• Emerton
    • Dunn
    • Pedersen
    • McCarthy
    • Santa Cruz

• Replies 408
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Sooner or later the harsh reality has to be faced up to- our drummer is no musician.

I was picking up the BBE singing and the BBE drumming on the particular station I was tuned to and more often than not they were not together. On several occasions the intervention of the drum killed the chant within about ten bars (music not hand pumps!).

The drummer has to realise that on Saturday there was one (or was it three?) of him/them and at times over 10,000 singing.

The drummer is the accompanist- he can change his beat and tempo to fit in with the singers but an undirected rabble of 10,000 chanting football supporters has a dynamic of its own and for sure are not going to fall in line with the drum.

When I put up that clip of Larissa fans at Ewood, some people posted saying they hadn't realised the Monsters had brought a drum to which my response is that shows how brilliant their drummer is. Perfectly in time, perfectly synchopated and got 700 of them singing so loudly together he acted like an audio equivalent of a highlight marker as opposed to crudely applied masking tape which is the job our guy does.

Exactly Philip - every Korean game you will see and hear a few drummers and they are very good. They follow the songs and manage all different kinds of beats. As you say they accompany the singing and make it that much more powerful.

They do practice though. Being a drummer at the game is a much sought-after position -you have to be good and do the business or you'll be replaced.

Well for that fact alone he gotta go. If I were a neutral watching on Saturday I'd have concluded Rovers are a lousy team to follow owing to the fans lack of enthusiasm - it wouldn't occur to me that this is cos of a drummer!

The other solution would be to tell the drummer to move to the very top of the BBE (Row A, or Z - I forget), from the one shot I saw of him he was right at the front. The problem with the disjointed singing most likely arises from the fact that each drumbeat "sound" (or wave) travels slowly, all the way to the top of the BBE gets reverberated in all directions by the cavernous wall and roof and back out again. If, by all accounts, the top of the BBE is where the singers are then it would be more sensible for him to be there and be using the walls and roof to amplify the noise rather than bounce it and cause an almost seamless reverb. Then telly could turn the mikes back up and everyone could sing in time.

Or we could just shoot the drummer. ;)

One of the primary microphones is directly behind the goal. OH! Where does the Drummer sit?

If Drummer was moved to top o Blackburnn End, he would end up with a broken drum.

Archived