BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Shearer's New Book

Rover95...."If he came back now I for one would give him a great reception - he was the best player I've ever seen in a Rovers shirt."

I totally agree with you there :tu:

Whilst at Rovers, Alan Shearer was the most outstanding footballer i`ve ever seen. We`ll never see the likes of him again. Yes he left under a bit of a cloud (the way he did it) but i think it`s time to appreciate what he did whilst at Blackburn Rovers. The day he came back & played in the Tony Parkes testimonial (i think it was?) with the 95 championship team, was the day i think most Blackburn fans ended the hurt. The BBE gave him the old SHEARER! SHEARER! bow chant & he showed us his appreciation (& scored).

I seriously doubt any 'town team' will ever win the premiership again (in my lifetime anyway)......not unless another Jack Walker comes along.

I totally agree with you there :tu:

Whilst at Rovers, Alan Shearer was the most outstanding footballer i`ve ever seen. We`ll never see the likes of him again. Yes he left under a bit of a cloud (the way he did it) but i think it`s time to appreciate what he did whilst at Blackburn Rovers. The day he came back & played in the Tony Parkes testimonial (i think it was?) with the 95 championship team, was the day i think most Blackburn fans ended the hurt. The BBE gave him the old SHEARER! SHEARER! bow chant & he showed us his appreciation (& scored).

I seriously doubt any 'town team' will ever win the premiership again (in my lifetime anyway)......not unless another Jack Walker comes along.

I know I am getting old and confusion is one of the nasty side effects, but I did come down to Ewood for the Tony Parkes testimonial match. It was billed as Rovers Present v Rovers '95, and Alan Shearer was invited along with the other '95 players. I am sure that he sent his apologies and was unable to appear, but then as I said I could be getting confused, and I am open to correction on this.

However, as I said I did attend and was highly entertained by seeing the likes of Ripley on the right wing for the '95 team and very moved by the reception TP got at the end; fully deserved I might add, for one who served his club so well for so long.

I know I am getting old and confusion is one of the nasty side effects, but I did come down to Ewood for the Tony Parkes testimonial match. It was billed as Rovers Present v Rovers '95, and Alan Shearer was invited along with the other '95 players. I am sure that he sent his apologies and was unable to appear, but then as I said I could be getting confused, and I am open to correction on this.

However, as I said I did attend and was highly entertained by seeing the likes of Ripley on the right wing for the '95 team and very moved by the reception TP got at the end; fully deserved I might add, for one who served his club so well for so long.

I think you're getting it confused with Garners.

That testimonial was the current side Vs the class of 95.

It was a season earlier than TPs if i remeber rightly.

I think you're getting it confused with Garners.

That testimonial was the current side Vs the class of 95.

It was a season earlier than TPs if i remeber rightly.

Oh dear! Yes you are so right northernrover. It was indeed Simon Garners that I came down for, and that is the one I had in mind. I remember more clearly now. SG played for about half the match only (his legs and lungs would not take any more than that), and Ripley had a good game on the RW for the '95 team. I had intended to come down for the TP match but could not make it at the last. It is terrible how the memory plays tricks on you when you get to my age. Thanks for putting me right. :)

Oh dear! Yes you are so right northernrover. It was indeed Simon Garners that I came down for, and that is the one I had in mind. I remember more clearly now. SG played for about half the match only (his legs and lungs would not take any more than that), and Ripley had a good game on the RW for the '95 team. I had intended to come down for the TP match but could not make it at the last. It is terrible how the memory plays tricks on you when you get to my age. Thanks for putting me right. :)

Simes didn't even play a half. He played about 10 mins, I think, because he'd done his hamstring or picked up a knock in a charity game a week before the testimonial.

Still a great day out!

Hopefully Shearer's appearance at the TP testimonial excorcised the previous disgraceful treatment of him. Thankfully he got a pretty good reception.

I was also heartened when the Rovers fans broke into a hearty rendition of "Shearer Wonderland" up at the Stadium of Light a few weeks ago.

That really rattled the native's cages! :lol:

I'm sure I remember reading that Blackburn had agreed to let Shearer go to Man U but only if Paul Scholes came in part exchange, which Ferguson (wisely?) wouldn't sanction. I'll see if I can dig out the newspaper report...

I'm sure I remember reading that Blackburn had agreed to let Shearer go to Man U but only if Paul Scholes came in part exchange, which Ferguson (wisely?) wouldn't sanction. I'll see if I can dig out the newspaper report...

I remember that now, just as you have mentioned it. We would still prob have gone down, why was there such an exodus after we won?

After buying his last book about winning the Championship wth Rovers, which must be a contender for most boring sports book ever written I think I'll pass this time. It was memorable for the line about celebrating a Rovers win by going home and creosoting the garden fence.

That was a shocking book, I borrowed it off a mate to read on a flight from London to Hong Kong - I finished it shortly after we passed Amsterdam.

I thought it was Sutton who didn't turn up?

BTW - Shearer was just turning 26 when he left us and was at the peak of his powers.

Also what would anyone ask him if had 2 mins to chat to him?.

Too late now, but:

(a) Why do you sit in The Match Of The Day studio with your knees about two metres apart?

(B) Do you care that you and Steve McClown are going similarly follically challenged?

( C) How many medals did you win since you moved to Newcastle?

Bitter Moi?

Too late now, but:

(a) Why do you sit in The Match Of The Day studio with your knees about two metres apart?

(B) Do you care that you and Steve McClown are going similarly follically challenged?

( C) How many medals did you win since you moved to Newcastle?

Bitter Moi?

To play Devil's advocate:

a) Perhaps he needs more room for "a reshuffle" than you do.

b ) At least Shearer isn't trying to hide it like Ginger Sven

c) Errrr............... fair point. Still better than him moving to the red scum though.

;)

Also what would anyone ask him if had 2 mins to chat to him?.

Considering that you would not deign to speak to the press when you were a player - and if you did spare us a moment of your precious time, were usually graceless, dull, obnoxious and rude - are you not a first-class hypocrite now to be earning a vastly over-inflated wage that you do not need working for a media industry for which you clearly used to have nothing but contempt ?

Considering that you would not deign to speak to the press when you were a player - and if you did spare us a moment of your precious time, were usually graceless, dull, obnoxious and rude - are you not a first-class hypocrite now to be earning a vastly over-inflated wage that you do not need working for a media industry for which you clearly used to have nothing but contempt ?

A journo scorned. :lol:

"Tough luck! Next question!" seems a realistic answer

Archived