:

http://www.thedugout.tv/community/showthread.php?t=40160

I'm confused, this tactic doesn't appear to be any more specific than saying 4-2-1-2-1. Doesn't mention most of the other stuff, or whether it should all be through the middle or anything.

Archived