BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Italian Serie A

I go with Inter because a friend is a mad keen Inter fan and until last season they were heroically hopeless.

I'm an avid Inter fan - they got me into football in the Klinsmann days. When you say Inter were heroically hopeless, don't forget it's hard to win when the competition are disgraceful cheats... :angry:

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'm an avid Inter fan - they got me into football in the Klinsmann days. When you say Inter were heroically hopeless, don't forget it's hard to win when the competition are disgraceful cheats... :angry:

Oh come on, it wasn't just that. Heroically hopeless is a decent assessment. Considering how much money Moratti has put into that club and how few trophies they've won...They've been a constant disappointment in my opinion. That's why I'm waiting to see their performance this year. Last year's title, without Milan and Juventus able to compete, was not that much of an achievement.

There were more goals in serie A last season than any other european league. Live games now on channel 5. Perfect hangover cure.

How anyone can like Italian football is beyond me. I personally fine Serie A and Italian football in general very boring! Maybe you find it a good hangover cure because it makes you fall asleep!!??

Inter are Italian footballs Spurs.

A big club due to geography, they have rarely achieved anything of note.

Relegate Man Utd, deduct a zillion points from Chelsea, Arsenal and Liverpool, and Spurs might (though I emphasise MIGHT) win the league too.

Inter are Italian footballs Spurs.

A big club due to geography, they have rarely achieved anything of note.

Not a bad record they have...

Serie A / Italian Football Championship:

* Champions (15): 1909–10; 1919–20; 1929–30; 1937–38; 1939–40; 1952–53; 1953–54; 1962–63; 1964–65; 1965–66; 1970–71; 1979–80; 1988–89; 2005–06; 2006–07

* Runners-up (14): 1932–33; 1933–34; 1934–35; 1940–41; 1945–46; 1948–49; 1950–51; 1961–62; 1963–64; 1966–67; 1969–70; 1992–93; 1997–98; 2002–03

The 80s and 90s weren't good for them really, but in recent years they've been doing alright i'd say.

Shilito you don't know what you're talking about! Sure the nineties was a dark period in Inters history (they only won 3 UEFA cups), but up until then they had the second most scudetto in Italy after Juventus. And now have 15. And is also the only team to never have been relegated from the Serie A. One of the highest earning football clubs in the world and G14 member. Also they are not from the capital like the spuds are. A better comparison would probably be Liverpool.

Shilito you don't know what you're talking about! Sure the nineties was a dark period in Inters history (they only won 3 UEFA cups), but up until then they had the second most scudetto in Italy after Juventus. And now have 15. And is also the only team to never have been relegated from the Serie A. One of the highest earning football clubs in the world and G14 member. Also they are not from the capital like the spuds are. A better comparison would probably be Liverpool.

In terms of how good they used to be and how rarely they get a trophy nowadays, the most accurate comparison would indeed be Liverpool. But being one of the highest earning football clubs in the world and G14 member is an aggravating circumstance for the fact that they've been massive underachievers for quite a while. They have indeed won 3 UEFA Cups in the 90s, but the last one was 9 whole years ago. Their 2 latest titles were sort of artificial. I don't mean to say they weren't rightfully crowned, but the first was due to extraordinary circumstances and, as I said above, the last one was won without much opposition in a league where there's usually 3-4 teams battling it out.

In my opinion, they have had one of the best sides in the world at one point, a few years ago, after massive spending by Moratti. Why they have been so incapable of finding success is beyond me.

To me that is why the Premiership is the best, it offers a great combination of attacking and defensive football. Even more impressive for me when you consider how much faster and more powerful it is when compared to any continental league.

Spot on, but only because creative midfields a few and far between. Faster and powerful does not necessarily make better football, just because you can transfer the ball from one end to the other quickly and get a shot on goal?

South American football is just as physical (although melodramatics make it impossible to watch sometimes) but watching the technical abilities of even the mediocre players of the league is wonderful.

European wise I can't go past La Liga, maybe they are 'poorer' in defense because there are superior attacking players in the league and the coaching philosophy is for attack? Hence Capello getting the 'arse'

To answer the original question, I would go Sampdoria or Udinese.

Surprised to see so many bad comments about Serie A, up until last week it was the highest scoring league in Europe (haven't checked since Portsmouths 7-4 drumming of Reading).

Mainly I'm surprised because the Rovers play very like a Serie A side, lots of tactical discipline and responsibility, two good wingers and a desire to play the ball on the ground. It all depends on what you like from your football really, I have really got into the tactical side of the game since living in Italy - it's just so important here. I think that's why the national team has success too, all the players are taught very young to follow the instructions of the coach and not to run about all over the place.

