BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] General Election Looming

Exactly. That has been a major grumble with me for decades. How indeed can the likes of GS as well as Latin, Art, Trig, PE etc be more important preparation for modern adult life than financial planning and basic use and interpretation of accounts?

There's more to education than preparation for the market place , Drog .

General studies is a waste of space but PE , Art and languages - even dead ones - should be central to the curriculum . The most important subject will always be history - dreadfully neglected these days .

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply
There's more to education than preparation for the market place , Drog .

General studies is a waste of space but PE , Art and languages - even dead ones - should be central to the curriculum . The most important subject will always be history - dreadfully neglected these days .

General studies tests to see what all round skills students have, are they myopicaly focused on their three subjects (Im talking from when I did it in 97) or are they well rounded?

My A Level GS exam consisted of a language paper, Maths, Science, Geography, Geology, General knowledge, Art, English Lang and History.

Hardly pointless.

Unless that is, you didnt do well in it.

General studies tests to see what all round skills students have, are they myopicaly focused on their three subjects (Im talking from when I did it in 97) or are they well rounded?

My A Level GS exam consisted of a language paper, Maths, Science, Geography, Geology, General knowledge, Art, English Lang and History.

Hardly pointless.

Unless that is, you didnt do well in it.

Give over flopsy, now your just being awkward for the sake of it

Having sat GS in 2003, me and most of my mates thought it was utterly pointless, a view shared by most reputable Universities who don't recognise the qualification.

please note I did mine 6 years before yours, and thereofre according to a large number of people, much harder than the one you and you chums did ;)

My opinion is that GS is actually quite important as it shows that the person has a well rounded knowledge of all subjects not just the ones they're being crammed for.

People complain about the people coming out of schools and university not being rounded enough for work, well thats one of the reasons.

I would actually make General Studies compulsory at A Level and make it harder so it actually means something to universities. The whole UCAS thing is to see what kind of well rounded individual you are, as well as your subject skills, why not use it.

please note I did mine 6 years before yours, and thereofre according to a large number of people, much harder than the one you and you chums did ;)

My opinion is that GS is actually quite important as it shows that the person has a well rounded knowledge of all subjects not just the ones they're being crammed for.

People complain about the people coming out of schools and university not being rounded enough for work, well thats one of the reasons.

I would actually make General Studies compulsory at A Level and make it harder so it actually means something to universities. The whole UCAS thing is to see what kind of well rounded individual you are, as well as your subject skills, why not use it.

I sat my GS Exam a few years back and did okay in it. Im not too sure how much its helps your application to University though. As far as its creditability and future ive a mixed opinion, in one aspect its good as its sorts out students who have actual intelligence from the students that simply rely on spoon-feed revision notes ( many subjects imo allow for people with little intellect, skills or knowledge to attain good grades by simply remembering what the teachers have said: this is clearly not transferable into university and ultimately the workplace) to pass exams, on the other hand it is not an accredited subject by certain universities. It either needs to re-formatted or dropped from the curriculum completely.

Anyhow who is in favour of the Tory proposal to stop Scottish Mp’s from voting on English matters?

raises hand.

although Nick Robinson over on't Beeb raises some good points

BBC Website

Points raised as if it was the perspective by a Scottish Labour Mp, dont you think?

The ludicrous point was made by Mrs Harrman yesterday that the Tories were trying to break-up the Union, er wasn’t devolution labour’s pet project? We simply can’t go along with the completely undemocratic situation that is current, we as tax-paying voters are having to suffer.

If I were a Tory Mp id bang on about the West-Lothian/English question all day long; as there are only two outcomes and both are positive for the Tories; Labour are forced to make changes to the electoral position . in regards to Scottish Mp’s voting on English matters (Unlikely give the % of Scottish Mp’s within the Labour party and in particular cabinet) , secondly Labour do nothing and the Tories gain popularity as they are seen as the voter as the only party trying to balance the equation.

Whatever the outcome Labour have dug themselves into a huge hole, one that may yet go along way to handing power back over to the Conservatives

Points raised as if it was the perspective by a Scottish Labour Mp, dont you think?

The ludicrous point was made by Mrs Harrman yesterday that the Tories were trying to break-up the Union, er wasn’t devolution labour’s pet project? We simply can’t go along with the completely undemocratic situation that is current, we as tax-paying voters are having to suffer.

If I were a Tory Mp id bang on about the West-Lothian/English question all day long; as there are only two outcomes and both are positive for the Tories; Labour are forced to make changes to the electoral position . in regards to Scottish Mp’s voting on English matters (Unlikely give the % of Scottish Mp’s within the Labour party and in particular cabinet) , secondly Labour do nothing and the Tories gain popularity as they are seen as the voter as the only party trying to balance the equation.

Whatever the outcome Labour have dug themselves into a huge hole, one that may yet go along way to handing power back over to the Conservatives

you're a student arent you?

How much tax do you actually pay?

Many apologies if you arent a soap dodger.

One of the bloggers/serial whingers on the have your say bit has a good idea.

House of Commons becomes English Parliament, house of lords is the UK parliament.

Does mean however that we'll probably need a presidential post

you're a student arent you?

How much tax do you actually pay?

Many apologies if you arent a soap dodger.

One of the bloggers/serial whingers on the have your say bit has a good idea.

House of Commons becomes English Parliament, house of lords is the UK parliament.

Does mean however that we'll probably need a presidential post

Yes

I pay tax, as i also work pretty much work full-time. To add to that up until a few months ago i was paying nearly £200 quid a month in NI

• 1 year later...

Labour should have either called it when there was all that speculation, and Brown was popular, or called it and deliberately ran a crap campaign, so David Cameron would be the PM when all the banks went bust. The Tories would then have to struggle with the problems Labour havde had in recent months and the Tories would be sunk. Either way, the election should have been called. But then, hindsight is 20/20.

Archived