BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Re-installing Windows On A Laptop

Hi.

I need to re-install Windows (XP) on a laptop and I know there is a pre-installation of Windows on it, so I do not need to muck about with CDs.

I think it is during the start-up process I need to press a button to access it, although I don't know which one and don't exactly know when.

I have tried Googling, but obviously I'm using the wrong search terms, because I haven't come up with an answer yet.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Simplest way to do it is to use a bootable Windows XP CD. Bootable means that you can start your computer from that CD instead of the hard drive. You need to have that into your CD-ROM drive, then restart your comp. Then access the BIOS setup by pressing F2 during the start up process. In BIOS you must set the boot sequence to use the CD-ROM drive instead of the hard drive. The exact menu where you find this setting differs according to your motherboard/BIOS version. Restart your computer again and it should ask you if you want to run the Setup from the CD.

Yes, but I don't have a Windows XP CD, which is why I ask. Configuring the boot sequence is my speciality. ;) I could get my hands on a copy if I tried, but would rather not go through the hassle. Surely there is someone out there who knows how to access a pre-installation?

Yes, but I don't have a Windows XP CD, which is why I ask. Configuring the boot sequence is my speciality. ;) I could get my hands on a copy if I tried, but would rather not go through the hassle. Surely there is someone out there who knows how to access a pre-installation?

I don't exactly know what you mean by pre-installation. If you want to reinstall Windows you will need a setup kit, either on your hard drive or CD-ROM. If you need to change some utilities installed within windows you will also need a setup batch.... To access the boot options on start up you press F8, as Cocker also mentioned I think

I don't exactly know what you mean by pre-installation. If you want to reinstall Windows you will need a setup kit, either on your hard drive or CD-ROM. If you need to change some utilities installed within windows you will also need a setup batch.... To access the boot options on start up you press F8, as Cocker also mentioned I think

It's on the hard drive, so how would I access it specifically? So I'm told, you don't need to muck about with CDs in this case.

It's on the hard drive, so how would I access it specifically? So I'm told, you don't need to muck about with CDs in this case.

To be honest, thats a new one for me. The windows files and folders are of course saved onto every machine but I am not sure that you can reinstall just from these files.

I am near 100% that you will need the cd

On the specific laptop I can press the "Access IBM" button during start-up and it gives me an option to "restore factory default settings". I think this is what I might be referring to. I am signing up to a support forum for this particular type of laptop where I will find out whether it does exactly what I think it does (i.e. format what's left of the hard drive, re-install Windows, including drivers, etc., making the laptop looking as it did [virtually] when it was bought).

I'm fairly sure there is a specific function like this on my own laptop (possibly pressing alt+f10 during start-up or something similar).

Recovery from the laptop is definately possible. It's mainly a feature on newer laptops (and PCs). The files are all put onto a partition that's usually hidden from Windows, although my HP PC at work has a D: drive that's visible.

These's PCs/Laptops will usually flash up a message on boot on how to enter the 'Recovery mode', and it's different depending on the make/model. HPs, it's just a case of pressing F10.

The factory settings mode you've found sounds like it could be it. If I remember right, mine gives me the option to backup existing files on C: and then wipe or just completely wipe it (factory reset).

Archived