I have to say that I struggle to watch the Premiership these days if Rovers aren't on, it's all too clean and tidy. If you win Serie A you have to go and do the dirty work in Palermo (in front of 40000 sicilians), Udinese on the Croatian border Genoa and Samp (two of the greatest Tifoseria in Italy). These places may not be big but they give everyone a game at their place, in England the press talk about London clubs going to Rovers, Bolton and Wigan but the pitches are pristine and the fans at home.... Serie A despite it's problems with Juventus still has it soul, the Prem (which is surely equally corrupt) sold it down the river some time ago and unfortunately it's reflected in the footy.

Anyway, I would go for Genoa CFC (Cricket and Football club) if you want to support a team like Rovers, founder members of the Italian league (in fact the oldest team in Italy). A great history and probably the best fans in the country. http://www.genoacfc.it/

I've always felt Inter and Moratti are too impatient to really make it up there, they usually sign 6-7 new faces each year, and most of them experienced players. They've obviously got their star man in Zlatan at the moment, aswell as solid players like Cambiasso, Zanetti and Materazzi. They'll compete both in Europe and in the Serie A, money aside they are playing good football at the moment.

As I said I am a Roma supporter if anything, they've built a team around Romans Totti and Daniele De Rossi, and they've always produced a lot of good players in their youth academies. Aquilani and keeper Curci are the only two playing at the moment, I'm sure we will see on-loan players Rosi and Okaka a lot more the next few seasons - and young prodigy Alessio Cerci might also be on his way back in January after impressing on loan for Pisa.

As an Inter season ticket holder I have to admit that Chivu at center back is a lot worse than Mexes. However he is an excellent leftback, only problem is that Inter have Maxwell at leftback who is probably our surprise of the year so far (other big surprises have been Ibra shooting on target and Adriano running).

Here's Maxwell at his best last year against Parma

Otherwise only problem for Inter this year will be the goalkeeper (goal conceded to Napoli last weekend is a case in point)

Do I sense a touch of irony there? :P

Quite the contrary. I haven't seen Chivu a lot for Inter, he might not have impressed for them for all I know. He's a fantastic player in my book, I love watching defenders who can control the ball in tight situations and effectively create attacking football from defence. Phillipe Mexes being the king of slick defending, Chivu isn't far off either.

ps, InterRovers: Worse than Mexes?? Since when did one of the finest defending talents in the world become the low point in a comparison?

Rovers in America:

Small towns in Europe then your looking at Parma (not now though), Udinese and (sometimes) Atalanta.

History and tradition, good support outside the top 5 then without a doubt Genoa. First footy club, started by an English bloke. Their ground (shared with Samp) is the only one with English style stands extending to pitch side rather than running tracks, police dog handler areas and moats as most others have.

As for the "watching paint dry" argument, I had a season ticket for a few years with Bologna (Serie A at the time) and, apart from the Robby Baggio season, I now get greater satisfaction on Sunday afternoons sitting in front of my living wall with a fresh coat of dulux applied.

It must be said, when you do get a good game in Italy it is very good, but, as Channel 4 found to its detriment, they are so rare that it ain't worth the wait. The catenaccio, timewasting, on-field cheating, over-strict refs, poor crowds (mostly), poor atmosphere (often) and, by far the worst, the off-field antics of power tripping presidents and management who have taken the pea out of supporters for years isn't my idea of entertainment.

It must be said, when you do get a good game in Italy it is very good, but, as Channel 4 found to its detriment, they are so rare that it ain't worth the wait. The catenaccio, timewasting, on-field cheating, over-strict refs, poor crowds (mostly), poor atmosphere (often) and, by far the worst, the off-field antics of power tripping presidents and management who have taken the pea out of supporters for years isn't my idea of entertainment.

I unfortunately agree with this. I started following AC Milan in the days of Baresi(the dirty player that he was), Papin, Pannucci, van Basten, Boban, Gullit, Rijkaard, etc. and the youngsters of Maldini, Albertini, Costacurta and then in the early 2000's it just seemed to me that the league was sinking for all of the above reasons. I think this also coincides with regular coverage of the Premier League seeing how footy should be played. Now AC Milan has too many players who don't necessarily gel together (the Real Madrid syndrome) so the play isn't as fluid as it used to be back in the day and it's a chore to watch a full game.

For what it's worth I've always hated Dida, and wanted Abbiatti over him every day of the week. He's been a blight on the AC Milan history books...him and Christian Vieri...

Archived