BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Sky Tv Dates

Was looking forward to these fixtures but not at these dates although I will be at the home matches. All been said really. Sunderland could have been a great afternoon and we could have got lots of kids in to enjoy the occasion but I fear the Wednesday evening match will not be well attended :(

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The sad thing is as I understand it is that the extra Sky matches are going to earn Rovers NOTHING and lose the club money through the reduction in home gate monies on fixtures which could have been near sell outs and great ways of attracting new support.

The Sky formula now pays a minimum on TV appearances to every club but removes the obligation to show any club a minimum number of times. So a complete TV turn-off like the dingles could theoretically get to the Prem, benefit from masses of TV money but never actually be seen on TV!

Rovers are hardly being shown up to end November so four appearances in December is not going to trigger extra payments for getting over the minimum.

The only silver lining is that the TV bosses must have looked at the table and fixtures and reckoned that Rovers will be right in the top 4 mix come December- no other club is being shown more than we are that month. Maybe some "made for TV" performances from Rovers will win over some neutrals to the cause.

I'd like to add my two cents about the debate over footballer's wages. I don't think that the problem is the clubs, players, agents, SKY, or anything like that. I think that the problem, plain and simple, is the FANS. No team would spend silly money to bring in a bunch of foreign nationals if the vast majority of fans actually wanted to see local boys bleed for the shirt.

I am willing to concede that the problem is reinforced by television. Once a few fans are willing to pay a bunch of money to watch a team that's more comfortable speaking in French than English, simply because all they care about is challenging for a title, then the Television money starts to become more important, and the real fans that were left get priced out of the stadium. Kids from other parts of the country grow up supporting teams who aren't their local one, simply because they get so much Television coverage. I will buy this argument, but I still think that the problem really starts with fans who aren't interested in anything but silverware, regardless of who's winning it.

I was born and raised in the United States, in Richmond, VA. I have no connection to Blackburn at all, in any way, shape or form, so I guess I'm one to talk. Having fallen in love with the team, however, for reasons that I can't even begin to explain (although it probably started with Friedel), I'm not going to stop following if we don't challenge for the top 4/six/half. I'm not going to stop following the team if we get relegated. It seems to me, from a 1000 miles away, that there's no team in the premiership whose fans would all say the same thing.

I dunno, that's my opinion, for what it's worth. I'm willing to concede that it's probably not worth much, because I'm not exactly a local boy, and it must seem weird to hear something like this from a Rovers fan who's not yet been to Ewood. And by the way, I'm not talking about anyone on the board, or anyone in particular, I don't know anyone in particular.

From a personal and selfish point of view, the changes really help me. Im in London over Christmas, so wouldnt have been able to go to the boxing day game as public transport obviously isnt opperating. Moved to the 27th and its back to normal. Also having to come all the way up to blackburn from london on New yrs day with a brutal hangover wouldnt have been pleasant, but ive now got another day to recover.

However, im still really disappointed with the changes, the last bit of tradition is being taken away. I mean we've been hit esp hard, we would have easily sold out the larger allocation at city, now who knows! :brfc:

Is this straw which finally breaks the camels back?

I dunno Clure, few beers back at my gaff afterwards? I'll even get the clippers ready for Danny.

GGGRRRRRRRRRRR!!!!!!!!!!

I DO wish that people would use PM for Personal Mail. That is what it is for in case you didn't know.

Just imagine what it would be like on here if we all used it for personal and/or private little messages that nobody else can or even wants to understand. You should know better Stuwilky!

Im not bothered that the games have been moved. Moving boxing day and new years day games is good news in a way - at least the hangover from xmas and new years eve wont spoil it! See every cloud has a silver lining!

Im glad we are on TV because other fans will get to see just how much we are improving! However it might be when the media actually sit up and take notice if come mid december we are still top 6.

GGGRRRRRRRRRRR!!!!!!!!!!

I DO wish that people would use PM for Personal Mail. That is what it is for in case you didn't know.

Just imagine what it would be like on here if we all used it for personal and/or private little messages that nobody else can or even wants to understand. You should know better Stuwilky!

Behave yourself you big girl. There are a million and one things on here that must annoy someone or other and a few in jokes are way down the list. Calm down and have a word with yourself.

