BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Postal Dispute

I worked at the same company for 10 years. Any rise we got was never above inflation. Then the overtime rates were cut. Then overtime was cut full stop. We had no salary increase at all for the past 20 months. I ended up earning less than I was 4 or 5 years ago. Could we go on strike? Could we hell.

I`ll tell you what I did. I did something about it. I borrowed money against our mortgage ( which we couldn`t afford ) to re-train as a domestic electrician. It meant sacrifices but now its paying dividends and I`m chuffed to bits.

However, as a sole trader I am waiting for payments to arrive which are now late because other individuals at the post office are dependant on a union making something happen for them rather than geting off their backsides themselves and effing up other peoples lives.

Like i said

GET BACK TO WORK YOU LAZY GITS OR GO DO SOMETHING ELSE

Good grief . Talk about looking after number 1 and bugger the rest .....

You got treated like sh1t for ten years and so you wish it on others now .

Well done . You should be proud of yourself . Go and join the Old Tories or New Labour :rolleyes:

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply
However, as a sole trader I am waiting for payments to arrive which are now late because other individuals at the post office are dependant on a union making something happen for them rather than geting off their backsides themselves and effing up other peoples lives.

Like i said

GET BACK TO WORK YOU LAZY GITS OR GO DO SOMETHING ELSE

Regardless of how cliched it sounds. They are GETTING OFF THEIR ARSES and standing up for their right to be paid a decent rate for a fair days work, without being shafted. They are not dependant on "a union" doing something for them - they are the union, and THEY ARE standing up for their rights as an employee.

Of course it has repercussions, but they gave notice - its funny how many people are claiming things are "in the post" though.

And where do I state I wish it upon others?

Quote me on one example where I state I wish it happens to others.

My point is we all have a choice.

I chose to do something about it in a way that would not affect others. Why can`t others do the same? I guess there is the hard way of doing things and the union ( screw everyone else ) way of doing things.

Bugger the rest as you so put it, is exactly what the postal service are doing right now, not a sole trader electrician.

the union ( screw everyone else ) way of doing things.

the union, whose representatives have been negotiating for months and months to resolve this issue.

Striking is the very last resort, one only taken when all other options have been exhausted, usually after months of trying.

The union's members DO NOT WANT to be on strike and losing pay. Witholding one's labour is every individuals right, no matter how angry it makes you or others, plenty warning was given in this dispute. Sadly there will be inconveniences.

Blame Adam Crozier and his stance on how to treat his staff, having been treated like crap yourself I guess a little empathy is too much to ask?

Regardless of how cliched it sounds. They are GETTING OFF THEIR ARSES and standing up for their right to be paid a decent rate for a fair days work, without being shafted. They are not dependant on "a union" doing something for them - they are the union, and THEY ARE standing up for their rights as an employee.

Of course it has repercussions, but they gave notice - its funny how many people are claiming things are "in the post" though.

Not sure what world you live in pal but I am currently waiting for a cheque for £4557

Not that it is any of your business. I have also recieved a court summons from the council for non payment of council tax. This is because the funds were not in my account through no fault of my own for a direct debit payment. I can`t magic money up. I`m owed it. Its on its way but a few people are not happy with life so cock it up for the rest of us.

And like I said, what goes around, comes around.

having been treated like crap yourself I guess a little empathy is too much to ask?

Like I said, although we could not afford it, I did something about it instead of waiting for some white collar to kick up a fuss for us.

Paul ; it is the guidelines and laws laid out by the government that is preventing the PO from competing on a like for like level playing field with the very companies you seem to be using .

Crozier's way of dealing with that is to try and screw the PO workers to the very bone by undermining their wages and pensions and working conditions . Yes , that might make the business slightly more competitive in the short term but in the long term all they'll get is large turn over , unmotivated workforce . In the 21st century when everyone else is moving toward flexi time and treating their workers as a team worthy of respect this is not the way forward .

I thought we were getting to the stage , like most other European countries , that co-operation with the workforce was the way to increase productivity . When I see people like Crozier still in charge of large organisations and governments such as this willing to stand by and let them destroy what is OUR postal service I despair . It was what Labour were formed to achieve that they are now undermining - workers' rights and welfare !

Hear hear! And by God I never thought I'd ever agree with Pip on anything . We all live and learn.

Not sure what world you live in pal but I am currently waiting for a cheque for £4557

Not that it is any of your business. I have also recieved a court summons from the council for non payment of council tax. This is because the funds were not in my account through no fault of my own for a direct debit payment. I can`t magic money up. I`m owed it. Its on its way but a few people are not happy with life so cock it up for the rest of us.

I live in the real world Alan.

Cashflow is a bit of a ballache in running your own business. And I dont intend to preach to you on how to run your business - but the CWU have been trying to resolve this for months. Adam Crozier is the man to blame, not individuals who are trying to protect their employment.

I'm too cynical in situations like this when it comes to debtors paying up - in many circumstances people will take advantage of this to just delay payment.

Hope your payment arrives when deliveries resume on Thursday.

Wrong - as a sole trader its your responsibility to make sure your bills are paid - in full and on-time!

Your risk - therefore your responsibility.

