BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Flag Day At Reading Match

its difficult enough to 'manufacture' atmosphere and even harder if the club doesnt publicise it! :lol:

It was a suggestion made at the Fans' Forum meeting and I think it was really down to Forum members to publicise it. I hold my hand up and admit I forgot to post a thread on here until the middle of last week, but given the cynicism of posters above it doesn't sound like an earlier post would have had a more positive effect.

Guest fernhurstblue

it's not cynicism, its a realisation that this idea would never work.....much better would be to hang the flag's over the top tier of the blackburn end (anybody who has been to a away match in europe could tell you there are MORE than enough flags to gop the whole way across). LOSE OF ADVERTISING REVENUE i can hear you cry. The club can get no more than £25,000 a season from advertising there (and that's being generous), the club's turnover will be in excess of cica £50,000,000 this season and if they dont want to make a small concession (in percentage terms) then why should the fans bother with this half-assed attempt at 'manufacturing' atmosphere .....

rant over :rover:

it's not cynicism, its a realisation that this idea would never work.....much better would be to hang the flag's over the top tier of the blackburn end (anybody who has been to a away match in europe could tell you there are MORE than enough flags to gop the whole way across). LOSE OF ADVERTISING REVENUE i can hear you cry. The club can get no more than £25,000 a season from advertising there (and that's being generous), the club's turnover will be in excess of cica £50,000,000 this season and if they dont want to make a small concession (in percentage terms) then why should the fans bother with this half-assed attempt at 'manufacturing' atmosphere .....

It's not my place to defend the club but in this case it was the fans on the Forum who made the suggestion, based on what some fans had told them they wanted. It didn't work - there we are - let's think of something else.

It was a suggestion made at the Fans' Forum meeting and I think it was really down to Forum members to publicise it.

No doubt I'll get blamed for that too, just like the last FF initiative that I wasn't keen on getting involved with but agreed to advertise on here.

For the record, I wasn't even at the last meeting and had previously turned down the clubs offer of displaying flags on empty seats (which I think looks naff and just highlights the empty seats) when I enquired about using the at the time unused hordings.

(P.S. This isn't aimed at o2g, I'm not one to shoot the messanger ;) ).

flags??????????????? the only flag i saw at ewood was that big heavy one in the Darwen stand

Its no wonder the top tier is closed to people, I mean the weight of 2800 people and that flag is surely enough to bring the whole thing down around our ears?

No doubt I'll get blamed for that too, just like the last FF initiative that I wasn't keen on getting involved with but agreed to advertise on here.

For the record, I wasn't even at the last meeting and had previously turned down the clubs offer of displaying flags on empty seats (which I think looks naff and just highlights the empty seats) when I enquired about using the at the time unused hordings.

(P.S. This isn't aimed at o2g, I'm not one to shoot the messanger ;) ).

I am indeed just the messenger. I wasn't especially enthusiastic but it appeared that there were some who were so the FF thought it worth a try. As I said above - it didn't work - let's move on. All constructive ideas gratefully received....

That was exactly the original suggestion. However all the advertising hoardings in the BBE have been sold

Guest fernhurstblue

without wishing to sound negative, i don't think that there are any viable solutions other than the one suggested above ..... maybe the idea should be scrapped for this season with the FF lobbying hard during the rest of the season for it to be implemented for the start of the 08/09 season. maybe the club could commission some specially made ones that are the right 'drop' etc so they dont cover the windows on the exec boxes?

Guest fernhurstblue

if you had been to salzburg, feyenoord or leverkusen you could have but alas a casualty of the fk vetra to warsaw love bus :(

without wishing to sound negative, i don't think that there are any viable solutions other than the one suggested above ..... maybe the idea should be scrapped for this season with the FF lobbying hard during the rest of the season for it to be implemented for the start of the 08/09 season. maybe the club could commission some specially made ones that are the right 'drop' etc so they dont cover the windows on the exec boxes?

As StuWilky mentioned above the idea of flags over the top tier of the Blackburn End is a non-starter for this season as the space has been sold, but I'm happy to raise your proposal at the next FF meeting for next season.

I'm missing something here.

What will a load of flags hanging off the family stand at home league games do for Blackburn Rovers exactly?? I don't see how it will improve the atmosphere.

Are flag owning regulars from the Riverside / JW / BBE lower going to fight the crowds to trek up there before and after all 19 games to pitch and retrieve their flags?

I think Rovers should stick to taking the cash for the advertising space :rolleyes:

Guest fernhurstblue

and what are they gonnna do over seats in the darwen end every now and again ..... to be negative is easy! (or maybe your comments spills over from the leverkusen thread)

and what are they gonnna do over seats in the darwen end every now and again ..... to be negative is easy! (or maybe your comments spills over from the leverkusen thread)

Simply saying I don't think draping flags around Ewood Park is going to make a whole lot of difference, certainly not at the cost of losing a huge chunk of advertising space.

If people think differently then the Darwen End has been offered - which is visible to 95% of home fans and on TV and to the players - but apparently nobody's bothered, so probably best to put the whole idea to bed.

he club can get no more than £25,000 a season from advertising there (and that's being generous)

PS - think you've got no idea what that particular prime advertising space is worth. It's the main spot for displaying the name of the stand sponsor.

The £25,000 you mention isn't even enough to get a 6 seat executive box at Ewood - they start at £21,000 plus VAT for the season.

I'm sure if you shell that out, Rovers will let you hang your flag over your own exec box window - then everyone's a winner! :tu:

Archived