GGGRRRRRRRRRRR!!!!!!!!!!

And your post has nothing to do with the thread in question so just adds another post to wade through.

You could have just sent a PM as well!!!

And your post has nothing to do with the thread in question so just adds another post to wade through.

You could have just sent a PM as well!!!

And yours makes one more and so could you!

zzzzzz................... the "in crowd" ganging up on poor old Fife when he was technically in the right - even if he was being a tad overzealous!.

Back on topic, as for the changes to the fixtures I'm obviously in a minority of one but think there's a bit too much whinging going on. I know it's not ideal missing the traditional boxing day fixture but personally I couldn't care less whether we play on a Tuesday or a Wednesday or a Wednesday or a Thursday or a Saturday or a Sunday. And I don't really know why it should bother anyone else living locally either.

I sympathise fully with anyone travelling from afar for one of the original fixtures who now can't make it, but I'm afraid I'd much rather have the 30m + TV money and be competing at the level we are now than be kicking off at 3p.m. every Saturday and be competing in the championship (or lower)

The sad thing is as I understand it is that the extra Sky matches are going to earn Rovers NOTHING and lose the club money through the reduction in home gate monies on fixtures which could have been near sell outs and great ways of attracting new support.

The Sky formula now pays a minimum on TV appearances to every club but removes the obligation to show any club a minimum number of times. So a complete TV turn-off like the dingles could theoretically get to the Prem, benefit from masses of TV money but never actually be seen on TV!

Rovers are hardly being shown up to end November so four appearances in December is not going to trigger extra payments for getting over the minimum.

The only silver lining is that the TV bosses must have looked at the table and fixtures and reckoned that Rovers will be right in the top 4 mix come December- no other club is being shown more than we are that month. Maybe some "made for TV" performances from Rovers will win over some neutrals to the cause.

Which is all well and good, except that we wouldn't be getting 30 million a year if we weren't willing to hand over a few fixtures to Sky and Setanta. The other 'silver lining' is that televised games boost our national profile.

Anyway I don't THINK anyone else asked this...anyone know if we're on Setanta at all in December?

Which is all well and good, except that we wouldn't be getting 30 million a year if we weren't willing to hand over a few fixtures to Sky and Setanta. The other 'silver lining' is that televised games boost our national profile.

The key for Rovers is to earn themselves a positive Tv profile for a world wide and national audience that will sit up and take notice and enjoy and then hopefully more importantly they become supporters in the future.

The local market seems to be more or less exhausted.

Sorry for being blunt Rover but I have no idea where you've got that logic from! Do you honestly think that a Premiership manager (or board) would more or less allow fans to pick the team? Moreover, do the majority of club boards sincerely care about what the clubs' fans want? Or are they more interested in balancing the books or making profits? Your team can't simply be made up of pure locals, or even a majority of local players, in this day and age. You would get relegated and even suits know this (or are at least advised!).

Honestly, no problem with you being blunt. But with regard to your question, I do think that club boards are interested in balancing the books and making profits. To that end, they are interested in selling tickets. The feeling I get, just from following discussion on this board and a couple others, watching the games I can on TV in the U.S., and watching Sky Sports News when I can, is that there are a huge number of "football fans" who just sort of, follow a team that's winning all the time because they're winning and for no other reason, and presumably pay the ridiculous ticket prices at Stamford Bridge, Old Trafford, etc. etc.

As for the locals comments, I didn't really mean to imply that a team would or should be made up of purely local players. I think I was just trying to find a way to express my feeling that the reason teams pay so much money to the players is that the only thing which matters to fans anymore is winning. Winning puts fans in the seats. Even TV money is based somehow on winning, because frankly, advertisers will only pay to advertise on programs that are being watched, and presumably those teams which are winning get watched more. It's not that I envision some type of reform where teams would ask the fans which players they want in the team in coming years, I'm just saying that I think people should start to realize that fans are ultimately the reason boards and managers make decisions. Fans are the reason that there's money in the game at the end of the day, so any decisions motivated by profit motive are ultimately motivated by the fans' attitudes.