Also, I think you will find that any council will wait a good deal of time before resorting to court action to recover funds.

Regardless of how cliched it sounds. They are GETTING OFF THEIR ARSES

I actually meant paying your own money which i did not have to re-train. But that takes effort doesn`t it. We can all stand outside a post box hoping the next gullable fool honks his horn so we can give a hearty cheer as peoples livelehoods sit in the post box 2 feet away.

GET BACK TO WORK AND DO YOUR HOURS YOU LAZY GITS

Also, I think you will find that any council will wait a good deal of time before resorting to court action to recover funds.

3 days for some reason. still waiting for an explanation. Apparently its in the post. Oh....

Wrong - as a sole trader its your responsibility to make sure your bills are paid - in full and on-time!

I agree.

My customer agreed to pay in full and on time. And they have.

Its just that they posted the cheque 6 days ago, 18 miles away and it is still not here. I know they are good for their word beacuse it is a good friends mother we are talking about.

I agree.

My customer agreed to pay in full and on time. And they have.

No they havn't. Payment hasnt been made until the cash is in your account has it?

They live six miles away - and knowing the postal service were going on strike for periods which would effectively delay post for a week you both agreed that a posted cheque was the best method of payment? :blink:

For that amount Id have happily driven 12 miles to collect it, especially given your council's unusual approach to council tax payments.

You have been given a court summons over 1 missed payment 3 days late?

How very unusual.

Agreed. My wife and I have been property owners for ten years now. No late payments. Ever. And then this!?!

Like I said, the explanation is in the post. Not only are payments getting to me late but I have to put up with this.

We are meant to be in the local magistrates court a week Monday and don`t even know why.

But as long as an honest local tradesman is getting shafted after getting off his backside and doing something with his life is in court as a postman who does not want to work his full quota of hours stands by a full post box waiting for the next car horn to beep, then I guess thats ok.

No they havn't. Payment hasnt been made until the cash is in your account has it?

They live six miles away - and knowing the postal service were going on strike for periods which would effectively delay post for a week you both agreed that a posted cheque was the best method of payment? :blink:

For that amount Id have happily driven 12 miles to collect it, especially given your council's unusual approach to council tax payments.

18 miles away. 36 round trip in to Oxford. Anyone who knows Oxford knows that is a nightmare. Especially when I am busy in Swindon.

as a postman who does not want to work his full quota of hours stands by a full post box waiting for the next car horn to beep, then I guess thats ok.

And as long as misinformation like this is believed by the general populus then Crozier will continue to attempt to shaft honest workers.

Funny how the court summons has arrived but the cheque hasnt........

Amazing how working in debt recovery for years makes you very cynical isn't it? :unsure:

Alan - sorry - wasnt having a go at you personally! (honest) - most councils will wait months (sometimes years) before beginning any action through the courts.

If I where you I may drive over to their house pick up a new cheque and get them to cancel the other - and take that to the council offices

Payment is agreed with a customer as we both see fit.

We should not have to contemplate strikes.

I believe another is planned for next week.

It now gets to the point where I have to time the service to send an invoiceand the customer has to to time the service to send the cheque. Its adding a week plus.

Look we are getting side tracked here. My point is I wasn`t happy and did something about it personally.

They are not happy and shaft millions. That is the difference,its all about attitiude.

Payment is agreed with a customer as we both see fit.

Like I say, running your business is down to you. But with the best will in the world - a cheque posted last Wednesday was never going to arrive before the latter part of this week due to the strikes.

My credit card company wouldnt be as reasonable as you are being about your customer not getting the payment to you.

Aside - Of course you could always tell the council that the cheque is stuck in the post

My point is I wasn`t happy and did something about it personally.

Which is exactly what they are doing...... Mr Crozier is the man at fault - again.

Alan - sorry - wasnt having a go at you personally! (honest) - most councils will wait months (sometimes years) before beginning any action through the courts.

No offence take.

I would like to know how one late payment in ten years results in this.

Dare I say I am the wrong colour, religion, nationality?

A bit miffed with this country at the moment :(

stulwiky, when I said I did something about, I don`t mean i did nothing. e.g standing by a full box.

I borrowed money when we could not afford to, learnt the wiring regs, passed my part p test, sold my mondeo, bought a van, got the logo`s printed, got some business cards done, sorted out public liabilty insurance, posted letters to 55 local estate agents informing them of my services, advertised in the local media, on yell.com, on thomson, in the local news agents, drove around the county pinning up adverts and business cards. need i say more.

That is doing something about it to escape an occupation you are unhappy with. I don`t give a damn about Crozier. I know he is useless. Its up to the others to get on with it or get out.

I think that is where we disagree Alan.

The postal people have a right to defend their EXISTING conditions of work without being told to work more, with heavier rounds, more @#/? to deliver and for effectively less cash.

Good luck with your Council - the unreasonable gits. When I missed a payment last year my council responded positively to a phone call asking them to simply rearrange the remaining amount over the remaining months of the year (they also included the tradition missed months of February and March in the calculation so effectively reduced my monthly payment by spreading it over longer and not charging me interest - might be worth a try (then the cheque can clear when it eventually turns up)

Archived