Does that elucidate my point at all? And don't be sorry to disagree or to respond bluntly. To a certain extent the reason that I throw my hat in the ring is because I'm a 1000 miles away and I'd love to get a little response in terms of whether or not I even understand the debate.

Back on topic, as for the changes to the fixtures I'm obviously in a minority of one but think there's a bit too much whinging going on. I know it's not ideal missing the traditional boxing day fixture but personally I couldn't care less whether we play on a Tuesday or a Wednesday or a Wednesday or a Thursday or a Saturday or a Sunday. And I don't really know why it should bother anyone else living locally either.

I sympathise fully with anyone travelling from afar for one of the original fixtures who now can't make it, but I'm afraid I'd much rather have the 30m + TV money and be competing at the level we are now than be kicking off at 3p.m. every Saturday and be competing in the championship (or lower)

Revidge, I'm gobsmacked - and I thought you're a traditionalist as well ;).

Looks like you been sucked into the bells and buckle brigade :lol:

Honestly, no problem with you being blunt. But with regard to your question, I do think that club boards are interested in balancing the books and making profits. To that end, they are interested in selling tickets. The feeling I get, just from following discussion on this board and a couple others, watching the games I can on TV in the U.S., and watching Sky Sports News when I can, is that there are a huge number of "football fans" who just sort of, follow a team that's winning all the time because they're winning and for no other reason, and presumably pay the ridiculous ticket prices at Stamford Bridge, Old Trafford, etc. etc.

As for the locals comments, I didn't really mean to imply that a team would or should be made up of purely local players. I think I was just trying to find a way to express my feeling that the reason teams pay so much money to the players is that the only thing which matters to fans anymore is winning. Winning puts fans in the seats. Even TV money is based somehow on winning, because frankly, advertisers will only pay to advertise on programs that are being watched, and presumably those teams which are winning get watched more. It's not that I envision some type of reform where teams would ask the fans which players they want in the team in coming years, I'm just saying that I think people should start to realize that fans are ultimately the reason boards and managers make decisions. Fans are the reason that there's money in the game at the end of the day, so any decisions motivated by profit motive are ultimately motivated by the fans' attitudes.

Does that elucidate my point at all? And don't be sorry to disagree or to respond bluntly. To a certain extent the reason that I throw my hat in the ring is because I'm a 1000 miles away and I'd love to get a little response in terms of whether or not I even understand the debate.

I think you raise some very interesting points there. While you haven't actually addressed the question or difference between two very different types of fan or supporter. I feel this thread, and the MB, reflects the views of, what I will call for want of a better description, the true fan, the week in, week out supporter. Much of what you say about TV revenues reflects the current popularity of televised football with a different type of supporter or the armchair fan. I'm not criticising either type, merely recognising the two. However it is the regular fan who suffers, all the traditions we have grown up with haver gone. Boxing Day and New Year's Day were the last two and this is why I, and I expect many others, are disappointed to find we are not playing on these days. I recognise change had to come about but I despair at the total lack of regard for the thousands who would want to turn out at Ewood on these days and now cannot.

Most fans over the age of about 30, IE followed the club before the SKY days will feel an amount of disappointment at the fact there will be no Boxing Day game and no New Years Day game, both of which promised to be big matches in front of big crowds. For me, it's part of the holiday season, part of tradition and so another piece of the game which I grew up watching is chipped away. In fact not just chipped away but has been carved off like a huge chunk of an Arctic ice berg drifting in the gulf stream.

The financial rewards for the shifting of the matches are well documented in this thread and are clear to all. But I find it a little sad really that this is where we find ourselves, selling our footballing souls to this degree.

Must just be me eh?

Im with revidge on this one. Anyone within an hours travel shouldnt really be bothered whether it is a monday, tuesday, boxing day, christmas day or wotever! £30+ and Premier football, or you can play in the championship, where we would still always be on tele, but get paid alot less cash!!

Like I said its an excuse to have a drink on the other days, you dont need an excuse for new years, boxing day etc!! :tu:

From my point of view it'd be everyone over 20 who are disappointed at the holiday match rearrangements :angry:

"We believe football is for fans"... isn't it now worrying that we're starting to 'campaign' this nowadays. Football has been bandwagoned by glory hunters and the £ and I think this is where our problems, as real fans, lies.

Archived